Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Tornado Researchers Killed by Friday Tornado

storm chasers tornado

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,581 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:00 PM

Personally, I would not call them chasers as that brings up the image of the guys who chase storms for the thrill of getting close and getting video to sell for money.

Tim Samaras, his son Paul Samaras and Carl Young were researchers who developed some of the technology used to study tornados. Tim founded the TWISTEX organization that studies tornadoes. They were featured as part of the Discovery Channel program Stormchasers.

From the NY Daily Times:

Storm chasers killed by Oklahoma tornado died 'doing what they LOVED,' family and friends say
Tim Samaras, his son Paul and longtime colleague Carl Young were among nine killed Friday in El Reno after an EF-3 twister tore through the town. Families and friends on Sunday remembered the meteorologists' contributions to understanding the powerful storms.

tornado-chasers.jpg
CHARLIE NEIBERGALL/ASSOCIATED PRESS

Three storm chasers were among the nine killed in the deadly EF-3 tornado that ripped through El Reno, Okla., on Friday.

Colorado storm chaser Tim Samaras, 55, his son Paul Samaras, 24, and his longtime chase partner Carl Young, 45, were killed, Tim Samaras' brother confirmed in a statement posted to Facebook on Sunday.

"It truly is sad that we lost my great brother Tim and his great son, Paul. Our hearts also go out to the Carl Young family as well as they are felling the same feelings we are today. They all unfortunately passed away but doing what they LOVED. Chasing tornados," Jim Samaras wrote.

Read more: http://www.nydailyne...0#ixzz2V5Rv7cfQ

Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:06 PM

This hit me when I heard it this morning, Tim is  a cousin of mine.  Tim was a complete professional in storm studies and will be missed.

RIP Tim

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   kfcrosby

kfcrosby

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:47 PM

Very sad news indeed. The meteorology community has lost prestigious scientists. Just goes to show how extremely unpredictable these storms can be.

The one thing I cannot get over is the OKC TV news broadcast telling people that if they could not get underground, then get in the car and "get south". I guess we all saw what happened as a result of that. They were very lucky the tornadoes didn't take a run down I-35, I-40, I-44, or any other other local roads clogged with traffic. The death toll would have surely been much worse.

Kevin Crosby
Memphis, TN
DirecTV subscriber since 1996

#4 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Registered
  • 809 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:45 PM

I remember him from the Storm Chasers show on Discovery.  When I heard one of the chasers from the show had been killed, I couldn't believe it was him and is group.  From watching the show, his team was always the most conservative and I remember several times on the show where he refused to get near various storms because he didn't want to get anyone on his team hurt.  Very sad indeed.

Thanks,

Rich

Thanks,
Rich

HR44-500 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR24-100 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR23-700 - HDMI to Insignia 42" Plasma
HR22-100 - HDMI to LG 32" LCD
HR21-700 - WD 1T Green Power drive - HDMI to Toshiba 65HM167 65" rear projection

R22-200 - Component to Insignia 42" Plasma
R15 - svideo to Toshiba 32" tube tv

#5 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,016 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:58 PM

RIP Tim & Paul Samaras and Carl Young.

So sorry for the families of the lost stormchashers. 

Was driving around rural El Reno looking for houses of co-workers of the GF (who works in El Reno, seat of Canadian county) but the sheriff had many roads blocked off including the one where the tornado killed folks. 

The tornado made a virtual 90 degree turn to get the stormchashers so they didn't do anything stupid, just unlucky in a dangerous situation.  Another crew survived being lifted 30 feet in the air then thrown another 200. 

The death toll stands at 16 more missing. 

After El Reno this tornado set it's sights on Yukon where the GF lives.  On TV they're telling folks that you must be underground to survive so she evacuated and had a harrowing drive to my place across town where I have an in-ground garage shelter.  The peace of mind it provides makes the shelter well worth it.  We're all ready for the season to be over and traditionally about now is when it ends.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#6 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,016 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:53 PM

Update - It was a record-breaker, 2.6 miles across and second-highest measured winds at 295 MPH. 

Death toll stands at 18 with people still missing.

NORMAN — In the rare category of EF5 tornadoes, the one on Friday in the El Reno area was “super rare,” a National Weather Service meteorologist said Tuesday.

The Weather Service updated its estimate Tuesday of the tornado that struck El Reno Friday, determining it was an EF5, the strongest classification for a twister. It was a record 2.6 miles wide and tracked across 16.2 miles.

http://newsok.com/el...article/3841672

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

spam firewall