Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

PP upgrade questions

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Magic9

Magic9

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:36 PM

I received the upgrade email and did some searching. According to the account page, we will be eligible June 19th. The question comes from, on that same account page, it says a free "GenieGo" (under my equip., listed in my services). Also says, "Not Eligible, Reequires Activation of you Receiver".

Is my upgrade a free Genie GO? Or am I also going to get a Genie and they are including a free Genie GO? I've never had any free upgrade before (5yrs. or so) and have always had the pp. I did buy our 3rd HDDVR from the website at a discounted $99 price. That was about a year ago.

Second question, if it is a HRx4, will they send it to me and let me install it? We have the swm8, but I'd rather swap our HR21 for the new one and disable one tuner on the HR23 for a total of 8 tuners (5 from HRx4, and 1 from HR23 for a total of 6 on an unsupported MRV. Plus 2 on the R22 in the kids room (no MVR). Is that possible and would they let me go that route?

Do all HRx4 come with the wifi? I've been meaning to get the Cinema Kit, but haven't got around to it. This would eliminate that step.

Last question, has anyone been offered Sunday Ticket along with the Genie? I see it's back for new customers, but would be interested. Especially with 6 tuners to record the games I want.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   r028806

r028806

Mentor

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:13 PM

Call to verify what the offer is.  It MUST be installed by a tech.  Please wait until 6/19 because that is when the offer will show up for a CSR to give you the proper information.  GenieGo is AKA the Nomad, used for recording programming to be viewed on mobile devices. :rolling:

Slimline 5 / SWM 16
Whole Home Enabled
Cinema Connection Kit (Coax)
HR24-500 :hurah:
HR23-700 :grin:
HR22-100 :lol:

HR23-700 :sure:
H25-500 :rolling:

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,367 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:36 PM

I received the upgrade email and did some searching. According to the account page, we will be eligible June 19th. The question comes from, on that same account page, it says a free "GenieGo" (under my equip., listed in my services). Also says, "Not Eligible, Reequires Activation of you Receiver".

Is my upgrade a free Genie GO? Or am I also going to get a Genie and they are including a free Genie GO?

if it is a HRx4, will they send it to me and let me install it?

Do all HRx4 come with the wifi? 

Last question, has anyone been offered Sunday Ticket along with the Genie? 

1.  Call DirecTV to find out.

2. it depends whether your account is flagged with SWM, but why not let DirecTV install it for you properly 

3. the HR34 does not have WiFi built in, the HR44 does

4. :shrug:

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   Magic9

Magic9

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:39 AM

1.  Call DirecTV to find out.

2. it depends whether your account is flagged with SWM, but why not let DirecTV install it for you properly 

3. the HR34 does not have WiFi built in, the HR44 does

4. :shrug:

1. I'm waiting until the 19th. It just seems odd because a GenieGo does not help at all without a Genie. Plus I haven't seen anybody post that they were offered the Go also. I can't figure out why it's listed in my services.

2. SWM8 system installed years ago by DTV so it's on the account. Bad past experiences and a familiarity with our current set-up leads me to believe I can install the receiver quicker and at least just as well as anybody they send. Plus, it feels wrong to have another man fumbling around with our equipment. A violation of sorts.

3. I'll have them send a CCK also then. It looks like most are getting the HR34.

4. It doesn't hurt to hope! :yesman:

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,367 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:49 AM

not sure I understand #1 above, the GenieGO is not dependent on a Genie, it works with any HDDVR.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   Phil17108

Phil17108

Mentor

• Registered
  • 85 posts
  • LocationOrange County California

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:30 AM

I went to D's website the other day and found that because we have the protection plan that we have a free upgrade. So I put the Genie in the basket and was told to call. Did, got the new stuff coming next Monday. One Genie and 2 clients, we are keeping one hd24. There was nothing about GenieGo. If I end up with a 44 does it use wired connections. The last thing I want is some sorta tech trying to set up wireless. I just need a plug and play, every thing ells is there. Clean and not seen.

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,367 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:14 PM

I went to D's website the other day and found that because we have the protection plan that we have a free upgrade. So I put the Genie in the basket and was told to call. Did, got the new stuff coming next Monday. One Genie and 2 clients, we are keeping one hd24. There was nothing about GenieGo. If I end up with a 44 does it use wired connections. The last thing I want is some sorta tech trying to set up wireless. I just need a plug and play, every thing ells is there. Clean and not seen.

Yes you can set up the HR44 "hard wired"

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:33 PM

1. I'm waiting until the 19th. It just seems odd because a GenieGo does not help at all without a Genie. Plus I haven't seen anybody post that they were offered the Go also. I can't figure out why it's listed in my services.

2. SWM8 system installed years ago by DTV so it's on the account. Bad past experiences and a familiarity with our current set-up leads me to believe I can install the receiver quicker and at least just as well as anybody they send. Plus, it feels wrong to have another man fumbling around with our equipment. A violation of sorts.

3. I'll have them send a CCK also then. It looks like most are getting the HR34.

4. It doesn't hurt to hope! :yesman:

Technically you can install the Genie yourself if you have the proper setup - however per policy all Genie orders need to be set up with an installation due to the amount of issues presented by accounts that are incorrectly marked as having SWM, issues with tuner capacity, and other factors.  So be prepared for the CSR to tell you that you need an installation.

#9 OFFLINE   Magic9

Magic9

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:54 PM

Sorry for not updating, but several times I couldn't sign in here. This is a rant followed by some questions. I appreciate any feedback on the questions and feel free to skip the rant.

I still haven't called, but did receive another email about a rec. upgrade. so I'm sure it's a Genie. About two weeks ago, our signal dropped by a large amount. One day fine, next day really spotty and some channels were hopeless. Due to recent storms, DTV was backed up. After a nightmarish time trying to get appt. (CSR entered wrong date, one time was a no-show), a guy finally shows up, sees the signal is low and the trees in the backyard, declares it hopeless and prepares to run away.

I told him that I've heard that before when it was first installed. After 3 incompetent techs and many hours couldn't get it installed right, a 4th visit by a tech who called himself the fixer, had it up and running in 15 mins. No problems for almost 4 years. Very minor fade in heavy storms. 

After arguing that the trees didn't bush out enough overnight to kill most reception, and the fact he checked to see that we didn't report issues in the past, he scouted a new spot a few feet over, we stuck a pole in and mounted it lower. It works fine now (90s). I appreciate the work he eventually put in, but not the time that was wasted to convince him that service was possible, the way he seemed surprised that he could get a lock on a signal, or the fact that he strolled through the house like it was his (ripped booties that were worn outside don't really help my germaphobia any).

Sorry for the super long rant, but out of the various techs we've had here for various companies and services (10-15 approx.), only 2 would I want to return. This intensifies my opposition to having a tech come and install a Genie. Which leads to a few questions.

1) I understand that Dtv will require a tech install, but the email tip for unsupported MRV worked flawless. I know I can't be the only one on here to want to self install. Anybody successfully get one shipped? Even if they had to pay out of pocket?

2) I have a SWM8 and will have a total of 9 tuners. Can I deactivate one tuner on the HR24 and only use a total of 8 tuners? Is there any problem with that that I'm not seeing?

3) Does the Genie connect up the same as other HR? Plug in ps and connect the cables already in my HR24? (sorry if stupid ?, just want to verify it's a simple swap) 

4) I found the HR34 for $150 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co...pd_bxgy_e_img_y

Is it worth it or should I spring for a HR44? (Assuming it's impossible to convince D to just let me install)

#10 OFFLINE   Dradran

Dradran

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:52 AM

Magic9,

I do not think they require a tech on all installs.  I received a HR44 with 2 C41 clients a few weeks back via dropship.  No appt was necessary and I installed them myself.  I believe I have a SWM-8 setup.  I replaced 1 HR-21 and 2 H21 receivers. 

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,367 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:58 PM

I still haven't called,
[

why not, anything that we say might be a moot point since DirecTV has the last word. That would be one of the first ting I would have done
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,275 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:06 AM

Sorry for not updating, but several times I couldn't sign in here. This is a rant followed by some questions. I appreciate any feedback on the questions and feel free to skip the rant.

I still haven't called, but did receive another email about a rec. upgrade. so I'm sure it's a Genie. About two weeks ago, our signal dropped by a large amount. One day fine, next day really spotty and some channels were hopeless. Due to recent storms, DTV was backed up. After a nightmarish time trying to get appt. (CSR entered wrong date, one time was a no-show), a guy finally shows up, sees the signal is low and the trees in the backyard, declares it hopeless and prepares to run away.

I told him that I've heard that before when it was first installed. After 3 incompetent techs and many hours couldn't get it installed right, a 4th visit by a tech who called himself the fixer, had it up and running in 15 mins. No problems for almost 4 years. Very minor fade in heavy storms.

After arguing that the trees didn't bush out enough overnight to kill most reception, and the fact he checked to see that we didn't report issues in the past, he scouted a new spot a few feet over, we stuck a pole in and mounted it lower. It works fine now (90s). I appreciate the work he eventually put in, but not the time that was wasted to convince him that service was possible, the way he seemed surprised that he could get a lock on a signal, or the fact that he strolled through the house like it was his (ripped booties that were worn outside don't really help my germaphobia any).

Sorry for the super long rant, but out of the various techs we've had here for various companies and services (10-15 approx.), only 2 would I want to return. This intensifies my opposition to having a tech come and install a Genie. Which leads to a few questions.

1) I understand that Dtv will require a tech install, but the email tip for unsupported MRV worked flawless. I know I can't be the only one on here to want to self install. Anybody successfully get one shipped? Even if they had to pay out of pocket?

2) I have a SWM8 and will have a total of 9 tuners. Can I deactivate one tuner on the HR24 and only use a total of 8 tuners? Is there any problem with that that I'm not seeing?

3) Does the Genie connect up the same as other HR? Plug in ps and connect the cables already in my HR24? (sorry if stupid ?, just want to verify it's a simple swap)

4) I found the HR34 for $150 on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.co...pd_bxgy_e_img_y
Is it worth it or should I spring for a HR44? (Assuming it's impossible to convince D to just let me install)

Wait, you have a HR23 or an HR24 you'd be keeping. I don't see a mention of an HR24 till this post. It makes a difference in what I'd do. If its an HR24 you don't plug a Ethernet cable into it, just plug in Ethernet to the HR34/44 and it will be connected as well, and then make sure you get a bsf for the r22 in the other room, as you don't want to have the deca signal hitting that box.

If its an HR23 and for some reason you insist in staying with your home network, then you need to put a bsf on the line coming from the genie, but do it as far away from the genie as you can in the line.

And you can pay for a hr44 via solid signal and be guaranteed it.

Personally, I'd take it from DIRECTV if you can get it cheaper. You can always redo something if you don't like how they install it after they leave. I have found if you chat with an installer first and let him know what you expect before he even walks in the door you can usually be good to go. This especially works if you have all the wires ready to go and just need to have them plugged in.

When I was at my folks last year for their genie upgrade, I got the installer to let me crawl under their house with the swim 16 and install it myself instead if having him do it since there are a million wires under there that he doesn't know anything about. The key is being nice about it all.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...