Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Roof Issues/Dish Relocation/ETF

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   AMike

AMike

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 370 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:12 AM

The technician conducted a site survey of my home.  He did identify several locations on the ground where the dish could be installed, however, there is one catch.  Since the cable line coming into my home is used by Comcast, the only alternative would be to drill a hole on the side of the house and run the lines along the side of the house.  He told me there was no way to discreetly hide the cable.  

Since this was all about aesthetics initially, we have decided to keep the dish on the roof.

But, the installer that came out contradicted something that I was told earlier by a different technician.  As mentioned above, the dish is located quite high on our roof.  Today's installer told me that he can install it there and said that the other person probably didn't want to do that.  So I guess there are different rules for different installers.

DirecTV subscriber 1999-2011, 2012 - present
Comcast subscriber 2011-2012, 2013 - 2014

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,981 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:54 AM

The rules are there, some just refuse to follow them...:) Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Edited by peds48, 04 June 2013 - 07:55 AM.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#23 OFFLINE   AMike

AMike

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 370 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:00 AM

Update on this situation:  the roof project was delayed due to weather here until this morning.  The roofer informed me that the vent that we had been using for our Directv cable from the dish is being replaced since that vent is obsolete.  Basically, the cable from the dish will have to be re-routed.  Based on what was stated earlier, drilling a hole in the wall and running cable along the side of the wall is not an option.

I contacted D* this morning explaining the situation.  The CSR told me that they would consider this under the mover's plan and work on a discreet wiring solution which is scheduled for Thursday morning.  If does not meet our satisfaction, we will be allowed to cancel without an ETF.

#24 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,981 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:01 PM

If does not meet our satisfaction, we will be allowed to cancel without an ETF.

Did you get that in writing?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#25 OFFLINE   AMike

AMike

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 370 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:57 AM

Did you get that in writing?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

It was implied.  I am probably going to wish I got that in writing if this install does not go well.

#26 OFFLINE   AMike

AMike

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 370 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:23 AM

Just as I was typing my reply, the installer showed up.  Fortunately, it was the same person as last week who knew our situation.  When he saw the new roof, he said I can't install this through your roof.  All other options were not available as the only way in is occupied by cable and phone lines.  He's putting in his report to D* now.  

I am sure when I call to cancel, they will send another technician out to validate the concerns.

#27 OFFLINE   AMike

AMike

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 370 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:00 AM

And the final post here.  As expected, there was a little bit of an issue with the ETF.  The initial retention person I spoke with told me that the ETF would remain in effect.  I then had the installer join me on a conference call to explain the situation to retention.  As a result, the ETF has been waived.

I am not exactly happy about leaving D* this time as I have invested quite a bit in a "man cave" geared for multiple televisions viewing Sunday ticket.  I loved my HR34 and the service.  Hopefully when I move in a few years, I'll be able to rejoin the D* family.

#28 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,076 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:00 AM

Glad you got the ETF waived, but sorry to hear you couldn't get your dish re-installed.

Bittersweet ending I suppose ....

Earlier in this thread I really thought a Commdeck could have been the savior here as a great roof mount solution in this situation. In fact they are specifically designed just for situations like these, but apparently for whatever reasons it drew no response or interest from you.

So ... good luck with wherever else you go from here. 

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#29 OFFLINE   AMike

AMike

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 370 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:03 PM

Well, like a bad penny, I'm back with D*, but it was not without jumping through a few hoops.  After this situation, I had switched to Comcast which was 3 1/2 months of complete frustration especially using their X1 platform which looks slick but is horrid (that's another topic for another time).

I received one of the typical e-mails after you cancel stating, "we'll take you back, no questions asked".  Once Comcast frustrated me yet again, I decided to take D* up on that offer and see if there was a way to make this happen after this prior situation.  I made the arrangements to have the installation on Tuesday afternoon.  I explained the roof situation to the installer once he arrived and he basically said I can't install this.  I called D* to let them know what occurred and the CSR stated, we'll have a supervisor come to your home.  They send 2 installers to my home today with a different company, and they state, yeah, we can install this.  They were able to run the cable on the roof through a vent at the very top of the roof.  Now, I know that they may have gone outside of their normal process to make this happen, but it got done.

Needless to say, I'm very happy to be back.

#30 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,571 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:36 PM

Put it in the front yard with one of those decorative rocks covering it.

As to the multiswitch in the attic, that could probably be relocated as well.

DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#31 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,939 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:53 PM

I had switched to Comcast which was 3 1/2 months of complete frustration especially using their X1 platform which looks slick but is horrid (that's another topic for another time).

I got a pretty good X1 platform offer in the mail, and am halfway considering it (DirecTV is getting too expensive). So tell me (via PM if you wish) what made it horrid - the "other topic" discussion.

Thanks

#32 OFFLINE   AMike

AMike

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 370 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:44 PM

I got a pretty good X1 platform offer in the mail, and am halfway considering it (DirecTV is getting too expensive). So tell me (via PM if you wish) what made it horrid - the "other topic" discussion.

Thanks

What made it horrible:

• Scheduling recordings lost after power cycling unit.
  • Saved recordings lost after power cycling unit.
  • Entering channel numbers is slow.  
  • At end of recording, DVR will freeze.
  • Extended time added to recordings does not always work.
  • Audio quality through a receiver sounds like it is coming through a tin can.
  • DVR/receivers cannot be turned off via remote control.
  • No indication on DVR that recording is taking place.
  • Installation personnel who do not know how to properly install this product.
  • Escalation to Tier 2 support occurs within 72 hours of call.

Comcast is offering good deals for X1, but it's not worth the headache.  I just want to watch TV not spend all of my time on the phone with people who don't know what they are doing or waiting forever for calls back.  I'm just glad they were able to get me re-installed back with D*

#33 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:44 PM

I'm not sure why all the heartache over the reroof. When We had a reroof, The Roofer made sure to put the Mounts for the dish and the dish back in place where they had been with the wires and guaranteed that it would have no impact on warranty. A simple repoint and done.

Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#34 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,981 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:14 PM

I'm not sure why all the heartache over the reroof. When We had a reroof, The Roofer made sure to put the Mounts for the dish and the dish back in place where they had been with the wires and guaranteed that it would have no impact on warranty. A simple repoint and done.

Right on!

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...