Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

GenieGO for Android now available! Issues/Discussion

DIRECTV GenieGO Nomad Android iPad

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   VABlitz

VABlitz

• Registered
  • 109 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:06 PM

While away from home, you can schedule a new transcode, so it's available for copying once you're back on your home network. You can currently only stream shows to Windows laptops and iOS devices while OOH, however; you can't remotely copy a transcoded file for local playback.

Ah, that's the confusion by my part.  So, do you have to connect the client on your PC at home, or can I just hook up the external hard drive I would carry around with me to the Genie Go. 

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#62 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,664 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:40 PM

Ah, that's the confusion by my part.  So, do you have to connect the client on your PC at home, or can I just hook up the external hard drive I would carry around with me to the Genie Go. 

AFAIK, you can only transfer files from GenieGo device storage via a LAN network connection to your client, whether it's PC, MAC, iOS or Android. You can hook an external USB drive up to the GenieGo device to expand its storage capacity, but only the device will recognize those files, not the clients.

/steve

#63 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,366 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:40 PM

The GenieGo needs to be at home to "see" your HDDVR which is a requirement for the GenieGo to operate.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#64 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,954 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:39 PM

To be clear:

To make DVR recordings available for download to your portable device (Windows PC, Mac, iOS device or Android device) the GenieGo must be attached to your home LAN, and the DVRs must be attached to the same LAN (either directly, or through a Cinema Connection Kit).  If the GenieGo is removed from the LAN (and therfore can no longer see the DVRs) it will not display any of the prepared content.

Within the local LAN, you can flag shows to be "prepared" (transcoded), download shows already prepared, or stream programs that have or have not already been prepared.  When streaming, the GeniGo stops all transcoding.

Out of home access allows you stream programs that have already been prepared, or stream directly through the GenieGo, with the transcoding occuring in realtime.  You can not download prepared shows to your device, or request additional shows be transcoded, when OOH.  Just like local streaming, OOH streaming will stop all transcoding activity on the GenieGo.

OOH access is currently available on Windows and iOS devices, Mac and Android support is still coming.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#65 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,366 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:57 PM

To be clear:

Out of home access allows you stream programs that have already been prepared, or stream directly through the GenieGo, with the transcoding occuring in realtime.  You can not download prepared shows to your device, or request additional shows be transcodedwhen OOH.  Just like local streaming, OOH streaming will stop all transcoding activity on the GenieGo.

OOH access is currently available on Windows and iOS devices, Mac and Android support is still coming.

With OOH on supported devices, you can indeed "request" shows to transcode when you are away.  so when you get home, they will be ready for download.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#66 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,954 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:06 AM

With OOH on supported devices, you can indeed "request" shows to transcode when you are away. so when you get home, they will be ready for download.

Hmmm...last time I tried it, it showed as an option, but when I tried to do it, I got an error saying that it couldn't be done remotely.  Perhaps it was a glitch.  :shrug:

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#67 OFFLINE   brako

brako

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:19 AM

I realize this is not the appropriate thread and I have since moved my discussion, but just to close things here - these are my results ... 

I struggled for a couple of days trying to get GenieGo working with out of home (ooh) access.  I had no problem with port forwarding, the clients on my local network worked fine and reported that my configuration was good for OOH, yet I could not access the device from my remote network using my Windows desktop PC at the remote location.  The GenieGo client would prompt me to log in (email address and password) and then report that it could not find the GenieGo device.  Next, I was give the option to search for the GenieGo device by serial number but still no success.

Next, I tried installing the GenieGo client on a Windows laptop while at the remote location and experienced the same results.  Could not find the GenieGo device. 

Finally, I took the laptop into my home network, it connected and worked fine.  Returned to my remote network and it connected and worked fine.

In my trials, it appears that the GenieGo client must first establish a connection to the GenieGo device over your home LAN before the client will successfully connect Out Of Home (ooh).

(While I was working on these tests, the same information was confirmed in posts above.)

Is anyone aware of a "work around" that would allow you to remotely install and connect a desktop PC?  It's a bit inconvenient to carry a desktop pc from a remote location to your home to do the initial installation and connection of the client to the GenieGo device so that you can carry it back and use the OOH features of the product.

Enjoying the product!

Bill

#68 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,664 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:50 AM

Hmmm...last time I tried it, it showed as an option, but when I tried to do it, I got an error saying that it couldn't be done remotely.  Perhaps it was a glitch.  :shrug:

Probably was a glitch. You're supposed to be able to request new transcodes while OOH, even though you can't download them.

I suppose this capability might come in handy for frequent travelers that are only making a "pit stop" at home before they're off to the next town. IMHO, it would be much nicer if you could not only schedule an OOH transcode, but an OOH "copy" as well, so you could potentially add new shows to your client overnight while asleep away from home.

/steve

#69 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,366 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:59 PM

Yeap, it was I glitch.  I have used this feature a couple of times with no issues.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#70 OFFLINE   Bobsacto

Bobsacto

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:26 PM

Remind me in the future to check here first with DirecTV questions. Spent a bunch of time trying to get OOS to work on my Android devices. Case management was nice and the third person I talked to on the third day finally found out that OOS doesn't work on Android. If I had only looked here I would have saved a bunch of time and many trips to a hotspot to try and troubleshoot an issue for which there wasn't an answer.

#71 OFFLINE   dod1450

dod1450

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:58 AM

Remind me in the future to check here first with DirecTV questions. Spent a bunch of time trying to get OOS to work on my Android devices. Case management was nice and the third person I talked to on the third day finally found out that OOS doesn't work on Android. If I had only looked here I would have saved a bunch of time and many trips to a hotspot to try and troubleshoot an issue for which there wasn't an answer.

I did the samething and I also which I had check here. Does anyone know if this feature for OOS will be added for Android?

HDR-24
HDR-34
AM-21N
ATT uverse internet

Genie Go

PGP: AD5A 96DC 7556 A020 B8E7 0E4D 5D5E 9BA5 C83E 8C92

#72 OFFLINE   dlleno

dlleno

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:53 PM

If I may chime in with a different issue. Anyone find the android app crashes? Mine launches fine, sees all dvrs, but crashes as soon as I select something to watch. Galaxy s3.

#73 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• Registered
  • 315 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:02 AM

Same here..I dont know if it was my tablets update to 4.2 last month or the Sept 16th build, but they dont like each other.

Kind of like whats happening in Washington.. :rolleyes:

Sent from my GT-P3113 using DBSTalk mobile app

#74 OFFLINE   dlleno

dlleno

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:22 AM

Ugh. Well at least you didn't suggest I hard reset the phone to factory conditions! The comments in the store are pretty bad even it you throw out the comments by those savy enough to root their devices but not smart enough to know how to hide that fact from the app. Its just a horrible app I guess...without a serious development investment to make it robust and ready for prime time.

#75 OFFLINE   Skoach

Skoach

• Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationPickerington, OH

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:22 PM

No issues at all on my GS3

#76 OFFLINE   dlleno

dlleno

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:30 PM

What's your hardware version. I'm at 1535.10

#77 OFFLINE   dlleno

dlleno

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:37 PM

Well I bit the bullet and reset my phone.   Geniego now works.   Lesson learned we gotta take responsibility for our own equipment before we blame dtv!   Geniego is a fairly complex solution with many variables that are our of dtv control.   I've had a rough time getting mine going but all issues have been mine. 

#78 OFFLINE   runandhide05

runandhide05

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:31 PM

Out of home is now part of the android app,
Updated this morning...
Enjoy and good luck

Sent from my SCH-I605 using DBSTalk mobile app

#79 OFFLINE   kpfleming

kpfleming

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:00 PM

Couldn't directly update my Asus Transformer Infinity, app is still not available in the Play Store. Just as before, I used AirDroid to pull the APK from my Samsung phone then copied it over to the tablet. Started the app, it took a few minutes to find and verify my GenieGo, but then came up just fine. Seems to have lost *some* of my 'auto-download series' choices, but I can reset those fairly easily.

#80 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,366 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:29 PM

Out of home is now part of the android app,
Updated this morning...
Enjoy and good luck

Sent from my SCH-I605 using DBSTalk mobile app

being discussed here

http://www.dbstalk.c...te-for-andriod/

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DIRECTV, GenieGO, Nomad, Android, iPad

Protected By... spam firewall...And...