Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Newbie with GenieGO questions

Genie Go

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Smokeyspop

Smokeyspop

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:15 PM

Hi there,

I'm new here and hoping to get some understanding on how the GenieGO is working from a practical sense. Any help is greatly appreciated. My questions are:
1) if all of my 4 dvrs are networked with shared playlists, will one GenieGO unit plugged into one of the dvrs give me access to all of my programming through GenieGO?
2) how big are the files that transfer to laptops/iPads/etc? For example, how big is a 2-hour program going to take up on my 16 gb iPad?
3) how long is the transfer process?
4) is the transfer process done by connecting the GenieGO to my laptop/iPad/iPhone/etc via USB or is it wireless?
5) has anyone had success getting the unit for free?

Thanks, again, for any help you all can provide.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,183 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:33 PM

Hi there,

I'm new here and hoping to get some understanding on how the GenieGO is working from a practical sense. Any help is greatly appreciated. My questions are:
1) if all of my 4 dvrs are networked with shared playlists, will one GenieGO unit plugged into one of the dvrs give me access to all of my programming through GenieGO?
2) how big are the files that transfer to laptops/iPads/etc? For example, how big is a 2-hour program going to take up on my 16 gb iPad?
4) is the transfer process done by connecting the GenieGO to my laptop/iPad/iPhone/etc via USB or is it wireless?

1) Yes

2) It's been a while but I think it's about 400 MB per hour

3) 30 days but can be re-odownloaded

4)  transcode is 1:1, 1 hour for a 1 hour program. done unattended on the geniego (you can close the client.  Download is about 5 min. per hour program, depending on your network

5) Probably depends on the CSR and your history, but just had a friend get one free on his new setup.

Go for it, particularly if you travel.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#3 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,925 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:21 PM

Hi there,

For #1, the GenieGo does not plug into a DVR. It has an ethernet connection so you connect it to an available port on your router/switch. That also means that your networked DVR's need to be connected also need to have connectivity to your network that the GenieGo is connected to.

#2, a 30 minute recording of Storage Wars was 281,408KB

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#4 OFFLINE   Smokeyspop

Smokeyspop

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:49 PM

Awesome. Thanks for your replies. So the go unit can actually stay in my server room and the transfer process can occur wirelessly?

#5 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,925 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:56 PM

Awesome. Thanks for your replies. So the go unit can actually stay in my server room and the transfer process can occur wirelessly?

Yep, anywhere as long as it has internet connectivity, access to your wireless router and can see your HD DVR's on the same IP network.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#6 OFFLINE   Smokeyspop

Smokeyspop

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:29 PM

Thanks again for your help. I just got the Cust retention dept to ship me one for free! :-)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Genie Go

spam firewall