Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

TiVo Series 2 DT Digital Video Recorder Hookup

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   WTNewton

WTNewton

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts
  • LocationOcotillo Wells, Ca

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:51 PM

I have a TiVo Series 2 DT Digital Video Recorder.  TiVo Model # is TCD649090. Got it from one of my kids who discontinued their DirecTv service.

On my Current D* system I have:

1 HR20-700 DVR  (Working great)

4 D12-100 (all working great)

Whole Home Service (though no second HD receiver yet -- still looking).

HD Service

SWM LNB - 3 head

So ... can anyone tell me what the TiVo listed above will do for me if I get it reactivated?  How would I hook it up? Is this TiVo unit HD or SD? and anything else I should know? (maybe a pointer to somewhere on the net where I can get such questions answered?)

Thanks in Advance!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 851 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:59 PM

You can use it as a single-tuner, standard-def DVR. It is only an SD DVR. Connect one of the D12's composite and audio outputs to the corresponding input on the TiVo. You would then run Guided Setup on the TiVo and tell it that you had satellite with a Hughes or DirecTV receiver. You'll have to buy a service subscription from TiVo.

The best sources for information on TiVo standalone DVRs are:

- http://tivo.com

- http://tivocommunity.com

- http://forums.tivo.com/

Steve

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   WTNewton

WTNewton

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:01 PM

Thank you for the info....

I will check out the TiVo sites you recommended!

This might just give me some versatility in one of my bedrooms.

#4 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 851 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:15 PM

Rather expensive and limited versatility in my opinion, as the monthly TiVo service fee is quite high (unless a "lifetime" service plan had been purchased, in which case the equation changes a lot.)

Steve

My Setup

#5 OFFLINE   WTNewton

WTNewton

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:38 AM

You are correct. I checked out the sites and a,month to month with a one year minimum is 15$ each month and the lifetime was around 400$. So I have opted not to activate this box. I just purchased another HR20-700 on Ebay that is owned and D* says they will activate it. It was 49$ plus shipping so I will just add it to the other one I have activated that I got on craigslist for 50$. I also just got 2 H21's (one -100 and one a -200) for 74$ total. D* says they will activate them. So I will set them up as whole home/ MRV and that will work for me. Thank you for the TiVO sites!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...