Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

In DNA Ruling, a Cruel Blow to Scriptwriters

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,661 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:30 AM

From today's NY Times:

Do Anthony M. Kennedy, Clarence Thomas, Stephen G. Breyer, Samuel A. Alito Jr. and John G. Roberts Jr. not own televisions?

Those are the Supreme Court justices who on Monday made up the majority of a 5-to-4 decision that gives the police broad power to grab a DNA sample from a suspect in a serious crime. Never mind the issues of unreasonable search and privacy that the decision raises. What about its effect on TV crime shows?

[more]

/steve

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   photostudent

photostudent

Godfather

• Registered
  • 295 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:54 AM

We will just laugh when we see reruns where they have to sneak samples of DNA.

#3 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,305 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:55 AM

Not too many shows have a problem with suspending reality or merely stretching it.... :evilgrin:

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#4 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:12 AM

The fact that they get the DNA analyses back within a few hours already suspends reality.

#5 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,549 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:46 AM

Ah, well, things are not like they used to be.

From this 2012 article DNA machine can sequence human genomes in hours:

A UK firm spun out from Oxford University has come up with a DNA sequencing machine the size of a USB memory stick, a move that is set to revolutionise the industry....

Oxford Nanopore has spent the last three years developing the machines in secrecy in collaboration with scientists at Harvard and University of California Santa Cruz. The devices are based on DNA "strand sequencing", and could be launched as soon as the second half of the year.

One of the machines, known as GridION, is the size of a DVD player. They can be stacked and plugged into each other to increase the speed. The other sequencer - the "MinION" which is expected to cost less than $900 (£569) - is as small as a USB memory stick.

And then there's this April 2013 article Teenage scientist builds DNA machine to find out why his brother has ginger hair:

Fred Turner, 17, was determined to find a scientific explanation for the fact that his locks are straight and brown while 14-year-old Gus has ginger curls.

So he spent almost a year building the complex equipment – called a Polymerase Chain Reaction machine – using bits and bobs he found around his home, including an old video recorder.

I can remember when building a crystal radio set was a big deal for a kid....

Anyway, there's this from Autogen:

The QuickGene-Mini80 is built by FujiFilm Life Sciences and offered in North America by AutoGen. This is a compact personal extraction system for rapid isolation of DNA or RNA from a variety of samples. ...The QuickGene-Mini80 processes 8 samples in 15 minutes, saving valuable time and labor in your lab....

banner_mini80.gif

So if your local police department doesn't want to mess with "bits and bobs" to assemble their own machine, they can buy one.

Edited by phrelin, 05 June 2013 - 09:56 AM.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#6 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,305 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:20 AM

Nice finds, phrelin! 

I won't stop until I perfect a DNA analyzer that's not only fast, it can sample without touching the, uh, suspect. It'll use some combo of radar, sonar, infrared, and a materializer similar to the one on Star Trek, but much smaller. 

#7 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,356 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:29 PM

Future Watch

For the singles dating scene, first date: a quick kiss, then a subtle touch to ones lips then to a smart phone's internet-connected DNA analysis app will instantly and secretly yield to the user the following information: credit rating, criminal history, mental stability, financial statement, health status, sperm count and genetic suitability for biological parenthood.

It's coming.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#8 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,305 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:39 PM

It should also include information how recently the suspect, I mean potential date, has had sex, with whom, and was it fully satisfactory. Also, gotta have the ovary check for soundness if you're doing a sperm count.

#9 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,246 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:52 PM

You really want to make a zillion dollars? Create a small scanner that you can quickly scan a person and see if they have any STD's, you can stock them in stores next to the condoms or for that matter put them in vending machines in nightclubs.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#10 OFFLINE   russ9

russ9

Godfather

• Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:45 PM

Future Watch

For the singles dating scene, first date: a quick kiss, then a subtle touch to ones lips then to a smart phone's internet-connected DNA analysis app will instantly and secretly yield to the user the following information: credit rating, criminal history, mental stability, financial statement, health status, sperm count and genetic suitability for biological parenthood.

It's coming.

Well that should cut down on population growth. And second dates, for that matter.

Edited by russ9, 05 June 2013 - 10:46 PM.

Dishing it up since 4-4-1997
vip722K hooked up to a bunch of stuff. Like a bigger TV.

Soon to be on Dish network, explained by a BBC spokesman

#11 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:04 AM

While the Supreme Court just ruled in favor of this, it has actually been going on for a quite a while. Most states require DNA swabbing for violent felonies at the time of arrest. And it's not like that swab gets put in the system, there's an instant match, and the suspect is now charged with a new crime. If gets put in the system and if a match occurs, the detective that submitted the original sample is notified, but it could be a few weeks. The detective then needs to write a search warrant for a DNA sample from the suspect to compare directly to the original sample. That comparison will take a few weeks at least.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#12 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:45 PM

I'm not connecting the dots here.  What does a Court ruling have to do with TV scriptwriting for a fictional show?

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#13 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,266 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:10 PM

I'm not connecting the dots here.  What does a Court ruling have to do with TV scriptwriting for a fictional show?

The previous interpretation of the law was that the authorities could not compel a DNA sample. So in many fictional shows they showed detectives and investigators getting DNA via sneaky methods ... for example, offering their interview suspect a drink and then saving the cup for DNA testing. Some criminals on shows have been portrayed as avoiding such traps.

The ruling will allow authorities to compel ... so the need to be sneaky goes away. The thought is that shows that show sneaky investigators will be mocked - why be sneaky when you can compel? Especially in shows where they explain via dialog that they cannot compel DNA and they have to be sneaky.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#14 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,305 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:06 PM

Heh. It could be a flashback!! 

#15 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:11 PM

... for example, offering their interview suspect a drink and then saving the cup for DNA testing. Some criminals on shows have been portrayed as avoiding such traps.

Well, that wasn't fiction.  That happened in some real cases.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#16 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:32 PM

The previous interpretation of the law was that the authorities could not compel a DNA sample. So in many fictional shows they showed detectives and investigators getting DNA via sneaky methods ... for example, offering their interview suspect a drink and then saving the cup for DNA testing. Some criminals on shows have been portrayed as avoiding such traps.

The ruling will allow authorities to compel ... so the need to be sneaky goes away. The thought is that shows that show sneaky investigators will be mocked - why be sneaky when you can compel? Especially in shows where they explain via dialog that they cannot compel DNA and they have to be sneaky.

Just to clarify, the ability to compel is when the subject is arrested. Either consent or a search warrant is still needed if someone is just a suspect and is not under arrest.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#17 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,266 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:20 PM

Just to clarify, the ability to compel is when the subject is arrested. Either consent or a search warrant is still needed if someone is just a suspect and is not under arrest.

That should help with most shows where they are being sneaky and have not arrested the suspect. Brought in for questioning and arrested can be a fine line. I'm sure that in real life investigators will continue to use discarded DNA in the same ways as the fictional shows have shown investigators using it.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#18 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,661 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:10 AM

From today's New York Times:

Slowly, and largely under the radar, a growing number of local law enforcement agencies across the country have moved into what had previously been the domain of the F.B.I. and state crime labs — amassing their own DNA databases of potential suspects, some collected with the donors’ knowledge, and some without it.

And that trend — coming at a time of heightened privacy concerns after recent revelations of secret federal surveillance of telephone calls and Internet traffic — is expected only to accelerate after the Supreme Court’s recent decision upholding a Maryland statute allowing the authorities to collect DNA samples from those arrested for serious crimes.

[more]

/steve

Protected By... spam firewall...And...