Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Upgrading to Genie questions?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jcmwwe

jcmwwe

Mentor

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:31 AM

Hi i was told yesterday that i could upgrade to genie for free because i have the protection plan. What i was wondering is how much more a month does it cost to have genie then the then having a hd dvr plan? I am currently paying for choice xtra plus paying $10 for hd advanced receiver monthly and $10 for advanced receiver dvr monthly and $6 for additional tv receiver a month. What does it cost for genie plus 1 mini a month? Is it much more then i currently have to upgrade to genie a month? If anyone knows or having already upgraded please let me know. Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:38 AM

If you straight replace a DVR with a Genie there is no change in cost. Adding on a mini is the same as an additional receiver so it would be $6/month. You don't need a mini in order to have a Genie, so you could still use your current receivers/DVRs that you have. Also, if you don't have it now, you can also look at adding Whole Home to your plan so that you can watch recordings off of any receiver for $5/month. If you do opt to replace a receiver with a mini client, you will need Whole Home in order for you to delete recordings on the Genie from the mini client.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   jcmwwe

jcmwwe

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:40 AM

So how much more a month does it cost then?

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,109 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:00 AM

If the genie and client are replacing your current boxes, with no additions, there is no additional receiver/client fee. If you are adding a box, it's $6 per box. You would need to have Whole Home, which is $3 a month.

#5 OFFLINE   jcmwwe

jcmwwe

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:02 AM

So would be $3 extra a month for whole home dvr then? Also do u have genie? Do u like it? Thanks.

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,489 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:19 AM

deleted 

Edited by peds48, 31 May 2013 - 11:31 AM.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,489 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:31 AM

So would be $3 extra a month for whole home dvr then? Also do u have genie? Do u like it? Thanks.

of course we our Genies, specially when they look like this....

http://en.wikipedia....i/Hannah_Davis_(model)

:rolling:

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,109 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:22 PM

Yes, Whole home is required, and since you have had a DirecTV account, it's not built into the Advanced DVR fee.

I've had my Genie since December 2011. Wouldn't give it up.

#9 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 584 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:44 PM

I have whole home, HR34, HR24 and HR22. Love the setup and my HR34. Add just the HR34 (or HR44 if your lucky) and whole home and you will be a happy camper me thinks...

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#10 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:26 PM

I was able to get a Genie for free and had it over a year as well and love it!  Having 5 tuners, so you can record 4 programs and still have a tuner to watch something live is great.  Double the storage of an HR DVR, double the series recordings and PIP also come in handy.   Go for it!

Edited by RACJ2, 01 June 2013 - 01:26 PM.

HR34-700, HR22-100

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,489 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:38 PM

I was able to get a Genie for free and had it over a year as well and love it!  Having 5 tuners, so you can record 4 programs and still have a tuner to watch something live is great.  Double the storage of an HR DVR, double the series recordings and PIP also come in handy.   Go for it!

Big plus, at least on my books!

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   TermiNader

TermiNader

DIRECTV since 1997

• Registered
  • 141 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:59 PM

I plan to do do a similar setup by replacing one of my HR20's with a Genie and keeping my HR24 and other HR20 connected.

I called DIRECTV today and said 'cancel service'.  I explained to the first person that talked to me why I was conisdering DISH even though I've had DIRECTV for 16 years.  He explained all the limitations of the Hopper.  Then he said I could get the Genie for free with just a $50 installation fee.

I have whole home, HR34, HR24 and HR22. Love the setup and my HR34. Add just the HR34 (or HR44 if your lucky) and whole home and you will be a happy camper me thinks...

#13 OFFLINE   HallOfPromise

HallOfPromise

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:35 PM

I had the same question with a similar setup. Good to know there is now "advance Genie" fee or something. My contract is up this month, I believe. 

I get a $10 credit for HD since I signed for HD for Life two years ago. I hope "for life" doesn't mean anything other than for life. However, if I upgrade to the Genie will I lose the HD credit? I notice they have many different fees for different things and I am afraid if I get the Genie I will be paying for a different advanced tv/dvr fee which may eliminate the HD cradit. Do I get to keep my HD for free?

#14 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,489 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:19 PM

I had the same question with a similar setup. Good to know there is now "advance Genie" fee or something. My contract is up this month, I believe. 

I get a $10 credit for HD since I signed for HD for Life two years ago. I hope "for life" doesn't mean anything other than for life. However, if I upgrade to the Genie will I lose the HD credit? I notice they have many different fees for different things and I am afraid if I get the Genie I will be paying for a different advanced tv/dvr fee which may eliminate the HD cradit. Do I get to keep my HD for free?

No, the new fee structure is for new customers as of 2/2013

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...