Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Genie and HDMI Splitter

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:55 AM

Buddy of mine called me his New Genie doesnt work with his HDMI Splitter His Old DVR was a HR21 so he just upgraded. The Directv guy swapped them out and now it NO longer works ! I went over to see if they had it plugged in correctly and everything was fine even switch out the splitter with another working splitter ! NOPE Anyone else here splitting the HDMI on the Genie HR34 ?

King Cable Cutter ! XBMC , PLEX , Raspberry Pi   Love my New Boxes :)

Avatars are to protect the Ugly people from scaring others !
Come from the land of Pennsylvania where Cable TV was invented ! Had HBO back in the 70's and total cable bill was $ 12.00 and all TV's got Cable with no extra fee ! Been using satellite since the C-Band Days and Dave and Charlie

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,289 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:57 AM

I am not "splitting" but rather using a matrix switch from SS. works flawlessly

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:14 AM

Buddy of mine called me his New Genie doesnt work with his HDMI Splitter His Old DVR was a HR21 so he just upgraded. The Directv guy swapped them out and now it NO longer works ! I went over to see if they had it plugged in correctly and everything was fine even switch out the splitter with another working splitter ! NOPE Anyone else here splitting the HDMI on the Genie HR34 ?

Would nice to know what maker and model of the splitter(s).

#4 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:21 PM

Would nice to know what maker and model of the splitter(s).

This is the model we both have, because I got them 4 years together.

http://www.amazon.co...mi splitter 1x4

Edited by Rickt1962, 02 June 2013 - 06:23 PM.

Come from the land of Pennsylvania where Cable TV was invented ! Had HBO back in the 70's and total cable bill was $ 12.00 and all TV's got Cable with no extra fee ! Been using satellite since the C-Band Days and Dave and Charlie

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:30 PM

I would say it's good to use based on words "HDCP 1.2 protocol compliant"... I would check its power supply first.

#6 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:58 PM

I did.. I took mine over thinking the same thing ! Now im wondering if Dave is playing GAMES again !  Just like my HR21 when I used my Video output the yellow RCA jack to my Video Modulator and it says Video format not compatibale and had to buy a Component Video convertor

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:06 PM

if I coud I would look into 'messages.log' on your drive to see what the heck is it !

#8 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,940 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:28 PM

Probably a bug of some sort, but... Does anyone know if Directv issues SRMs to revoke HDCP keys, or maybe does it as part of their firmware updates? Do you both have the same setup? I wonder if you left yours at his place for a few days, or maybe rebooted the receiver with it attached, if yours would start having the same problems? If so, it would likely be key revocation.

I still think it's probably not that, but if you've ruled out everything else and believe it might be a revoked HDCP key, try this:

http://www.ebay.com/...=item3cd03c17d3

This is one of the favorite products for those who seek what is known as an "HDCP stripper". It takes in HDCP encrypted HDMI, but outputs unencrypted HDMI. It is supposed to be safe from key revocation, though I'm not sure of the mechanism. I'm sure it relies on the HDCP master key crack from a few years ago, so either every one ships out with a different key, or it is capable of generating itself a new key if the one it is using gets rejected.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#9 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:53 AM

Probably a bug of some sort, but... Does anyone know if Directv issues SRMs to revoke HDCP keys, or maybe does it as part of their firmware updates? Do you both have the same setup? I wonder if you left yours at his place for a few days, or maybe rebooted the receiver with it attached, if yours would start having the same problems? If so, it would likely be key revocation.

I still think it's probably not that, but if you've ruled out everything else and believe it might be a revoked HDCP key, try this:

http://www.ebay.com/...=item3cd03c17d3

This is one of the favorite products for those who seek what is known as an "HDCP stripper". It takes in HDCP encrypted HDMI, but outputs unencrypted HDMI. It is supposed to be safe from key revocation, though I'm not sure of the mechanism. I'm sure it relies on the HDCP master key crack from a few years ago, so either every one ships out with a different key, or it is capable of generating itself a new key if the one it is using gets rejected.

No my setup is a HR22 and HR21 both work with my Splitter. He just got the HR34 and now he wants his old DVR back if it cant split the HDMI we all know what DAVE did with there updates on the HR receivers when you use the Standard Video Yellow RCA output jack ! You get the BIG BLACK OUT BOX ! which they didnt want you sending your signal to the rest of your standard TV's in the House while you where in 1080 mode with the main TV

#10 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,940 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:25 PM

Its possible a recent update on the HR34 did a key revocation. If so the same may be done on a future HR2x firmware as well. I guess if you have the same problem next time yours get an update then you'll know why.

#11 OFFLINE   emilymartin986

emilymartin986

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:29 PM

You always want to use a powered HDMI Splitter that is EDID and HDCP compliant. I have used several of KVMSwitchTech's HDMI Splitter products and they work great.

#12 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,940 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:49 PM

You always want to use a powered HDMI Splitter that is EDID and HDCP compliant. I have used several of KVMSwitchTech's HDMI Splitter products and they work great.

The issue is, that's what he did. But something has changed to make it not work any longer at his friend's house.

#13 OFFLINE   Phil17108

Phil17108

Mentor

• Registered
  • 85 posts
  • LocationOrange County California

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:37 AM

This worries me a little. I received a free upgrade from DTV and set it up for next week to work through an issues before the install. I am using a Monoprice splitter that is just 3 or 4 months old. Its what thy call Pro, the best thing about it you don't know its there. I have a new AVR before splitter  in the chain with HDMI 1.4/3D speck. I was thinking that the splitter was 1.4 also having replaced a matrix that was not 3D and 1.3. Just checked Monoprice, and the spec for HDMI is not there, I know it sure was at one time.

#14 OFFLINE   Phil17108

Phil17108

Mentor

• Registered
  • 85 posts
  • LocationOrange County California

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:10 AM

This worries me a little. I received a free upgrade from DTV and set it up for next week to work through an issues before the install. I am using a Monoprice splitter that is just 3 or 4 months old. Its what thy call Pro, the best thing about it you don't know its there. I have a new AVR before splitter  in the chain with HDMI 1.4/3D speck. I was thinking that the splitter was 1.4 also having replaced a matrix that was not 3D and 1.3. Just checked Monoprice, and the spec for HDMI is not there, I know it sure was at one time.

We got the free upgrade yesterday, I kinda expected an hr34, and got the 44, neat. It's supper fast and just replaced a 23 in the living room. No problems with anything. The splitter works. I think that the rest of the whole home system is faster and in one case a lot.

#15 OFFLINE   Kev4Bama

Kev4Bama

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:21 PM

I got an HR-44 today and I have a monoprice pro powered HDMI splitter and everything appears to be working fine for me.

HR23-700 ,H21-200, H24-700, Genie H44-700 AU9-SL3 Dish
SWM-16 , DECA network hooked to internet, WHDVR/MRV

Tailgate Setup: AU9-SL3 on 3' Tripod, H21-200
runs on Legacy port of SWM-16 when not at the game.

#16 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:40 PM

it would be good if you will provide its model

#17 OFFLINE   Kev4Bama

Kev4Bama

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:47 PM

it would be good if you will provide its model

MonoPrice HDMI-120E3 Item #4921 I believe it has been replaced with a newer model now

HR23-700 ,H21-200, H24-700, Genie H44-700 AU9-SL3 Dish
SWM-16 , DECA network hooked to internet, WHDVR/MRV

Tailgate Setup: AU9-SL3 on 3' Tripod, H21-200
runs on Legacy port of SWM-16 when not at the game.

#18 OFFLINE   CorporalCuddler

CorporalCuddler

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:10 PM

I realize that this is an old topic, but I'm hoping I can get some updates from people that dealt with this issue.

I've found out that Directv's Genie and Genie Mini are in an "always on" state, and so HDMI switchers will never automatically switch over to these boxes.  Apparently there are some apple products that are the same way ... I'm told.  Anyway, so MANUALLY, the switch will work, but for someone like me who has all of their electronics in a closet, this is a serious issue.  I don't want to have to go to the closet everytime I want to switch back to regular tv.

The only solution I can think of is to get an IR transmitter, where the sensor is next to the tv, and the receiver is back with the HDMI switch, so that I can use the HDMI switch remote to switch inputs without having to walk to the closet.  I haven't done this yet, but as far as I can figure, it's the only solution to this issue.

Has anyone else come up with a better solution?

#19 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,193 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:33 PM

Without knowing your whole setup and why your using a switch in the first place it's hard to make any other suggestions.

#20 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,289 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:09 PM

I realize that this is an old topic, but I'm hoping I can get some updates from people that dealt with this issue.

I've found out that Directv's Genie and Genie Mini are in an "always on" state, 

While the Genie is never really off, when is on standby, all of its outputs are off. So an automatic switch should detect when the Genie is "off" a Genie mini is actually off rather then standby 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...