Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

No signal on 103 on new HR44 only

Best Answer Kevin L , 15 June 2013 - 08:56 AM

OK, it's fixed. Turns out it was the LNB. I ordered a new SL5 from Solid Signal. Unplugged the three receivers, swapped the LNB, restarted and tested the receivers one at a time, starting with the HR44, and all receivers are seeing all sats with very strong signals in the 90s to 100 (except for some spotbeams, of course). I then unplugged the HR44, attached a 4-bay RAID-5 tower with four 2TB drives, yielding 6TB of storage. This will give me the same storage I had with my three HR20s since they each had 2TB drives. One HR20 is retired, and the other two will be retired when I watch all the shows on them.  

Thanks for all the suggestions. If the two HR20s weren't receiving 103ca and cb, I would have suspected the LNB or cable right away. But since the cabling was all good and the HR20s worked, the suspect was the HR44. I guess the HR44 is more sensitive to low signals than the HR20s.

Kevin

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:38 AM

Did you check all five tunners on the HR44?

HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Kevin L

Kevin L

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 97 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Florida

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:51 AM

Did you check all five tunners on the HR44?

Yes, and both tuners on each of the HR20s. Strong signals on the HR20s and all zeroes on all five tuners of the HR44.

#23 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:17 AM

Since your at IV screen you had the HR44 activated. In order to get to that it verified the configuration before it gave you the call Directv screen. If the 103 was missing it would have stoped prior to the activation screen. If a tech was there he would have a get waiver prompt. You should have a continue prompt. I would select continue and see if there is any searching for a satellite signal going on.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using DBSTalk mobile app

#24 OFFLINE   Kevin L

Kevin L

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:53 AM

It is activated and I am using the HR44. Of course I'm not getting a lot of the HD channels. Whenever I turn to those channels or the 95xx channels to test the 103 signals, I get the 771 searching error. I've run sat setup numerous times, unplugged and let it sit, unplugged the PI on the SWM and restarted, did a Reset Everything, all to no avail.

Any possibility it's the long run from the LNBs to the SWM (about 50') or the short cable from the PI-29 and the SWM (about 2')?

Thanks,

Kevin

#25 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:25 PM

50 feet isn't much. If the HR20's both work on either SWM 1 or 2 then the HR44 should also.

The only model we have used is the HR44-500. The first lot we got would activate fine but came default with show all channels. Going to a sd local would result in 771. Cheking the signal strengh would show zero's on half the transponders on the 101. The first one almost caused me to run outside and start replacing stuff. I thought about it for a New York Minute and forced a software upgrade. That fixed the issue.

Which model is solid signal shipping?

#26 OFFLINE   Kevin L

Kevin L

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:28 PM

It's the 500 model and it is updated to the latest version.

#27 OFFLINE   SolidSignal

SolidSignal

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:32 PM

Sorry to be late on this conversation.

I wanted to clarify that unfortunately DIRECTV does not allow any dealer to swap out an activated receiver.

#28 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,931 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:23 PM

When you say your swapped the cables at the HR20 and HR44, do you mean you picked up and moved the HR20 and plugged it in where the HR44 is plugged in, and vice versa? When you say swapped cables, it makes it sound like you're switching stuff around on the SWM16 or something like that, which is not the same thing.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#29 OFFLINE   Kevin L

Kevin L

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:31 PM

When you say your swapped the cables at the HR20 and HR44, do you mean you picked up and moved the HR20 and plugged it in where the HR44 is plugged in, and vice versa? When you say swapped cables, it makes it sound like you're switching stuff around on the SWM16 or something like that, which is not the same thing.

I can understand the confusion. I don't have the typical setup. All my DirectTV receivers (one HR44 and two HR20s) and my TiVo Premier XL are in a rack in an air-conditioned closet centrally located in my home. All the DVRs go to an Onkyo HT receiver that can be played on the two TVs we use. So I took the cable off the back of the DVRs and reconnected them to the other DVRs, trying every combination. I have also tried a homerun from the SWM to each of the DVRs, and also from the splitter of the other port of the SWM. In every case, the HR20s have strong signals on 103 ca and cb, and the HR44 has all zeroes.

Thanks,

Kevin

#30 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:07 PM

You likely have a power issue. HR20-100's have a grounded plug. Disconnect all the lines to the SWM16 except for the HR44. Does the issue go away?

Most likely not. Drag a extention cord from another room a portable tv and just plug up your HR44 the tv.

If the problem goes away your on the right track.

If not call Directv. When the tech calls ask.

#31 OFFLINE   Kevin L

Kevin L

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:22 PM

I'm a little confused where you think the power problem is. Are you thinking it's at the SWM or at the DVRs? I have tried the HR44 with it as the only receiver connected to the SWM, and that didn't help. I cannot get a TV to the HR44, but I have HDMI homeruns for all TVs to the Onkyo receiver. I can feed an HDMI cable from the TV to the HR44, but it will still be a 65' HDMI run, but that shouldn't affect the DVR.

#32 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:41 PM

The power issue can be anywhere. Flat screens have floating grounds. HDMI cables conduct electricity from one ground to another. The coaxial shield can pass the voltage along to the switch and affect the way it works. You sound flush, walmarts open 24 hours, keep your receipt.

Or just have a tech out. ;)

#33 OFFLINE   Kevin L

Kevin L

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:03 PM

Understood. I can pull power from another outlet for the HR44 and grab a monitor with HDMI and isolate it that way.

Thanks,

Kevin

#34 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,253 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:06 PM

The 15 feet "rule" with the PI is when you are using the signal to IRD port of the PI. if he PI is connected to the middle port, there there is no cable length limitations. as far as the 40 feet to the dish, this is not a problem, no need for any amps. amps are used for longer cable runs

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#35 OFFLINE   Kevin L

Kevin L

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 97 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:01 AM

The 15 feet "rule" with the PI is when you are using the signal to IRD port of the PI. if he PI is connected to the middle port, there there is no cable length limitations. as far as the 40 feet to the dish, this is not a problem, no need for any amps. amps are used for longer cable runs

Thanks for the clarification. I thought it was odd that there would be a minimum cable length on the power port of the PI.

I have a new LNB coming tomorrow and will swap it out first to see if that will fix the problem. If not, I'll try more troubleshooting with cabling.

Thanks,

Kevin

#36 OFFLINE   Kevin L

Kevin L

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 97 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:56 AM   Best Answer

OK, it's fixed. Turns out it was the LNB. I ordered a new SL5 from Solid Signal. Unplugged the three receivers, swapped the LNB, restarted and tested the receivers one at a time, starting with the HR44, and all receivers are seeing all sats with very strong signals in the 90s to 100 (except for some spotbeams, of course). I then unplugged the HR44, attached a 4-bay RAID-5 tower with four 2TB drives, yielding 6TB of storage. This will give me the same storage I had with my three HR20s since they each had 2TB drives. One HR20 is retired, and the other two will be retired when I watch all the shows on them.  

Thanks for all the suggestions. If the two HR20s weren't receiving 103ca and cb, I would have suspected the LNB or cable right away. But since the cabling was all good and the HR20s worked, the suspect was the HR44. I guess the HR44 is more sensitive to low signals than the HR20s.

Kevin

#37 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,253 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:46 PM

Awesome. Thanks for the update
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...