Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

anyone from dirt online ? problems since tech left 2hrs ago

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TxDave

TxDave

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:08 PM

I just had a hopper replaced with a hopper w/sling.  No other changes, just swapped boxes.  All seemed ok when the tech left a couple of hours ago but then we tried to watch on the joey and the picture goes black every 10-15 minutes.  It was working fine before the swap out.  Any ideas or is the new hopper w/sling bad.    By the way when the installer brought in the new box he just dropped it in the floor rather than setting it down. I'm surprised it works at all.    Thanks 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,966 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:17 PM

perhaps he is damaged a drive inside :eek2: ... check all cable and F- fittings between H and each J to solo node

Edited by P Smith, 31 May 2013 - 03:21 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   TxDave

TxDave

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:29 PM

I've rechecked all the connections and all is ok.  I've done the usual restarting of each box.  The signal seems ok.   I'm thinking something was damaged or knocked loose inside when he dropped it.   It was a simple swap out so all the tech did was set the new box under the other and move wires from one to the other,  you wouldn't think much could go wrong other than maybe a bad hopper.

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,966 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:57 PM

most likely

#5 OFFLINE   TxDave

TxDave

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:03 PM

Looks like no dirt people online right now, I hate having to call in.  It always takes forever on the phone.  The dirt people are much easier to deal with.

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,966 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:56 PM

just look at member's list and send one PM to all of them

Edited by P Smith, 31 May 2013 - 04:57 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,785 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:50 PM

Yeah... that's not good if the installer was that sloppy with the equipment.  They are actually packed pretty well... but not intended to be thrown around and drop-kicked.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#8 OFFLINE   TxDave

TxDave

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:52 PM

Finally , after two calls, five different people and more than an hour explaining and doing the same tests over and over.  They have decided that it may be broken.   :nono2:

They are sending someone out Sunday to fix or replace it. 

All the phone folks were nice enough. They just make you jump through hoops.  It is so nice that we have the "dirt" people here most of the time 

#9 OFFLINE   Joe1022

Joe1022

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:31 PM

I switched to Dish this weekend and had 2 Hopper w/Slings installed. On the first day, soon after the installer left, the screen went black on one of the Hoppers - sound, but no picture. A reset brought it back up. Then in the other room, the other Hopper did the same thing - this time it came back on its own before doing a reset.

I was hoping that maybe it was something to do with the initial setup - maybe it was downloading information or something - I'm not sure. I haven't seen it happen again, but it's only been a couple of days with limited use so far. 

Edited by Joe1022, 04 June 2013 - 03:34 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,966 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:48 PM

watch another month and post what you'll get after that time

#11 OFFLINE   Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 301 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:06 AM

I know this can be frustrating and I wanted to check in to see if you have any further questions after the technician visit?

#12 OFFLINE   TxDave

TxDave

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:58 PM

The upgrade that killed my system Finally fixed today.  Yea !!!      After two tech visits failed to resolve the problems, the boss showed up today and pretty much started from scratch. They put up a new single dish, lnbs ,node and some new wiring ,  removed the HIC and switched to all wireless.  They also removed the old power supply and dp44 switch that should have been removed a year ago when I upgraded from the 722ks.

They still aren't positive what the problem was for sure but it may have been crosstalk with the internet since the new hopper w/sling was set up wireless and the old hopper was set up with the HIC. or bad node ?

All I know is that both hoppers and 3 joeys are now working again, and I have better signal strength than I've had in a long time.

#13 OFFLINE   bmetelsky

bmetelsky

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:41 PM

Great news TxDave!

#14 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,966 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:45 PM

Good.

And we got finally all details of your old inherited setup what you omitted from our attention ;) ...

• RasputinAXP likes this

#15 OFFLINE   TxDave

TxDave

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:41 PM

Sorry bout that. I didn't know my old setup was not normal or I would have mentioned it.   I'm an old disabled fart and I've had dish since way before dvrs were around and I have always let them do the upgrades over the years.  I didn't even realize they should have changed most of my equipment out when I upgraded from the 722ks to the hoppers and joeys a year ago.  I always just trusted them to do what was required.   I knew my old two dish setup was out of date but I didn't know the dp44 switch and power supply should have been removed.   I'm just glad they got it all fixed.   

#16 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• Registered
  • 315 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:11 PM

Sorry bout that. I didn't know my old setup was not normal or I would have mentioned it. I'm an old disabled fart and I've had dish since way before dvrs were around and I have always let them do the upgrades over the years. I didn't even realize they should have changed most of my equipment out when I upgraded from the 722ks to the hoppers and joeys a year ago. I always just trusted them to do what was required. I knew my old two dish setup was out of date but I didn't know the dp44 switch and power supply should have been removed. I'm just glad they got it all fixed.

You would think the installers would know what they are doing.. (It is their equipment, you only lease it from them )
It should not take multiple visits by installers only to have the supervisor come out to fix the problem.. Then again the first one should not have dropped the first one, and then think nothing of it..

Sent from my GT-P3113 using DBSTalk mobile app

#17 OFFLINE   TxDave

TxDave

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:28 PM

At least the hopper proved to be tough, Its about the only thing that didn't have to be replaced.    They not only hop,  they bounce...

• PK6301 likes this

Protected By... spam firewall...And...