Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New Roof

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   owensdj

owensdj

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:43 AM

I'm going to have the roof replaced in the next two weeks or so.  What's the best way to handle this?  Do I allow the roofing guys to remove the dish and then call a Dish installer to put it back up after the roof is finished?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:20 AM

Try to get your installers to keep the cabling intact and put the dish back up aimed approximately right. Then just have Dish re-aim it. They did that for me N/C (I have the protection plan).

#3 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 330 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:50 AM

You can have the roofer remove the dish but have a professional reinstall it.

#4 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:41 AM

P'shah, Larry, his brother Darrel, and his other brother Darrel always do a bang up job putting dishes back!

!rolling

#5 OFFLINE   owensdj

owensdj

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:58 AM

If the roofers put the dish back up doesn't that mean they'll be keeping the mount?

#6 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 719 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:00 PM

It is cheaper to add the Protection Plan, schedule the service call for after the roofers are finished and remember to cancel the Protection Plan 120 days later (if you cancel it within the first 120 days, then you are charged a $25 fee).

You can add the plan and schedule the service call on the same call.

Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#7 OFFLINE   owensdj

owensdj

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:42 PM

jsk, I have the Protection Plan now.

#8 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:43 PM

If you have the protection plan, have the roofer's remove the Dish and have the Dish Installer replace and re-aim it when they are done.  

Norm

#9 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 719 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:30 PM

I only add the Protection Plan when I need a service call.  It is much cheaper that way.  I would drop it after you have the service.

Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#10 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:38 AM

P'shah, Larry, his brother Darrel, and his other brother Darrel always do a bang up job putting dishes back!

!rolling

Ha! Ha! My roofers did an excellent job. I trust them a lot more to properly seal the installation. They actually had a signal that only needed tweaking by Dish.

• oldengineer likes this

#11 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:37 AM

I saw a 5LNB D* put back on a roof  by the roofing crew and they had around 60% signal, I also saw another job were they had turned the dish 180 degrees around.

#12 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 330 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:46 AM

I have seen roofers cut the new shingles around the dish mount to leave the dish in place. I have seen dishes remounted with TAR, with roofing nails, with an assortment of screws and bolts. They are roofers not satellite installers.

#13 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:06 PM

If the roofers remount the dish, you will only be charged whatever you normally would for a technician visit ($95, $15, or $0 depending on your standing and whether or not you have the pp).  If it is not remounted then you would be charged an additional $50 for the dish relocation.  At least, that is the way it is supposed to work.

The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#14 OFFLINE   dlt

dlt

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:54 AM

I just had my total roof replaced (decking and all)  I had the roofer take dish off roof, had DISH come out and install it on SIDE of house, NOT the roof, never install dish on roof, will leak over the years.

#15 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:42 PM

Ask the roofer if having someone else install will void the roof warranty too.

Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#16 OFFLINE   owensdj

owensdj

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:44 AM

Here's a follow up question to my original post.  I had Dish installers come after the roof was replaced to put the dish back up.  That's all they had to do, but it looks like they're going to charge $50 even though I pay for the Protection Plan.  Is that a normal fee for something that simple?  I get the impression the tech support guy I talked to didn't understand the situation.  He said it was his first day on the job. 

Edited by owensdj, 10 July 2013 - 08:44 AM.

#17 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,151 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:25 AM

Here's a follow up question to my original post.  I had Dish installers come after the roof was replaced to put the dish back up.  That's all they had to do, but it looks like they're going to charge $50 even though I pay for the Protection Plan.  Is that a normal fee for something that simple?  I get the impression the tech support guy I talked to didn't understand the situation.  He said it was his first day on the job. 

Yes that's normal. I'm surprised they didn't charge $95 actually. The protection plan doesn't cover things like you getting your roof done and having to reset the dish as a result and just for future reference it doesn't cover things like people deciding to rearrange furniture and moving the tv's around and now they want the receivers moved. What the protection plan is for is if Dish's equipment or installation is faulty and needs replaced or repaired.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#18 OFFLINE   eisberg

eisberg

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:14 PM

Try to get your installers to keep the cabling intact and put the dish back up aimed approximately right. Then just have Dish re-aim it. They did that for me N/C (I have the protection plan).

No, bad idea, never allow the Roofers to put the dish back on. I am an installer, and I have never seen a roofer put the dish back on right, they always don't put the center of the footplate with lag bolts right onto a joist. Every single time I go to a house to repoint the dish because the roofer couldn't get the angle just right, I always (100% of the time) have to take the dish off the roof, fill the wholes with tar and patching material, and move the dish to a proper location.

#19 OFFLINE   eisberg

eisberg

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:16 PM

I'm going to have the roof replaced in the next two weeks or so.  What's the best way to handle this?  Do I allow the roofing guys to remove the dish and then call a Dish installer to put it back up after the roof is finished?

Save your self from having more holes in your roof then needed. Do not let the roofer put the dish back onto your roof, call Dish Network, and have the Dish installer put the dish back on the roof. 100% of the time roofer will not install the dish right to the roof, never installing the dish so that the Center lag bolts on the footplate are on the roof joist.

#20 OFFLINE   eisberg

eisberg

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:18 PM

Ha! Ha! My roofers did an excellent job. I trust them a lot more to properly seal the installation. They actually had a signal that only needed tweaking by Dish.

Guaranteed your roofers did not put the Dish centered on a joice with 3 inch lag bolts. I have been an installer for 5 years, and 100% of the roofer never get it right.

spam firewall