Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Power consumption?

Power usage power draw

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mcholak

mcholak

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:49 AM

I'm considering upgrading to Genie for a number of reasons.  One of the things I'm trying to weigh is the cost of running my two boxes now.  I'm currently running a HR22-100 and an HR21-700.  I've heard horror stories of DVR's using as much power as a refrigerator.  I don't know that I believe that, but I don't have any way to test/confirm that.  Do any of you know how much power these units are using? I'd assume the C31 uses relatively little power since there is no hard drive, tuner, etc? 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:58 AM

Nope!  Not anywhere close to a refrigerator!

I measured an HR24-500 once and it seem like it was somewhere around 20 Watts.  I'd expect the the HR21/22/23 to be pretty close.... 

#3 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:37 AM

More info here:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ectv-receivers/

#4 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:10 AM

They use way less energy than a 60W light bulb....I believe the figure is the 30-40W range.  Not even on the same planet as a refrigerator, wherever you read that from I would stop reading info there, cos they dont have a clue.

#5 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,499 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:41 AM

This might be where that came from:

http://news.cnet.com...energy-at-home/

#6 OFFLINE   h_a_h_3

h_a_h_3

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:51 PM

I measured my new HR44 at 19-20 watts with my kill-a-watt, C41 client at 4 watts - didn't really change whether it was "off" or "on". My previous HR21 drew about 40 watts all the time. Cable company DVRs that get really hot to the touch could certainly be using more power - my 21ft3 fridge uses 260W with the compressor running but only 6W when it's not for an average of about 60W over time.

#7 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,399 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:33 PM

I'm considering upgrading to Genie for a number of reasons.  One of the things I'm trying to weigh is the cost of running my two boxes now.  I'm currently running a HR22-100 and an HR21-700.

The HR2x series consume about 24W (203kWh/year) (NOT including the 5W DECA adapter) according to Steve Dulac, a director in DIRECTV's Engineering Department. The Genie is just a little over 29W (240kWh/year.

I'd assume the C31 uses relatively little power since there is no hard drive, tuner, etc?

DECA makes up quite a bit of the C31/C41 power cost. Dulac's numbers are 6W when "active" and 5W when inactive for a net of 31kWh/year.

In the grand scheme you're probably looking at a difference of less than $10/year between worst case and best case (unless you live in Hawaii).

http://www.energysta...recTV-Dulac.pdf

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#8 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,180 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:00 PM

Interesting that in 2016 they'll be an RVU client that can do "deep sleep". Thanks for posting.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#9 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,180 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:02 PM

Also Genie going down another 2 watts in the future.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#10 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:39 PM

My R22 and R15's use about 25 watts.  You save a big 2 watts by putting them in standby (whoppee).  My D12 takes about 6 watts.

My EnergyStar Fridgidare refrigerator which is only a couple years old takes 100 watts (but, of course, it doesn't run 24 hours a day like a DVR).  So considering how often the refrigerator runs (about 25% of the time) your assumption is correct-a DirecTV DVR takes as much electricity as a modern refrigerator!!   :money:

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#11 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,905 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:48 PM

I've measured about 32 watts per box.  You'd be better off changing a light bulb (or several) to CFL or LEDs.  Something that's not productive.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#12 OFFLINE   mcholak

mcholak

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:56 AM

Thanks for all the replies and information!  To clarify, I've read that some DVR's use as much power as a refrigerator, not that DTV's specifically do.

#13 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:52 PM

Cable company DVRs that get really hot to the touch could certainly be using more power

On that same note, does anyone know how much power the SWM-8, SWM-16 and SWM LNB use.  Both of the external switches can run hot.

#14 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:35 PM

SWM16 is about 17 watts, not including the power it supplies the legacy LNB (another 9 watts or so)  Sonora has a doc on this with more information on power draws than you'd ever want to know, though it doesn't include a SWM LNB.

http://sonoradesign....POWER_sheet.pdf

A device doesn't need to draw a lot of power to get extremely hot. It just needs to either not dissipate its heat through the air very well, and/or have a lot of its heat concentrated in a small area. Even a device that draws only a tenth fo a watt would get extremely hot in a vacuum (not that most of us run our SWM16s that way)

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#15 OFFLINE   h_a_h_3

h_a_h_3

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:44 AM

My SWM LNB adapter says max 25W on the label - a friend has my kill-a-watt temporarily.

#16 OFFLINE   JAYPB

JAYPB

Legend

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:53 AM

I know I'm a little late to the party but I'm just curious if everyone who responded to this discussion has multiple DVR's/HD-DVR's and is questioning the power consumption/usage.

I've never really bothered to look at my electric bill in comparison to my neighbors/friends, but with less money in my pocket this year we've started to look at ways to cut monthly costs....and the electric bill is the focus now. My neighbors bills aren't as high as mine. They also don't have 3 kids....or 8 DVR's in their household....and laptops and xbox's and....you get the idea.

I currently have 5 HD-DVR's (all in the HR20-HR 23 range). I also have 3 Directv Non-HD Dvr's.

Suffice to say my electric bill is like a car payment.

Obviously the level of recording we do in my house has the hard drives spinning all day/night.

Just wondering how much of my monthly bill is coming from the DVR portion of the electronics in my house.

Guess my question is: Does anyone have 8 DVR's running in your household? Your electric bill over $300/mth? You live in the northeast?

I'm going to have to get a hold of one of those kill-a-watt units to check how much draw my units are pulling on average.

:eek2:

D* sub
1 HR20/3 HR21's/1 HR22/1 AM21/3 R15's /5LNB/3LNB/single LNB dishes...and a large utility bill!!!

#17 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,984 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:03 AM

I know I'm a little late to the party but I'm just curious if everyone who responded to this discussion has multiple DVR's/HD-DVR's and is questioning the power consumption/usage.

I've never really bothered to look at my electric bill in comparison to my neighbors/friends, but with less money in my pocket this year we've started to look at ways to cut monthly costs....and the electric bill is the focus now. My neighbors bills aren't as high as mine. They also don't have 3 kids....or 8 DVR's in their household....and laptops and xbox's and....you get the idea.

I currently have 5 HD-DVR's (all in the HR20-HR 23 range). I also have 3 Directv Non-HD Dvr's.

Suffice to say my electric bill is like a car payment.

Obviously the level of recording we do in my house has the hard drives spinning all day/night.

Just wondering how much of my monthly bill is coming from the DVR portion of the electronics in my house.

Guess my question is: Does anyone have 8 DVR's running in your household? Your electric bill over $300/mth? You live in the northeast?

I'm going to have to get a hold of one of those kill-a-watt units to check how much draw my units are pulling on average.

:eek2:

While the $300 gets your attention, what is your average kilowatt/day?

A rough count of 8 DVRs would be about 5 kilowatts/day, or two 100 watt lights running 24 hours.

A.K.A VOS

#18 OFFLINE   randyk47

randyk47

Icon

• Registered
  • 814 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:10 AM

I really try not to worry about it.....until I read threads like this.  :eek2:  Luckily Mrs. K pays all the bills so it's a bit of "out of sight, out of mind" for me.  When I look around the house I kind of shudder at what we have plugged in and running at some level.  We've got iPad chargers, iPhone chargers, Harmony remote control chargers, wireless house phone system with a base and five handsets all on chargers, three DirecTV DVR's and a SWM16, three desktops and two laptops, all sorts of LAN routers/switches wired and wireless all on transformers, and the list goes on and on.  That's not to mention the normal things in life like lights, blowers for our dual zone AC, refrigerators (2), freezer, washing machine and dryer, and my biggie is that several thousand gallon pool in my backyard with its three pumps.  Yep.....the more I think about it the more I don't want to think about it.  :sure:

Edited by randyk47, 20 December 2013 - 10:12 AM.

Elite 70" HD LED/HR44/AM21/Denon AVR/Harmony 900
Samsung 52" HD LCD/HR21/Yamaha HTR/Harmony One
Samsung 40" HD LED/HR23/AM21/Pioneer HTR/Harmony 900
Samsung 32" HD LCD/OTA
Slimline Dish
SWM16
MRV
Attic Mounted HD OTA
U-verse Internet/Phone

#19 OFFLINE   JAYPB

JAYPB

Legend

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:22 PM

I really try not to worry about it.....until I read threads like this.  :eek2:  Luckily Mrs. K pays all the bills so it's a bit of "out of sight, out of mind" for me.  When I look around the house I kind of shudder at what we have plugged in and running at some level.  We've got iPad chargers, iPhone chargers, Harmony remote control chargers, wireless house phone system with a base and five handsets all on chargers, three DirecTV DVR's and a SWM16, three desktops and two laptops, all sorts of LAN routers/switches wired and wireless all on transformers, and the list goes on and on.  That's not to mention the normal things in life like lights, blowers for our dual zone AC, refrigerators (2), freezer, washing machine and dryer, and my biggie is that several thousand gallon pool in my backyard with its three pumps.  Yep.....the more I think about it the more I don't want to think about it.  :sure:

Lol. That's the spirit! That's where my mind was always at....until now. And I've got most of what you describe above...especially the electronics...in spades!

D* sub
1 HR20/3 HR21's/1 HR22/1 AM21/3 R15's /5LNB/3LNB/single LNB dishes...and a large utility bill!!!

#20 OFFLINE   JAYPB

JAYPB

Legend

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:25 PM

While the $300 gets your attention, what is your average kilowatt/day?

A rough count of 8 DVRs would be about 5 kilowatts/day, or two 100 watt lights running 24 hours.

I will have to check what the KW/day is on our bill. Add in the fact that the kids don't seem to understand how to hit the "sleep" button on their TV's when they fall asleep....or shut down their laptops....or turn off their xbox/ps3's/tablets when they are plugged in and charging.

It was pure torture living with them when Sandy hit! You never realize just how much *stuff* you have plugged in until you try and use a portable generator for a few hours at a time!

D* sub

Protected By... spam firewall...And...