Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DBSTalk Contest Poll: We want to know if going to the cinema has changed.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
175 replies to this topic

Poll: Going to the cinema vs using your home AV gear... (671 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you watch movies in the cinema before you watch that same movie at home? How often?

1. I never go to the movie theater. (201 votes [29.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 29.96%

2. 1% to 20% of the movies I watch at home, I've seen in the movie theater. (347 votes [51.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 51.71%

3. 21%-40% of the movies I watch at home, I've seen in the movie theater. (62 votes [9.24%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.24%

4. 41%-60% of the movies I watch at home, I've seen in the movie theater. (27 votes [4.02%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.02%

5. 61%-80% of the movies I watch at home, I've seen in the movie theater. (20 votes [2.98%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.98%

6. Nearly all of the movies I watch at home, I've seen in the movie theater. (13 votes [1.94%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.94%

7. Every movie I watch at home, I've seen in the movie theater. (1 votes [0.15%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 0.15%

As an AVR/home theater consumer, does watching movies at home affect how often you go to the movie theater?

1. I go to the movie theater less often than before owning home theater equipment. (450 votes [67.06%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 67.06%

2. I go to the movie theater just as often since owning home theater equipment. (212 votes [31.59%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 31.59%

3. I go to the movie theater more often since owning home theater equipment. (9 votes [1.34%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.34%

Vote

#1 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Administrators
  • 2,163 posts
  • LocationTraveling the USA

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:08 AM

You could win a $250 Amazon Gift Card if you repsond to the poll.

Ok, we thought it would be fun to ask some interesting questions that might be of interest.   So we are running a poll. 

And yes, I said something about a $250 gift card. You could win a $250 Amazon Gift Card if you repsond to the poll as the winner will be selected by random drawing out of all poll entries. (Of course you must be a member of DBSTalk in order to take part.  But it is free to register.)

Oh heck, lets make give you two chances to win, and ask two questions.  For each poll question you respond to, you will be entered.  In other words, we will select two random winners one from each question above, each winning a $250 Amazon Gift Card.

So, post in the poll and add to the chat in this thread for some fun.  Let us know your thoughts!

Poll/contest will run until 6/15/2013 and then thread will auto close.  We will then select a winner and then reopen the thread so the chat can continue after the winners are announced.  (But the contest ends at the end of the day 6/15/2013 so you must be entered by then.)

(By entering this poll you give us the right to post you as the winner within this thread.  You MUST be able to be contacted via PM or email and will have 48 hours to respond before a different winner may be chosen.  This is just a real simple kind of a fun thing.)

• marty45714 and sgluck like this

David Bott

Admin - Owner

Founder - AVSForum.comTiVoCommunity.com, Home Theater Cruise, LLC, DBNet Consulting, LLC, 

Board of Advisers - Prelaunch.com

Connecting to Over 5 Million Unique Enthusiasts a Month

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 2,163 posts
  • LocationTraveling the USA

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:14 AM

Me?

Well, we hardy go anymore unless it is a major blockbuster like Star Trek or something.  Something that is very fun to watch with others of the same like interest.  It just added to the experience of movies like that.  Most of the time, we will just wait for it to come out and then rent and/or buy.

• LanMan likes this

David Bott

Admin - Owner

Founder - AVSForum.comTiVoCommunity.com, Home Theater Cruise, LLC, DBNet Consulting, LLC, 

Board of Advisers - Prelaunch.com

Connecting to Over 5 Million Unique Enthusiasts a Month

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged.

#3 OFFLINE   linflas

linflas

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts
  • LocationManassas, VA

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:20 AM

Having grown up in the era of real movie theaters, some with CinemaScope screens, going to see movies in what passes for movie theaters today just doesn't seem worth the bother.

#4 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,898 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:21 AM

The last movie my wife and I went to see in a movie theater was "The Bucket List". Patronizing a movie theater isn't the pleasurable experience it once was thanks to cell phones, rude, talkative people, people bringing infants and toddlers with them, ect. It's far more enjoyable using our Home Theater.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#5 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,064 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:24 AM

I very rarely go to the movie theater anymore.  It's mostly because I have my own theater type setup but also has a lot to do with crying babies, people talking, people on their phones and the high price of snacks.

• Chihuahua and chick3112215 like this
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#6 OFFLINE   rlbisso

rlbisso

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:34 AM

Cost too much

• chick3112215 likes this

#7 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,455 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:44 AM

Lately the only ones we have been viewing in the theater are 3D films; 3D seems to be a much more enjoyable experience at the theater. For example, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey 3D in high frame rate (48 fps) was only visible in this format at the theater.

#8 OFFLINE   rlbisso

rlbisso

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:47 AM

too pricy

#9 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:48 AM

Can't remember the last time I went to a theater. I now have a projector and screen in a dedicated room so there is no need. My wife still goes once a month or so with her grown niece.

#10 OFFLINE   hdtvman

hdtvman

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:48 AM

Don't like seeing action movies any more at theater because they have sound way too loud. You can surround effects without causing people to go deaf

#11 OFFLINE   drded

drded

Godfather

• Registered
  • 373 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:51 AM

Cost of popcorn/soda too high. Too many bad manners (i.e. talking, using phones) on display. Projector operators must be deaf.

5LNB Slimline
HR34-700 & HR24-200
HDMI > HDMI Switch > Toshiba DLP
NetGear Ethernet Switcher

#12 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,698 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:52 AM

I haven't been inside a theater in well over 20 years, maybe closer to 30.  Has nothing to do with watching (or not) at home though.

Maybe it does though thinking about it.  Back in the days when VCRs were first becoming popular, it was better to go to the rental store, pick out a few tapes and go home and watch.  You could eat what you wanted, watch WHEN you wanted and as many times as you wanted, be dressed or not, watch laying in the middle of the floor instead of an uncomfortable seat, etc.  These things are commomnplace now, but back then, it was a real change of pace.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#13 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:00 AM

The last film I saw was an IMAX 3D title at the zoo last summer.  Not sure if the machinery was misadjusted, but the contrast ratio was around 20.  The 3D was amazing, but the system just could not generate anything close to black. Very disappointing.

I remember seeing Star Wars many years ago, and it was absolutely magical when the surrounds kicked in, that was my first experience with that and I'll always remember it.

#14 OFFLINE   lordraziel

lordraziel

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:17 AM

The last movie I seen in a real theater was Alien Resurrection. I did go to a drive in a while back for a double feature of Ice Age 3 (I think it was 3) and Land of the Lost.

#15 OFFLINE   GeeWhiz1

GeeWhiz1

Legend

• Registered
  • 121 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:18 AM

While there are movies that my wife and I would love to see in the theater, we find it more enjoyable to watch them at home.  Yes, we miss the BIG screen experience.  But we don't miss all the cell phones and "chatty Cathies".

Greg ... in the heart of the whine country

#16 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,281 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:23 AM

It has been decades for me too so obviously it was before home theater.  The advent of VHS might have started it but now there is no way I even want to try.  Price, tiny "theaters", obnoxious viewers have all ruined it for me. Gov's comment made me think, while it is not the last movie i went to see Star Wars is the last movie I remember from the theater

My Setup

#17 OFFLINE   Blurayfan

Blurayfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,750 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:24 AM

I finally went to a movie for the first time in ten years yesterday.

Slimlin-5 with SWM16
HR44-700 with AM21 OTA tuner and eSATA 4.0 TB
HR24-500 with AM21 OTA tuner and eSATA 2.0 TB
HR21-700 with DECA adapter for network
Network: Netgear R7000
Internet: Comcast 105/20

#18 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:25 AM

Most fun I ever had at a movie was at a  Drive Inn showing Saturday Night Fever in 1979.  Don't think the movie had much to do with the fun quotient, however.

:eek2:

Flash Gordon would be another real fun experience, and again, the film did not have much to do with it.

#19 OFFLINE   JWKessler

JWKessler

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:25 AM

I hadn't gone to a theater in years after building a home theater. Then we got an IMAX theater about 50 miles from home. Since then we have been going a couple of times a year.

As an old dude, I have a hard time sitting through an entire film without a trip to the bathroom. At home I have a pause button. I doubt a real theater will be able to match that bit of technology.

#20 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:30 AM

We go a few times a year to see the blockbusters. Enjoyable night out.

DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...