Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Wireless Router needed?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Forsberg21

Forsberg21

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:37 AM

If I can connect an ethernet cable from my HR24-500 to my Comcast router, will I be able to rely on this connection to get live TV thru my iPad 4?  Some things state I need a wireless router to get the ability to watch Live TV on my iPad 4, but others seem to say I just need to be "connected."  I only have 1 DirecTv DVR in my house, so the whole home thing I don't need, I just want to be able to watch live TV on my iPad 4. 

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,791 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:54 AM

I think your iPad needs to connect to your home network.

A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   Forsberg21

Forsberg21

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:57 AM

I think your iPad needs to connect to your home network.

Thanks for the reply, and I believe it does as well.....I am just trying to figure out if I my HR24-500 is "connected" with an ethernet cable, and if so, does that mean I can watch live TV with my iPad or will this not work?  If not, does that mean I must have a wireless router?

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,791 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:05 AM

The DVR can be hardwired to your network.

How does your iPad connect to your home network?

This is why/where the wireless router is needed.

A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   Forsberg21

Forsberg21

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:23 AM

The DVR can be hardwired to your network.

How does your iPad connect to your home network?

This is why/where the wireless router is needed.

I have Xfinity Wirelss Gateway, so I was told it would allow me to have wi-fi access using my home network.  I thought if I hooked up my HR24-500 with an ethernet cable and then rely upon my Wireless Gateway, I would then be able to watch live TV with my iPad......is this wrong?  

Edited by Forsberg21, 05 June 2013 - 11:24 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,791 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:57 PM

I have Xfinity Wirelss Gateway, so I was told it would allow me to have wi-fi access using my home network.  I thought if I hooked up my HR24-500 with an ethernet cable and then rely upon my Wireless Gateway, I would then be able to watch live TV with my iPad......is this wrong?  

It sounds like your wireless "Gateway" is a wireless router. [problem solved]

A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,729 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:30 PM

In your iPaid, go into settings, Wi_fi and see the networks appear in the Wi-fi pane you may see a number of these depending on your neighborhood. Look for one that doesn't have a lock symbol in front of it that has 2 or 3 bars in the signal meter "cone" and choose that. Note if you get a number of unlocked networks well. . . Your broadband installer may have givern it your last name or some name you told them to use.

Another way is to use the web browser on your computer to go to http://192.168.1.1 where it should ask you for a password (most default to admin/admin or admin/(hit enter) and you should be able to poke around, find your wireless network, name it as you see fit and embed WEP2 encryption (to password protect (IOW lock) your network from outsiders).

Once you have accepted the network in your iPaid (and provided the password) it will no longer prompt you to join this "known" network it will auto connect for you

Don "hope this helps" Bolton

It sounds like your wireless "Gateway" is a wireless router. [problem solved]

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#8 OFFLINE   Forsberg21

Forsberg21

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 01:57 PM

Thanks for the info guys, I really appreciate it.  Can someone tell me what the DirecTv Cinema Connection does?  What purpsoes would this be needed?  If I connect via ethernet from my HR24-500 to my Xfinity Wirless Gateway (Router & Modem in one) and get it all "connected," I should be good to go with ordering On Demand and with using my iPad as well, right?  I just don't know what the DirecTv Cinema Connection kit does......?

Edited by Forsberg21, 06 June 2013 - 01:58 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 808 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:06 PM

Thanks for the info guys, I really appreciate it.  Can someone tell me what the DirecTv Cinema Connection does?  What purpsoes would this be needed?  If I connect via ethernet from my HR24-500 to my Xfinity Wirless Gateway (Router & Modem in one) and get it all "connected," I should be good to go with ordering On Demand and with using my iPad as well, right?  I just don't know what the DirecTv Cinema Connection kit does......?

You would want to use a Cinema Connection Kit instead of a direct ethernet connection if you had whole home, or if your router/gateway was not within cabling distance of your HR24.  For your setup you don't need it if you're ok with hooking up an ethernet cable. You'll have the ability to get OnDemand and watch live TV on the iPad as long as your HR24 is connected to the router and your iPad is connected to the same router.

Edited by JBv, 06 June 2013 - 02:07 PM.

DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#10 OFFLINE   Forsberg21

Forsberg21

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:08 PM

You would want to use a Cinema Connection Kit instead of a direct ethernet connection if you had whole home, or if your router/gateway was not within cabling distance of your HR24.  For your setup you don't need it if you're ok with hooking up an ethernet cable. You'll have the ability to get OnDemand and watch live TV on the iPad as long as your HR24 is connected to the router and your iPad is connected to the same router.

Wow, that was a quick response.  Thanks for the info JBv, I really appreciate it! 

#11 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,359 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:21 PM

You'll also need to go into your Settings Menu and authorize additional devices (the 'Pad). Sounds like everything else is good to go. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...