Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Broadband Throughput Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:47 AM

I recently subscribed to Comcast Internet at the 20Mbs tier.  I usually average download speeds of around 12Mbs or about 60% of provisioned.  My question is...if I upgraded to the next tier (50Mbs), should I expect a 30Mbs average based on 60% of provisioned...or would I still only pull down 12Mbs?

Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, Joey x2

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:47 AM

If you aren't getting the 20Mbs you are paying for I would call there tech support folks and complain. I've always gotten the speeds promised from Comcast where we are. If fact they just doubled the speeds a couple months ago. I think we are supposed to get 25. I usually saw about 30. Now it is over 50.

#3 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,081 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:43 PM

I recently subscribed to Comcast Internet at the 20Mbs tier.  I usually average download speeds of around 12Mbs or about 60% of provisioned.  My question is...if I upgraded to the next tier (50Mbs), should I expect a 30Mbs average based on 60% of provisioned...or would I still only pull down 12Mbs?

As mentioned you should call them for a service call due to low throughput based on the figures you stated your actually pulling down compared to what you are in fact paying for.

However, if you simply move up a tier to the higher package you will see speed inprovements in about the same proportions as you get from your current pacage. So if your getting about 60% now, you'll get about the same percentage of the new speed listings.

Again I'd schedual a service tech visit no matter if you upgrade or now to maximize your thoughput as much as possible. Warning: It may take a visit or 2 to get this correctly addressed and corrected as they typically only send out an "installer" the first time which can not work on the actual line. At that point he will contact his supervisor to schedual a "line tech" to come back out to take care of the issue.

#4 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:15 PM

As mentioned you should call them for a service call due to low throughput based on the figures you stated your actually pulling down compared to what you are in fact paying for.

However, if you simply move up a tier to the higher package you will see speed inprovements in about the same proportions as you get from your current pacage. So if your getting about 60% now, you'll get about the same percentage of the new speed listings.

Again I'd schedual a service tech visit no matter if you upgrade or now to maximize your thoughput as much as possible. Warning: It may take a visit or 2 to get this correctly addressed and corrected as they typically only send out an "installer" the first time which can not work on the actual line. At that point he will contact his supervisor to schedual a "line tech" to come back out to take care of the issue.

I think in my case the lower throughput is more a function of too many subscribers on the same pipe than anything wrong with my line specifically.  I do hit 20Mbs on off hours..it just slows down during peak time when all my neighbors are streaming netflix as well.  I will still call and complain, however. 

Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, Joey x2

#5 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,319 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:45 AM

I get all kinds of test results with my Comcast service. I ran the typical tests tonight plus a data intensive one offered through UC Santa Cruz. The results are posted in the How fast is your Internet Connection? thread.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

spam firewall