Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

GenieGO for Android now available! Issues/Discussion

DIRECTV GenieGO Nomad Android iPad

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   runandhide05

runandhide05

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:40 PM

Can you hack it to improve the video quality too?

no its transcoded in a very low quality on the nomad geniego, that said, i cleaned up some stuff, see OP on my thread for more details.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Combat Medic

Combat Medic

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:33 AM

no its transcoded in a very low quality on the nomad geniego, that said, i cleaned up some stuff, see OP on my thread for more details.

Hey....while you are in the code...can you make it save to SD cards?  :righton:

#23 OFFLINE   runandhide05

runandhide05

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:42 PM

Hey....while you are in the code...can you make it save to SD cards?  :righton:

well here is the thing on that one, 

it was build like that for a reason, and heres why, your internal memory aka "internal sdcard" which is not actually an sdcard its just flash memory is and will always be at /data/media/ 

so you create an app using the code for SQLiteDatabase and its just going to save that app data ( in this case the downloaded videos ) to the Android/data location on the "internal sdcard" /data/media.

now as one who has had many android devices in my hand, the external sd card is almost ALWAYS a different mount point from manufacturer to manufacturer so to write an app to save to exteranl sd card is a heck of a lot more difficult.

That said, there are plenty of methods and apps avaible to "move" apps and their app data to the external sd card

you can use apps like link2sd, App2sd and so on, a quick google search will find more. and as for methods you can also do something similar to this  http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=2285221

the last method, and if you have formated your external card correctly would be my fav and easiest. symlink the /data/media/Android/data/com.directv.application.go.production folder to somewhere on your external sd card. and this method is great when you have LARGE games for something eating up your limited internal memory.

and all of this is said just from what i know/remember. some of the info may be off. just its been a while since ive actually written an app for android 

hope that helps bud

• Steve likes this

#24 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,645 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:17 PM

well here is the thing on that one, 

it was build like that for a reason, and heres why, your internal memory aka "internal sdcard" which is not actually an sdcard its just flash memory is and will always be at /data/media/ 

so you create an app using the code for SQLiteDatabase and its just going to save that app data ( in this case the downloaded videos ) to the Android/data location on the "internal sdcard" /data/media.

now as one who has had many android devices in my hand, the external sd card is almost ALWAYS a different mount point from manufacturer to manufacturer so to write an app to save to exteranl sd card is a heck of a lot more difficult.

That said, there are plenty of methods and apps avaible to "move" apps and their app data to the external sd card

you can use apps like link2sd, App2sd and so on, a quick google search will find more. and as for methods you can also do something similar to this  http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=2285221

the last method, and if you have formated your external card correctly would be my fav and easiest. symlink the /data/media/Android/data/com.directv.application.go.production folder to somewhere on your external sd card. and this method is great when you have LARGE games for something eating up your limited internal memory.

and all of this is said just from what i know/remember. some of the info may be off. just its been a while since ive actually written an app for android 

hope that helps bud

I don't have an Android device, ATM, but i figured someone should like this post. Great info, IMHO! :up:

/steve

#25 OFFLINE   Combat Medic

Combat Medic

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:49 AM

hope that helps bud

Thank you very much for the pointer. I can work with that.

#26 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:19 PM

TBH I understand the underlying legal reason they dont support rooted devices. I would hope that D* would get a little more realistic and realize there is a large number of users that do root for varying reasons 99% of which wouldnt do it to steal D* content. Myself for example my last phone was rooted and running custom roms from day one. My new Galaxy S4 the only reason I have rooted it so far is to take out the T-mobile startup and shutdown sounds as they were so loud they were making distorted cracking and poping sounds so I removed them. 

The popup that calls it security tampered.... maybe try altered it sounds less inflammatory. It may be splitting hairs but..

#27 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,821 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:24 PM

You can say D* should be a little more realistic but how do they decide who's rooting for one purpose or another.  With their contracts, it's nothing to decide.

Maybe you leave your front door open. . . just ask the guys coming in what their intentions are?

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#28 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,923 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:24 PM

TBH I understand the underlying legal reason they dont support rooted devices. I would hope that D* would get a little more realistic and realize there is a large number of users that do root for varying reasons 99% of which wouldnt do it to steal D* content. Myself for example my last phone was rooted and running custom roms from day one. My new Galaxy S4 the only reason I have rooted it so far is to take out the T-mobile startup and shutdown sounds as they were so loud they were making distorted cracking and poping sounds so I removed them.

The popup that calls it security tampered.... maybe try altered it sounds less inflammatory. It may be splitting hairs but..

Since you altered the software that is supported by DirecTV, now you are on your own to try to find the solution that works. I have a JB iPhone, and I was not expected DirecTV to support this software, as such I took upon myself to find a solution, which I did

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#29 OFFLINE   runandhide05

runandhide05

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:46 PM

Well here is my take on this one... Question one why block rooted users? Answer1 (imo)To protect content. Q2 what content? A2 the downloaded transcoded mp4 files. Q3 isnt the raw mp4 encrypted anyways? A3 yes. Q4 do you even need root access to pull the download mp4? A4 no, because its saved to the user accessable internal storage.(then why the heck block rooted users? ) Q5What content are they wanting to protect? A5 beats me??? Conclusion... blame hollywood. I know what sounds like a stupid answer but imo that is DIRECTLY why. People have a complete misconception that because something is rooted that means we can steal anything. Which is a very popular misconception amoung Hollywood. If you/they/incertperonstoblamehere were to think about it for just a moment. The SAME exact content, encryption, and DRM restrictions apply to the windows version of geniego and yet anyone can navigate to the c:/ and see and copy any and all content just as easily, which come back around full circle. .. root=bad news... which is a stereotype that will likely never change. And thata why people like myself "fix" the unneeded restrictions. Now if others would stop pirating apps and doing ill intended acts then maybe this would not be needed, or possibly one could blame google themselves for making such an open OS. I hate Apple for many reasons, yet without modification you can not simole download an app and install it manually. Where as a completely 100% stock android device can. So maybe we( I use we very loosely) are to blame for the minor inconvenience or its possible the "man" is to blame... one may never know. /offtopicrant Sent from my SCH-I605 using DBSTalk mobile app

Edited by runandhide05, 03 June 2013 - 08:48 PM.

#30 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:28 PM

runandhide05, you could have skipped to "blame canadawood" in one step. :)

While rooting doesn't give any different access to the mp4 files, it might, in theory grant someone access to the data after decryption as it goes to the screen or player. Which is exactly how other security technologies have been broken.

Peace,

Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#31 OFFLINE   Combat Medic

Combat Medic

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:04 AM

I just got an odd popup. I tried to download a movie to my Nexus 7 and was told that it exceeded the 3 hour limit that could be downloaded. I wonder why that limit exists.

#32 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,042 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:05 PM

I just got an odd popup. I tried to download a movie to my Nexus 7 and was told that it exceeded the 3 hour limit that could be downloaded. I wonder why that limit exists.

Good question. I have seen this popup as well when attempting to transcode - even a 3 hour and 4 minute program had that popup appear. So it seems quite specific to that timeframe.

The really disappointing thing is that many events, like golf tournaments, basketball games, football games, etc....all generally last 4 -4 1/2 hours. This makes the 3-hour limit a severe limitation to many users. Perhaps it will be resolved in the future.

DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#33 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,927 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:06 PM

Just some observations, for any that are interested...

I have a HTC Droid DNA (runs Android 4.1.1) which is not on the "explicitly supported list" but certainly falls within the requirements on the app's Google Play page ("Compatible with most Android devices running OS v2.3.4 or later").  However, Google Play shows it as not compatible and will not install it.  I side-loaded it and it refused to run, claiming that my DNA is rooted (it is not).  So, I downloaded the hacked apk, and it works fine.  In fact, playback is very nice on the 1280x1024 screen. :)

• Tom Servo likes this

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#34 OFFLINE   runandhide05

runandhide05

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:08 PM

The only thing I can think of is that some older linux kernels ( and lets face it almost everything runs on a linux kerel or unix kernel) combine with ext2/3 format has/had a 2Gb file size limitation. Since 30 min show was about 300~400Mb it stands to reason that its possible that a three hour movie may exceed that limitation. And there is no way of knowing what the kernel version or even the format of the geniego memory is.
And lets say that tge geniego can handle it. your android device may not be able to handle a + 2Gb file.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using DBSTalk mobile app

#35 OFFLINE   ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,119 posts
  • LocationCMH

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:53 PM

You can say D* should be a little more realistic but how do they decide who's rooting for one purpose or another.  With their contracts, it's nothing to decide.

Maybe you leave your front door open. . . just ask the guys coming in what their intentions are?

Why did HBO Go and netflix work on rooted devices? Amazon locks you into Kindle for non-copyright issues, like Apple with iTunes, but I suspect that Hulu and Redbox also work on rooted devices.

On the bright side, at least it's free (with the purchase of their hardware) unlike Slingbox which charges $20 for the tablet app, so they have that going for them.

At the end of the day, the fact remains that with all the other options for streaming out there, it's hard to understand why this one has the restrictions and quality issues that it does.  If you think the quality is good, then try recording something in syndication, like old Big Bang shows or something, and see what it looks like via GenieGo and Netflix. If you think it's the same, well, I hope you get those cataracts taken care of.

It's pretty obvious that it's a wildly unpopular option, and not a good PR move for them. ATM the app is rated 2.1 stars out of five. For the short time it's been out, that's a lot of 1 star ratings )57) compared to even 2 or above (26 total), more than 2 to 1.

:pinkie:

#36 OFFLINE   runandhide05

runandhide05

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:33 PM

Why did HBO Go and netflix work on rooted devices? Amazon locks you into Kindle for non-copyright issues, like Apple with iTunes, but I suspect that Hulu and Redbox also work on rooted devices.

Netflix when first launches did the same thing. Blocked rooted users, but quickly changed that

On the bright side, at least it's free (with the purchase of their hardware) unlike Slingbox which charges $20 for the tablet app, so they have that going for them.

At the end of the day, the fact remains that with all the other options for streaming out there, it's hard to understand why this one has the restrictions and quality issues that it does. If you think the quality is good, then try recording something in syndication, like old Big Bang shows or something, and see what it looks like via GenieGo and Netflix. If you think it's the same, well, I hope you get those cataracts taken care of.

Well its transcodes to a 640x480 res so its to be expected thats its no HD...lol

It's pretty obvious that it's a wildly unpopular option, and not a good PR move for them. ATM the app is rated 2.1 stars out of five. For the short time it's been out, that's a lot of 1 star ratings )57) compared to even 2 or above (26 total), more than 2 to 1.

Whats sad is id say almost all of thise are due to the restrictions and not even the actual features or functionality

#37 OFFLINE   ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,119 posts
  • LocationCMH

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:30 AM

Whats sad is id say almost all of thise are due to the restrictions and not even the actual features or functionality

That's because they can't use it due to the device and roto restrictions. I doubt it would be much higher if they could actually use it, given the downrezing

:pinkie:

#38 OFFLINE   nps_ca

nps_ca

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:02 PM

Running this on a rooted device NO issues.   Use SuperSU instead and whenever you need to run GenieGo disable superuser in the SuperSU UI - you do NOT need to reboot or anything like that....  Re-enable also doesn't need a reboot.

To be honest I've stopped keeping Superuser on always with SuperSU to just ensure no apps with root approved do things when I'm not using them

#39 OFFLINE   kpfleming

kpfleming

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:47 AM

Just for grins, I tried talking to DTV tech support about the fact that the Play Store would not install the GenieGO app on my TF700T. At the time I called, I hadn't yet bought the box, because I was trying to be sure I'd be able to use it (I should have checked here first...). That conversation was laughable, and resulted in the support person telling me that it wouldn't install because I didn't have the box on my network!

Of course, I was able to install the app on my Galaxy S3 with no problem, so I bought the box. It arrived on Wednesday, works fine with the Galaxy (and the GenieGO OSX app), so I used AirDroid to copy the APK to the TF700T and of course it works fine there too.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that the app doesn't understand screen rotation; on a tablet with an attached keyboard, the app displays in portrait mode, which is silly; once you start a show playing then the playback is oriented properly, so it's not all that bad, but this is pretty basic stuff for Android apps to support.

#40 OFFLINE   VABlitz

VABlitz

• Registered
  • 109 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:13 AM

So, how are the 5 devices connected to this?  If I have three laptops registered to the Go, do I need to connect the Go directly to the laptop everytime I want to download a new program.  Or can I be in a hotel and download the new show to my laptop, with the Go still at home?  I really could use a device like this, and never knew it existed.  Currently using a Vulkano to basicly do the same thing.  Will this work with HR21, HR 22 connected via DECA's or do I need a 34 or 44?

Edit:  Also, are the downloaded program in HD or are they converted into SD?

Edited by VABlitz, 17 June 2013 - 08:25 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DIRECTV, GenieGO, Nomad, Android, iPad

Protected By... spam firewall...And...