Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

GenieGO for Android now available! Issues/Discussion

DIRECTV GenieGO Nomad Android iPad

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,661 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:45 PM

So, how are the 5 devices connected to this?  If I have three laptops registered to the Go, do I need to connect the Go directly to the laptop everytime I want to download a new program.  Or can I be in a hotel and download the new show to my laptop, with the Go still at home?  I really could use a device like this, and never knew it existed.  Currently using a Vulkano to basicly do the same thing.  Will this work with HR21, HR 22 connected via DECA's or do I need a 34 or 44?

Edit:  Also, are the downloaded program in HD or are they converted into SD?

You can't copy a transcoded show to a client while away from home, at least with the current hardware and software.

The GenieGo device holds the transcoded shows in its memory, so you only have to convert a show once for multiple devices, but each playback device you want to copy it to must be on the home network.

Video quality is equal to a standard DVD, IMHO. About 720x480.

/steve

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   VABlitz

VABlitz

• Registered
  • 109 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:36 PM

You can't copy a transcoded show to a client while away from home, at least with the current hardware and software.

The GenieGo device holds the transcoded shows in its memory, so you only have to convert a show once for multiple devices, but each playback device you want to copy it to must be on the home network.

Video quality is equal to a standard DVD, IMHO. About 720x480.

But you can bring the Go with you and download shows to it while away from home, correct?  I thought I read that somewhere. 

DVD quality is better than nothing, but I sure wish they would let us copy in full HD.  Not to mention it would be nice if the Go had an HDMI port on it so you could hook it straight up to an HDTV.  

Edited by VABlitz, 17 June 2013 - 07:38 PM.

#43 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,306 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:53 PM

But you can bring the Go with you and download shows to it while away from home, correct? I thought I read that somewhere.
DVD quality is better than nothing, but I sure wish they would let us copy in full HD. Not to mention it would be nice if the Go had an HDMI port on it so you could hook it straight up to an HDTV.

No you can't. The GenieGo needs to be able to "see" your DVRs in order to be able to get the content from them.
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#44 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:46 AM

No you can't. The GenieGo needs to be able to "see" your DVRs in order to be able to get the content from them.

Yeah I don't know why they don't even allow it to work with a VPN connection.  Kind of disappointing.

Gator fan for LIFE!!!!
My current setup can be found here!

#45 OFFLINE   VABlitz

VABlitz

• Registered
  • 109 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:59 AM

Yeah I don't know why they don't even allow it to work with a VPN connection.  Kind of disappointing.

So, you've tried it with a VPN.  Have you tried leaving the Go at home and VPN with a laptop to the Go?  Well, it still is nice when I have a long trip lined up.  For transferring while away from home I will still use my Vulkano setup. 

Edited by VABlitz, 18 June 2013 - 12:06 PM.

#46 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,306 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:11 PM

it was rumored that the GenieGo was going to be able to stream DVR recordings outside the home. hopefully DirecTV works this out sooner then later.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#47 OFFLINE   ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,119 posts
  • LocationCMH

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:35 PM

So, how are the 5 devices connected to this?  If I have three laptops registered to the Go, do I need to connect the Go directly to the laptop everytime I want to download a new program.  Or can I be in a hotel and download the new show to my laptop, with the Go still at home?  I really could use a device like this, and never knew it existed.  Currently using a Vulkano to basicly do the same thing.  Will this work with HR21, HR 22 connected via DECA's or do I need a 34 or 44?

Edit:  Also, are the downloaded program in HD or are they converted into SD?

They are converted to sd, and you can't stream outside of the home, you have to download it to your device first. It will work with an HR20 or later model receiver.

:pinkie:

#48 OFFLINE   kpfleming

kpfleming

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:12 AM

Well, after a week of using GenieGO on Android, I find it to be acceptable, but full of annoyances (no surprise, it's from DirecTV).

• The app does not understand landscape mode; it always displays in portrait mode, both on an Asus TF700T and on a Samsung Galaxy S3. Thankfully, the video playback does understand landscape mode.
  • On a phone, which has a constant Internet connection, starting the app away from home takes *forever*, because it spends a bunch of time trying to contact the GenieGO box.
  • Marking series for auto-download doesn't seem to accomplish much, although it does appear to get the shows 'prepared' on the GenieGO; if the Android app is not running in the foreground on the device, the shows don't download, but when you click 'download' they download fairly quickly.
  • There's no way to see what content is currently living on the GenieGO itself (for download to 2nd/3rd devices), and it's not clear what causes them to get deleted.

#49 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,909 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:05 AM

Well, after a week of using GenieGO on Android, I find it to be acceptable, but full of annoyances (no surprise, it's from DirecTV).

• The app does not understand landscape mode; it always displays in portrait mode, both on an Asus TF700T and on a Samsung Galaxy S3. Thankfully, the video playback does understand landscape mode.
  • On a phone, which has a constant Internet connection, starting the app away from home takes *forever*, because it spends a bunch of time trying to contact the GenieGO box.
  • Marking series for auto-download doesn't seem to accomplish much, although it does appear to get the shows 'prepared' on the GenieGO; if the Android app is not running in the foreground on the device, the shows don't download, but when you click 'download' they download fairly quickly.
  • There's no way to see what content is currently living on the GenieGO itself (for download to 2nd/3rd devices), and it's not clear what causes them to get deleted.

I don't have an Android device, but on the IOS, PC and MAC clients, there's a 'Ready for Download' filter that shows what programs have been prepared.

Programs are deleted when deleted on the DVR or on a FIFO basis when space is needed.  There is no direct GUI into GenieGo.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#50 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,306 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:56 AM

[*]Marking series for auto-download doesn't seem to accomplish much, although it does appear to get the shows 'prepared' on the GenieGO; if the Android app is not running in the foreground on the device, the shows don't download, but when you click 'download' they download fairly quickly.

Not sure how Androids, but on iOS devices background downloading is not permitted by Apple.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#51 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,661 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:34 AM

Not sure how Androids, but on iOS devices background downloading is not permitted by Apple.

The good news is iOS 7 will allow app developers to add background capability. It's due out this fall.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app
/steve

#52 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,306 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:07 AM

The good news is iOS 7 will allow app developers to add background capability. It's due out this fall.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

Multitasking will be a little be weird on iOS7. It has something to do with the system learning how and how often you use an app. I right now use Background Manager on my JB'en iPhone 5. It basically lets me keep alive any app I want regardless where I am on the OS. I set up the Nomad app to download a show I then can use Chrome or pretty much do anything and the show will download in the background, pretty neat!
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#53 OFFLINE   kpfleming

kpfleming

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:50 AM

Yeah, I suspect the Android app is a 'port' of the iOS app, and doesn't yet take advantage of any Android features. It also refers to the device it's installed on as an 'Android' :-)

#54 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,661 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:32 AM

Yeah, I suspect the Android app is a 'port' of the iOS app [...]

Could be, because the iOS app GUI is portrait-only as well, landscape for the player.

/steve

#55 OFFLINE   brako

brako

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:18 PM

Surprised I am not seeing discussion on this yet:

[From the GenieGo Manual]

Out-of-Home Access

You can stream your recorded shows to your mobile device outside your home by setting your

wireless router to port forwarding. This allows your GenieGO app to connect to your router from

outside your home Wi-Fi network. Most popular router models can be automatically setup for port

forwarding using your PC or Mac computer, but some models require you to turn it on manually.

• For automatic setup:

- Open the GenieGO App on your computer. Go to Settings section located in the top right

of your app, select “GenieGO Out-of-Home Access” and follow the on-screen instructions.

- Once complete, you’ll see “Congratulations! Your router is set up for GenieGO Out-of-

Home Access.”

- You’ll need to confirm “Out-of-Home Access” on each device you want to stream shows on

outside the home.

• For manual set up:

- Proceed to directv.com/geniego/routersupport for instructions to manually setup your router

anyone have this working ?

Bill

#56 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,661 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:15 PM

[...] anyone have this working ?

Unfortunately, the manual's ahead of the software. OOH streaming is not available for Macs or Android devices at this time. Only PCs and iOS devices. Hopefully soon!

/steve

#57 OFFLINE   brako

brako

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:55 PM

Unfortunately, the manual's ahead of the software. OOH streaming is not available for Macs or Android devices at this time. Only PCs and iOS devices. Hopefully soon!

Thanks Steve.  I am trying to connect OOH from a PC.  Have the ports forwarded and I'm comfortable with router configs.  My question is, how does the client on my OOH pc know how to get back to my home router?  I seem to be missing how / where that happens.

Bill

#58 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,661 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:07 PM

Thanks Steve. I am trying to connect OOH from a PC. Have the ports forwarded and I'm comfortable with router configs. My question is, how does the client on my OOH pc know how to get back to my home router? I seem to be missing how / where that happens.

Bill

Gotcha. You had me there for a second, because the of fhread we're in. :P

There's a GenieGo authentication server the clients check in with to get the home IP. The home GenieGo device updates it.
/steve

#59 OFFLINE   VABlitz

VABlitz

• Registered
  • 109 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:42 PM

[From the GenieGo Manual]

Out-of-Home Access

You can stream your recorded shows to your mobile device outside your home by setting your

wireless router to port forwarding. This allows your GenieGO app to connect to your router from

outside your home Wi-Fi network. Most popular router models can be automatically setup for port

forwarding using your PC or Mac computer, but some models require you to turn it on manually.

• For automatic setup:

- Open the GenieGO App on your computer. Go to Settings section located in the top right

of your app, select “GenieGO Out-of-Home Access” and follow the on-screen instructions.

- Once complete, you’ll see “Congratulations! Your router is set up for GenieGO Out-of-

Home Access.”

- You’ll need to confirm “Out-of-Home Access” on each device you want to stream shows on

outside the home.

• For manual set up:

- Proceed to directv.com/geniego/routersupport for instructions to manually setup your router

anyone have this working ?

Bill

I thought I read this was possible somewhere.  Everyone else is saying you can not download shows away from home (perhaps they mean through an android device).  The manual clearly states it is possible with a PC (which is what I would use).  I guess you need the genie go with you to stream shows from your receivers.  Port forwarding is not that hard to do.  I was thinking I would have to setup a VPN to get this working, but it looks like it is a feature of the genie go. 

#60 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,661 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:50 PM

I thought I read this was possible somewhere.  Everyone else is saying you can not download shows away from home [...]

While away from home, you can schedule a new transcode, so it's available for copying once you're back on your home network. You can currently only stream shows to Windows laptops and iOS devices while OOH, however; you can't remotely copy a transcoded file for local playback.

/steve

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DIRECTV, GenieGO, Nomad, Android, iPad

Protected By... spam firewall...And...