Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Building a Haswell i7 System

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,911 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:13 PM

Well, it's that time. My Core 2 Duo E6600 (code name Conroe), while perfectly adequate for web browsing and business tasks, is inadequate for some of what I want to do. The processor is from 2007 (no, really), the motherboard is from 2010, and the video card (a nVidia 460) is also from 2010. Considering that I want to play with the newer games as well as dabble in virtualization, it's time for a replacement.

And, yes, Haswell has me drooling. I think USB 3.0 implementation is now mature. I can't wait for the Z87 motherboard reviews. This ought to be fun. 

"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,981 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:49 PM

stash $2000 for newest greatest include nVidia 690 ;)

#3 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,911 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:32 PM

You mean the nVidia 770. I can cut some of the costs by recycling some of the stuff from my current system such as the SSD, DVD-ROM, and video card. Those are easily upgradable later. 

"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,981 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:04 PM

I stop monitoring the video cards latest numbers... too fast changing and too expensive for not a gamer :(

#5 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,911 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:40 AM

Comparison of the different motherboards for the Haswell

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,981 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:08 AM

man ... I need 30" monitor to see the table !

#7 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,911 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:37 AM

I found a site called PC Part Picker which is a price tracking site for PC Parts (thanks LifeHacker)) and threw what I liked in my system. The answer was essentially "start saving".  :rolling: Well, it's nice to have an idea, plus I can skimp on some stuff now and upgrade future. (I can get by with 8 GB of RAM instead of 32GB, my existing 460 video card and SSD drive work work great). 

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,981 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:08 AM

told yeah :)

#9 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:14 PM

man ... I need 30" monitor to see the table !

Just print it out on one page and use a microfiche reader. :)

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#10 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:09 PM

Actually that comparison is pretty handy. (Awkward to use, but still handy.) :)

Just start removing motherboards that don't have the things you need and you might have a managable list fairly quickly. For instance I want display port, that zapped 1/2 the motherboards in an instant. Then some tweaking and I'll be down to a nice system to drool over and not be able to afford for a year anyway... :)

Peace,

Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...