Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Question about the hopper

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kitex2

kitex2

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:56 PM

Hello, i currently have a dish subscription at my home and was thinking about upgrading to the hopper. I currently have 3 recievers in my home and was wondering about how the streaming to laptops works and how it effects the recievers at home.

I am often away on business and sometimes take my son with me so i was wondering what are the limitations on using Dish anywhere. Will i be able to stream all channels i am currently subscribed to and is there a usage limit? Also does this disable the home reciever in any way?

Any answer would be most appreciated!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:05 PM

When I use my Android phone to view a live channel on my HopperWS, the TV connected to the HopperWS gets a screen notice that remote viewing is being done, so it Looks like any viewing at home would have to be on a Joey while you are remote viewing on the HopperWS and it must be on a different tuner, i.e. if you remote view an OTA channel, the OTA tuner is not available at home.

The major bottleneck for offsite streaming is your home upload speed.

For HD upload you need at least 1 MB upload connection and 1.5 MB is better, if you ahve 0.5MB upload you are limited to SD viewing.

Inside my home network I get 1400/1500kbps data rates with remote viewing but from outside my 500kb upload speed usually gets me around 350kb (0.35MB).

Edited by Jim5506, 01 June 2013 - 08:09 PM.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#3 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 720 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:26 PM

That's interesting that your OTA channels aren't available with the Hopper.  I have a 722K and I can get my OTA channels via the Dish iPhone app.  I wonder why they decided to not allow you to get to OTA channels on the Hopper from the Dish app.

Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#4 OFFLINE   kitex2

kitex2

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:24 AM

ok, internet speed shouldnt be an issue for  me but the reciever thing was one of my main concerns. So if i do decide to do this it would be better to have a joey in the master bed room as to not disrupt my wifes television viewing and keep the hopper in the guest room. (my wife doesnt/wont use the dvr too much regardless)

My last questions would be is there any hard or soft limits on how much you can stream? and does anyone know roughly how much data is used in say a 30min to hour view  (hd or sd)

(PS. ill probably be using my laptop to stream most of it so if anyone could give me an idea of stream quality it'd be most apperciated)

#5 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 592 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:56 AM

After reading the above, I did a quick check.  I have an original Hopper with a Sling Adapter and an OTA adapter.  I have a single television, no Joeys.

I got no message on the screen that remote viewing was taking place.  The Hopper viewing was uninterrupted.

I was able to stream local OTA, but the channels were off.  When I tuned to 03-1, I got 03-3 instead.

When I pressed the Red button, it shows what each tuner was tuned to, and one of them had the Sling icon.  I suspect the message Jim got about remote viewing in use was because his Hopper was already recording 2 channels, and thus the Sling took priority over the local connection for the only available tuner.

Picture quality is pretty good on a small screen.  It's hard for me to compare a 7" tablet to my 50" plasma, though.  I would guess that a picture quality snob would not be happy with the streaming picture.

With local streaming, I was getting an HQ stream of 1300Kbps.  There was no difference in streaming data usage in Standard Quality.  Divide that by 10 for approximate KB/s and you get 130KB/second.  Rough math says about 8MB/minute.  I know of no Dish-imposed limits on Sling viewing, either in time or programs.  My efforts to stream over 3G have been very choppy at best, and HQ was not possible.

#6 OFFLINE   Wildman63

Wildman63

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:18 AM

If possible, place the Hopper near your wireless router and connect the two by cable.

You should be able to view Dish programming including DVR on the road. Picture quality will depend on upload speed of your home network and the device you're viewing... eg. my iPad is an old one so is limited to that device's screen. It looks pretty good to these old eyes.

#7 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:59 PM

You misundestand, I can stream the OTA channels, it's just that there is only one OTA tuner and if I'm streaming with the OTA tuner, the Hopper is blocked from OTA , but I suspect Joeys may be able to join the channel I'm streaming, but only that channel without taking over and changing the channel for both of us.

Edited by Jim5506, 02 June 2013 - 01:02 PM.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma

#8 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:02 PM

I was at a church pot luck shortly after 12pm CDT today and when I loaded Dish ANywhere on my Android, the HD picture was remarkably good considering my upload is only 500kb, much better picture than I get on a PC, of course it is much smaller, too.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...