Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish size for Spot Beam fringe reception

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rlamp1

rlamp1

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:22 PM

Any advice on what dish size to use when attempting to receive fringe signals of spot beams?

Thanks!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   l'Aucherie

l'Aucherie

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:48 PM

Satbeams.com shows the footprints of all the spotbeams and the dish sizes required to receive them.  By definition, spotbeams are very tightly focused, but spread out to some extent based on the angle to the satellite from your location.

• rlamp1 likes this

#3 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,746 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:14 PM

Some posters who describe their reception location within a spot beam as fringe are not actually located in the authorized DMA, so even if they go with a larger dish, they often will not get the reception of the spotbeam they desire because reception there is corrupted by spillover from other spotbeams of the same transponder that are targeted elsewhere

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,838 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:49 PM

it depend how far you on the fringe ... why not give us precise location and your DMA ?

Edited by P Smith, 04 June 2013 - 03:49 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   rlamp1

rlamp1

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:37 PM

this is for an RV account so I move quite a bit, thanks for the responses

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:49 AM

plot it on a map or use JL's diagrams of all SB by yourself if you like keep your route private :)

#7 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:54 AM

satbeams.com has footprint maps, and you can click on a location to see what levels are available there.

#8 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,739 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:30 PM

The easy thing to do is to call Dish when you move and have them set you with the locals in that area.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#9 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,584 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:19 PM

Dumb question...  if it is an RV account... and you are on the fringe of a spotbeam...  wouldn't it be easier to drive the RV to a location better suited to pickup the spotbeam?

• RasputinAXP likes this

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#10 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:53 AM

I would think you vacation based on where you want to go, not where you can get the tv reception you want....

• damondlt likes this

#11 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:57 PM

:up:

#12 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,162 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:00 PM

I would think you vacation based on where you want to go, not where you can get the tv reception you want....

Quite right! But for some, where he wants to go is where he can get the TV reception he wants.....

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#13 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,584 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:00 PM

I hear ya...  what I was wondering, though... is IF you are on the fringe... rather than fighting that...  wouldn't be it easier to move closer inside the spotbeam?  The spotbeams usually cover a pretty large area... so I'm not talking move to another city for your vacation... maybe just down the street.

#14 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,720 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:31 AM

Just a reminder ... RVing is often not a vacation. It can be a full time lifestyle. Sell the home and live on the road.

I certainly would not want to have to choose my locations based on a signal level. DISH's two arcs make it harder to have one dish to pick up each market's locals while traveling. One would need two dishes ... one if parked in an eastern arc location and one if parked in a western arc location. If one RV'd primarily in the west a single dish aimable for western arc should be fine, (With a western arc dish one would not be able to get local HD in eastern arc locations without a second dish.)

Most spot beams cover their entire market but some of the western markets are huge and fringes exist. But there should not be a need for a special larger dish. It just needs to be aimed properly.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#15 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,584 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:02 PM

Most spot beams cover their entire market but some of the western markets are huge and fringes exist. But there should not be a need for a special larger dish. It just needs to be aimed properly.

Yeah, I said "vacation" but I meant to include the full-time RV-ers too...  I was basically getting at what you said...  the spotbeams are usually over a fairly large area... and while a person in a stationary home has to put up a larger dish if he lives on the fringe... someone in an RV has the option of moving the RV closer inside the spotbeam location.  I certainly don't know everything there is to know about RV-ing... but I was just thinking it might be easier to move into the spotbeam from the fringe than to come up with a special setup.

#16 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:18 PM

I would take 3m dish with my RV ( now, where is the money to buy it ?! :) )

#17 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 338 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:54 AM

I would take 3m dish with my RV ( now, where is the money to buy it ?! :) )

A 3 meter dish is a 10ft dish where do you mount that on a RV?

#18 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:49 AM

outside... having it my own wood stand and split it for 4 segments on a road ...

#19 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,465 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:58 PM

I'd have 3 - 3m dishes, one for each satellite, on their own trailer pulled behind my 5th wheel. :listening

Edited by Jim5506, 09 June 2013 - 12:59 PM.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#20 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:31 PM

pictures, please :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...