Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Your thoughts on Genie?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   APorter

APorter

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:31 AM

Varies slightly between new customer and returning customer but what peds is saying is the HD DVR would be $99 with the order instead of the usual $199.

Thanks

My Set-up:
Slimline Swm
Family Room: HR44-500 - Samsung LN52A630
Master Bedroom: C41-700 - Samsung UN40EH5300FXZA

Media/Bar Room: C41-700 - Epson 8100 102" screen 
Kids Room: H25-700

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Joe166

Joe166

AllStar

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:02 AM

I have had my HR34 for several months.   About two months ago it started playing back recordings with serious shudder and would sometimes freeze and not allow ff or rewind.   After several RBR's, I called and they came out, saw that the playback problem was on all the sets, and only on recordings from the genie, so they replaced it with another HR34.   No problems since then.   I am not sure I want an HR44 since (I could easily be wrong) from my reading, it seems to require the RF setting and I have a slingbox connected to my receiver (I travel a fair amount and don't want to miss local sporting events) and when I had switched to an RF setting before, my slingbox stopped being able to control the box and slingbox tech support said slingbox (even the new one) doesn't support RF so it would not turn my box on or off.   

I guess I could set my slingbox up in another room with one of my HR24's (I have two), 

But, in sum, I like my genie and appreciate the ability to record that many shows and if I get in a pinch, I can use one of my other recorders.   

#63 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,174 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:26 AM

I am not sure I want an HR44 since (I could easily be wrong) from my reading, it seems to require the RF setting and I have a slingbox connected to my receiver (I travel a fair amount and don't want to miss local sporting events) and when I had switched to an RF setting before, my slingbox stopped being able to control the box and slingbox tech support said slingbox (even the new one) doesn't support RF so it would not turn my box on or off.   

I guess I could set my slingbox up in another room with one of my HR24's (I have two), 

But, in sum, I like my genie and appreciate the ability to record that many shows and if I get in a pinch, I can use one of my other recorders.   

That is one of the really nice things about the HR44 is that both RF and IR are active at the same time.  In my case the TV in the garage is mirrored off the living room. Obviously need RF in the garage but that meant with the HR24 I could not use my Harmony to control the DVR.  Now with the HR44 it is no problem. 

Also, the HR44 does not require RF at all. The remote even comes preset for IR.  The unique thing about the HR44 in RF is that it uses a different RF format so none of the standard DirecTV RF remotes will work. You must use the RC71

My Setup

#64 OFFLINE   APorter

APorter

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:29 PM

Back a part of the Directv family.  Install went very well today.  I ended up going with the Genie (HR44), 2 clients, and a H25.  Installer did a great job, installed a new slimline and ran new coax (thought he would just use what was already there), closet neatly wired, and picked everything up outside.  It was a hot day so I had a couple bottles of gatorade for him.  I would have offered an adult beverage but he had another run to make. So far impressed with the speed of the HR44 compared to my year with the Cincinnati Bell Fioptics DVR box.  Off to go setup all my recordings.

Edited by APorter, 22 June 2013 - 07:57 PM.

My Set-up:
Slimline Swm
Family Room: HR44-500 - Samsung LN52A630
Master Bedroom: C41-700 - Samsung UN40EH5300FXZA

Media/Bar Room: C41-700 - Epson 8100 102" screen 
Kids Room: H25-700

#65 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,132 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:36 PM

Back a part of the Directv family. Install when very well today. I ended up going with the Genie (HR44), 2 clients, and a H25. Installer did a great job, installed a new slimline and ran new coax (thought he would just use what was already there), closet neatly wired, and picked everything up outside. It was a hot day so I had a couple bottles of gatorade for him. I would have offered an adult beverage but he had another run to make. So far impressed with the speed of the HR44 compared to my year with the Cincinnati Bell Fioptics DVR box. Off to go setup all my recordings.

Welcome back. I have Fioptics as well, but would ne'er use them for TV service.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...