Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Will DirecTV allow using an HD DVR with a SD plan?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   adabob

adabob

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:27 AM

​I need a DirecTV DVR which has either HDMI or component outputs, however DirectV shipped me a SD DVR with none of these connections. I don't want to pay and extra $10 a month for HD just want the connections for our new LCD TV. Will Direct TV allow me to connect and use say a HR21 or HR24? Without the extra fees and will it work? Thank you :bang 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,483 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:25 AM

Your TV should have a set of Red, White and Yellow connections.
That does all the resolution ( 480i ) that the SD service you have will do.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   r028806

r028806

Mentor

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:46 AM

At activation you are required to add the HD service.

Slimline 5 / SWM 16
Whole Home Enabled
Cinema Connection Kit (Coax)
HR24-500 :hurah:
HR23-700 :grin:
HR22-100 :lol:

HR23-700 :sure:
H25-500 :rolling:

#4 OFFLINE   Johnnie5000

Johnnie5000

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:13 AM

If you are in an MPEG4 market, yes, as that is all they use. Considering they shipped you an SD model, you're obviously not in one. 

#5 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,249 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:09 AM

​I don't want to pay and extra $10 a month for HD just want the connections for our new LCD TV. 

Since you just bought your TV, I should point out a lot of the newer TVs will have a single component/composite jack (which can be used for either). If this is the case the composite cable for video (yellow) is plugged into one of the component jacks either red, blue or green. You should check your manual for your set to see which one they use and for the audio the red and white cables go in the same jacks as they would for component cables audio. You will have to switch the setting to Composite from Component which can usually be done when changing inputs (normally it's a simple toggle that will display options such as AV>Comp., Video>Comp. or something similar).

#6 OFFLINE   adabob

adabob

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:18 AM

thank you for the replies, I guess a better solution and question would be which DVR has component outputs which does not require HD? Is there a model number of what which still works for directv? Thank you 

#7 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,483 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:53 AM

thank you for the replies, I guess a better solution and question would be which DVR has component outputs which does not require HD? Is there a model number of what which still works for directv? Thank you 

Coolman is correct.

Some TVs have a combo connection that is either the component or composite connection depending on which cables you plug in and where.

You do not need Component connections with an SD service.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#8 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,483 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:55 AM

None.

Do yourself a favor and call them. They might switch you over to HD for nothing or close to it and your eyes will thank you for it. They will probably waive the HD fee for the first year also.

Doesn't cost to call them.

#9 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 806 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:45 PM

None.

Do yourself a favor and call them. They might switch you over to HD for nothing or close to it and your eyes will thank you for it. They will probably waive the HD fee for the first year also.
Doesn't cost to call them.

Well technically an R22 but good luck finding one! They are getting more and more scarce.
DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#10 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:48 PM

Well technically an R22 but good luck finding one! They are getting more and more scarce.

That's right.  An R22 (like I have) is really an HR21.  When it was first introduced the software disabled all the HD features but DirecTV gave up on that plan and now it is virtually identical.  Mine supplies my HDTV with a 480p resolution via HDMI.  If I ever do (highly unlikely) add HD to my DirecTV account, my R22 will function as a true HD DVR.  Speaking of that, the REVERSE is also true!  In other words, if I call DIrecTV and tell them to add HD to my account because I already have an HD-capable DVR, they won't because they DON'T CONSIDER AN R22 TO BE AN HD DVR!!  Imagine that!  I would have to get a "real" HD receiver and get stuck with a 2 year commitment.  That's why I still have SD.

If I spend the $50 for an AM-21 tuner I can record programs over the air in HD.  If I had an always-on broadband internet connection, I could also download HD material.  (I use a wireless aircard for my internet)

Unfortunately, like the quote above states "good luck finding one".  I hope mine keeps on working and I've even purchased an exact-replacement spare HDD for it in the event it fails.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#11 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,355 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:41 PM

That's right.  An R22 (like I have) is really an HR21.  When it was first introduced the software disabled all the HD features but DirecTV gave up on that plan and now it is virtually identical.  Mine supplies my HDTV with a 480p resolution via HDMI.  If I ever do (highly unlikely) add HD to my DirecTV account, my R22 will function as a true HD DVR.  Speaking of that, the REVERSE is also true!  In other words, if I call DIrecTV and tell them to add HD to my account because I already have an HD-capable DVR, they won't because they DON'T CONSIDER AN R22 TO BE AN HD DVR!!  Imagine that!  I would have to get a "real" HD receiver and get stuck with a 2 year commitment.  That's why I still have SD.

If I spend the $50 for an AM-21 tuner I can record programs over the air in HD.  If I had an always-on broadband internet connection, I could also download HD material.  (I use a wireless aircard for my internet)

Unfortunately, like the quote above states "good luck finding one".  I hope mine keeps on working and I've even purchased an exact-replacement spare HDD for it in the event it fails.

Not sure if it was owned but I saw one on eBay yesterday.  I have an owned R22 as well.

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#12 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:30 PM

Not sure if it was owned but I saw one on eBay yesterday.  I have an owned R22 as well.

Mine is also owned (a rarity).  If I tell you how I got it the moderators will kill me.   :blackeye:

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#13 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:46 PM

That's right.  An R22 (like I have) is really an HR21.  When it was first introduced the software disabled all the HD features but DirecTV gave up on that plan and now it is virtually identical.  Mine supplies my HDTV with a 480p resolution via HDMI.  If I ever do (highly unlikely) add HD to my DirecTV account, my R22 will function as a true HD DVR.  Speaking of that, the REVERSE is also true!  In other words, if I call DIrecTV and tell them to add HD to my account because I already have an HD-capable DVR, they won't because they DON'T CONSIDER AN R22 TO BE AN HD DVR!!  Imagine that!  I would have to get a "real" HD receiver and get stuck with a 2 year commitment.  That's why I still have SD. If I spend the $50 for an AM-21 tuner I can record programs over the air in HD.  If I had an always-on broadband internet connection, I could also download HD material.  (I use a wireless aircard for my internet) Unfortunately, like the quote above states "good luck finding one".  I hope mine keeps on working and I've even purchased an exact-replacement spare HDD for it in the event it fails.
Doesn't solid signal or eBay have them? I have 2. I got one from a online site. My R22-200 and a now R22-100 that got from Best Buy. They are great. My mother still has a 27" Sony Trinitron SD TV. I use Component connections for hers with the R22-100. She wanted SD features without the HD receiver costs. Component even in SD looks better than composite. Besides HD looks crisp too in SD via component. Much better since each primary color is split out.

Edited by xmguy, 04 June 2013 - 07:47 PM.

DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

#14 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 806 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:03 PM

Doesn't solid signal or eBay have them? I have 2. I got one from a online site. My R22-200 and a now R22-100 that got from Best Buy. They are great. My mother still has a 27" Sony Trinitron SD TV. I use Component connections for hers with the R22-100. She wanted SD features without the HD receiver costs. Component even in SD looks better than composite. Besides HD looks crisp too in SD via component. Much better since each primary color is split out.

SolidSignal hasn't had them for quite some time (I bought one there about a year ago, but now they just list it as discontinued) and eBay has a couple of questionable lineage and one that may be owned for $185 at this time.

DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#15 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,248 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:04 PM

All of that just to stay in the 20th C.??  :hurah:  :nono2:  :blackeye:  :hurah:

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#16 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:40 AM

I dont  believe there are any current SD models that will do what you want, and any of the old models that might have them will soon be unable to get correct guide data.  HD is worlds better than SD, you are doing yourself a terrible disfavor by owning an HD tv and not having HD service to watch on it.  That said, there may very well be a composite input on the tv that you havent discovered yet.

Edited by CCarncross, 05 June 2013 - 06:41 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...