Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Your thoughts on Genie?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   jcmwwe

jcmwwe

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:31 PM

Because i would be keeping a hr22. And that works fine with the genie? Also how did u get to keep it? Just tell them u want to keep it and set it up with the genie instead of replacing it with a mini? Please let me know. Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,518 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:41 PM

Just say you want a Genie. All H and HR boxes work with the Genie except for the H20, which you don't have. No need for a client at all, unless you want to manage the Genie from another room, or you want to be able to rewind/pause live TV in a room where you don't want a DVR.

If someone at DirecTV said a Genie client was required, they are wrong. The Whole Home DVR fee is required, but has nothing to do with clients.

#23 OFFLINE   Crow159

Crow159

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:47 PM

I have a question about the Genie Recommends feature. The shows that it records and recommends, can those shows be played by other HDDVRs or only the Genie and it's clients?

Slimline 3 dish with a SWM-16
HR34-700 with Deca MRV

HR24-100 with Deca MRV
HR21-100 with Deca MRV
HR21-700 with Deca MRV

#24 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,183 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:00 PM

What do u mean client with tuners? Can u keep your old hd dvr box instead of getting a genie mini?

Yes, that's the only way for me, which let's the Genie always have access to 5 tuners, and everything is independent. Works great.

DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#25 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:10 PM

I have had the Genie for about three months now. Love that I don't have to worry about recording conflict. If I had to do it again, I would just get two receiver with clients as I don't really need more than five tunners.

Edited by yosoyellobo, 31 May 2013 - 01:11 PM.

#26 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,913 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:17 PM

I probably shouldn't type this because I've never had a failure of an HR box.  Knock on WOOD!!!

But the only drawback I can see with the genie is losing 1TB of programs.  I've got 2 HR20-700s from 2007/08 and 2 HR22-100s from 2009 and a 24 from 2010 or 11 that continue to work nicely with the Genie.  Everybody can see / play from everybody.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#27 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:35 PM

Love the HR44. Beast DVR with 5 tuners, PIP, and 200+ HD hours of storage. In my case I only use clients with tuners (H2x), thus the Genie is fast and can do it's magic with always having access to 5 tuners for recording.

I'm getting a Genie HR34 next week. How do I get the HR 44 like you have or is it just luck of the draw? I believe the HR 44 has built in wi-fi and is quite a bit smaller. Is this correct?

Edited by ep1974, 31 May 2013 - 01:39 PM.

#28 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,183 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:49 PM

I'm getting a Genie HR34 next week. How do I get the HR 44 like you have or is it just luck of the draw? I believe the HR 44 has built in wi-fi and is quite a bit smaller. Is this correct?

Yep, the HR44 is the better version of the HR34 with WiFi for the Internet connection, faster, smaller ...

The clients are additional, whether they be mini-clients (Cxx) that need the HR44 to server content, or the usual HR2x/H2x HD DVRs/receivers that can access the Genie content via MRV.

DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#29 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,517 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:07 PM

Also how did u get to keep it? Just tell them u want to keep it and set it up with the genie instead of replacing it with a mini? Please let me know. Thanks

Say "I'd like to get a Genie to replace one of my HD DVR's.  I don't need any clients because I would like to keep my other HD DVR."

#30 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:22 PM

Yep, the HR44 is the better version of the HR34 with WiFi for the Internet connection, faster, smaller ...

The clients are additional, whether they be mini-clients (Cxx) that need the HR44 to server content, or the usual HR2x/H2x HD DVRs/receivers that can access the Genie content via MRV.

Thank you. Did you just ask for the HR 44 or is it just luck if you get one? Thanks.

#31 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,183 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:24 PM

Thank you. Did you just ask for the HR 44 or is it just luck if you get one? Thanks.

There are several threads here at DBSTalk on the subject of HR44 availability. The only sure way of getting an HR44 is through a reseller such as Solid Signal, but there are many here who have also either been in the initial trial markets, or the new national rollout markets, who have been fortunate to get an HR44. One Genie per household for now.

#32 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:18 PM

There are several threads here at DBSTalk on the subject of HR44 availability. The only sure way of getting an HR44 is through a reseller such as Solid Signal, but there are many here who have also either been in the initial trial markets, or the new national rollout markets, who have been fortunate to get an HR44. One Genie per household for now.

Thank you.

#33 OFFLINE   jforkner

jforkner

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts
  • LocationCopperopolis, CA

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:27 AM

Just curious...is Genie not a single point of failure in the system.  In other words, if one had, say, five TVs connected via the Genie, and it failed ( or hiccupped), wouldn't you loose the ability to watch a show on any of the TVs?  As opposed to having multiple receivers?

Jack

#34 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,329 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:38 AM

Just curious...is Genie not a single point of failure in the system. In other words, if one had, say, five TVs connected via the Genie, and it failed ( or hiccupped), wouldn't you loose the ability to watch a show on any of the TVs? As opposed to having multiple receivers?

Jack

Right on! This is why I would never recommend having a system of only a genie and clients

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#35 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:27 AM

I love the Genie (HR44) for its five tuners so no more recording conflicts, but also to compliment the HR24 with 7 tuners with 2tb EHD, and Whole Home playback nicely now that I have the HR44 since it always lags on remote recordings from the HR22 it replaced
And I also have a H24 HD receiver to schedule recordings on both the HR44 and HR24, But the best part was that I got it free with no install fee with the upgrade which I never expected, Otherwise I would have bought from a retailer like Solidsignal.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#36 OFFLINE   AMike

AMike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 380 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:19 AM

I've had my HR34 for about a year and love it.  I have an HR 24 and several H25's part of my setup here.  The whole-home solution works flawlessly.

DirecTV subscriber 1999-2011, 2012 - present
Comcast subscriber 2011-2012, 2013 - 2014

#37 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:37 PM

<p>I like the Genie just because I can record up to 5 shows at once. I've always had conflicting recording with just two turners. That is the main reason why I switched to Genie. The recommend recordings that Genie offer is hit or miss. I have it turned on, just in case there is nothing to watch, but I never use it. I would rather go read a book or play outside :). I have yet to run out of disk space. That is another reason why I got the Genie.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I can't go back to two tuner dvr.</p>

+1
  • toobs likes this

#38 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:21 PM

I have a question about the Genie Recommends feature. The shows that it records and recommends, can those shows be played by other HDDVRs or only the Genie and it's clients?

Guess no one wants to answer this one. :sure:

OK I will

In short NO it doesn't have the Genie recommends list on the other HD DVRs.

Its still the list of 8 under the " MY Directv " of whats currently on.

But HD DVRs are still fully functional in the VOD section so there is nothing the Genie gets that the HRs don't as far as programming.

Just a side note, I will never upgrade to a C31 unless Directv wants to drop of the HR44 along with it.

My next Upgrade I'm dropping one H25 and upgrading to the HR24.

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#39 OFFLINE   glick1

glick1

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:46 PM

Was having constant audio drops with the hr24. Directv upgraded me to the hr44 and no more drops.

To say i am a fan of the hr44 is an understatement!

It is faster than the hr24. It's smaller and seems to hold a wireless signal better than the cinema modem.

#40 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,341 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:52 PM

That is good news indeed. I suspect now, as earlier, that something was rotten in the state of that particular box. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...