Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Moving SlimLine 30 FT

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   PtownBubba

PtownBubba

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:36 PM

I have a Slimline dish connected to 3  HD receivers [ H23-600, H20-100, H21-200 ]

I had some trees removed, so I want to relocate dish closer to house.

New mount J-mast is level/straight with the world, old mount has a scabby tailpipe adapter so dish would fit [ Dir TV install, not mine ]

I am thinking it may be ,,,,,,, not quite perfect straight. My  Sat. signals recd. on receivers now,  are , 99c 99s 101 103s 103ca 103cb. All channels are from 85 to 95,, most 90+ strength.

So a move of 30 ft, north, 15 ft east,, a couple ft lower,,,,,,should 'not' change much except the azimuth, correct ?  I have a signal meter [ SF-99, and just found my old Pico Peaker PP-1450 meter]

That I could use to get close,,,,, then fine tune with receiver.  There are 4 coax lines coming from LNB-s,, to multiswitch, [ 2 connected to 13v label and 2 connected to 18v label on switch ] then 3 coax lines going to receivers. If  I use the meter, which one of the 4 LNB coax lines do I connect the input of the meter to ? Or connect to each one of the 4, and peak each one  ?

I am thinking this sholud be an easy re-locate,,,,, I have done a few  standard dish setups,,,, but this HD/local aiming has me a lil' nervous.

Just tryin' to save 50 bucks,,,,, and I am sort of an outlaw and would like to try this move myself,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Attached Thumbnails

• Dish Mount1.jpg
  • Sat Dish 2.jpg
  • Sat original.jpg
  • Mast.jpg
  • New Install comparison.jpg

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 934 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:25 PM

Well you have already done a better job of mounting the dish than the DTV installer did. (although it is not up to code)

#3 OFFLINE   PtownBubba

PtownBubba

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:28 PM

thanks,,,

whose code,,,, D-TVs ????? Like I said,, the "tailpipe special " was done by a D-TV guy,,,,several years ago

] I only had long support brackets,,, so angle down supports,,, instead of up,,was all I could do,, 2 1/2 pipe set in about 3FT of concrete,,,,, house ,,will sheild a lot of wind  wiggle,,,,maybe,,,,

better than mounting on my cracker box house,,,,,

Edited by PtownBubba, 05 June 2013 - 08:30 PM.

#4 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,941 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:34 PM

perhaps those 50 bucks you spend will save you hours upon hours and get a job well done.I would have DirecTV do this one

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:01 PM

Any surprises underground at the new location ??

gas line?  sprinkler system?  electrical feed?  phone?  water line?  ancient Indian burial ground?

#6 OFFLINE   PtownBubba

PtownBubba

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:27 AM

geez,,,, 50 bucks will buy a lot of cold adult beverages,,,,plus,,, it is an adventure,,,,

I have set up a few of the old 18in standard dishes,,,, no problem,,, but this "beeg" one has me a bit intimidated  Perhaps, I could mark the azimuth on old mount, so I could move it back if there is a failure to launch on new mount. Then call D-TV  to move it.

About a month ago, I had a service call,,, my one rec. was not getting any HD channels,,, the D-TV guy changed a couple coax connections, and replaced that   coax dongle/adapter at the rec. I asked him if he could move it,,, he said no,, that would take a different work order #,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ????????????? Why he could not call and get that number,,,,,and then simply add the 50 bucks to my next bill,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,?????????? who knows,,,,, I would get the move done,,, D-TV would save on not making another trip, and  still make the 50 bucks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, someone with a higher education must make  policy. Policies  are fine, but many seem to disregard common sense.

Nothing surprising at the new post, set in concrete 3 + feet in ground. No Indians sighted, I am in Illinois, not Cleveland.

New post/J-mount is straight

My 61277 zip code settings ,,,, now ,,,, are set to 79 degree tilt ,,,, 41  Elevation, looking at Sats 99 101 103

Knowing all that,,, I am wanting to bite the bullet and  give it a try,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

#7 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,737 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:56 AM

If you have set up the old type dish in the past you probably can do it.
Just be aware that the target area you are aiming for is much smaller than before because of the type of broadcast signal coming out of the 99 and 103 sats.
All moves need to be very tiny.
There is a long procedure for doing this somewhere on this forum.
Basically you move it side to side to get the best reading you can on the 101. Then do the same with the elevation. Go back to the side to side once again. Once the 101 is as good as you can get it, then check the 99c and the 103 ca and cb numbers. Very tiny adjustments can be made to make those better and usually not mess up the 101.
I have only ever done 1 of the Slimline dish and it wasn't too bad.
I did not use a meter. I used the numbers on the TV screen and a helper relaying the numbers to me at the dish as I adjusted it.

Watch video 3 here about aligning. It is an older dish and they use a meter but it shows some good stuff.
http://www.solidsign...on-videos&mc=02

Edited by jimmie57, 06 June 2013 - 07:14 AM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#8 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:26 AM

. . .   I did not use a meter. I used the numbers on the TV screen and a helper relaying the numbers to me at the dish as I adjusted it. . . .

An advisory to readers here:

this procedure can result in a murder/suicide

!rolling

#9 OFFLINE   supermod38

supermod38

Mentor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 67 posts
  • LocationCentral VA.

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:23 AM

just do it................!! you will not have a problem, the distance you are moving will not bring a lot of changes in the settings (maybe none) . if you don't loosen the bolts for skew or elevation all you will need to do is turn till you find your signal and then tweak for best signal.

good luck..................... :up:

I'm not here for a long time, just a GOOD time!
HR34 lease- Vizio 26"
C-31-lease-32" Emerson
HR24-owned-RCA 46"

H24- owned- :righton:

#10 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,941 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:01 AM

An advisory to readers here:

this procedure can result in a murder/suicide

!rolling

While I agree 100%, for those who have time it could be an interesting experience

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#11 OFFLINE   PtownBubba

PtownBubba

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:43 AM

Cool,, thanks guys,,,,,, I am no Sat. expert,, but not afraid to try,,,, how bad can it be,,,,,,,

Interesting that the replies are from go ahead and do it,,,, to you will never be able to do it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 

I will recruit a couple buddies,, and a 12-pack,,,,  not much else needed,,,,,  :)

Thanks again for all the input,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, !!

#12 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,737 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:58 AM

Just remember to move it a tiny bit, give it a few seconds to pick up or increase the signal before moving it again.
If you are mechanical minded and patient you can do it.

Watch the Video first !

Edited by jimmie57, 06 June 2013 - 11:59 AM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#13 OFFLINE   PtownBubba

PtownBubba

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 06 June 2013 - 01:34 PM

thanx again,,,,,,,, yup watched the video,,,,

I put some markings on the old mount, so if all goes wrong,,, I can put it back.....

As mentioned,,, the only aim I may need to do is the azimuth,,,,, if I get a decent signal with just that,,,, then if I get brave enough,,, I can tinker with the elevation,,,but if I strike out with just the e-w aiming,,,, I may throw up the white flag and surrender,,,,, and put it back and call D-TV,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, no fun in that,,,,,

#14 OFFLINE   PtownBubba

PtownBubba

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:40 PM

I think I was told I did not need the multiswitch with 4 or less receivers,,,,, if true,,,, just use any 3 of the 4 LNB coaxs,,,, no particular order ?

This is how mine is now,,,, will never need more than 3 or 4 receivers,,,

DirectTVconnections.jpg

Edited by PtownBubba, 06 June 2013 - 02:45 PM.

#15 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,737 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:59 PM

You keep showing the 99,101 and 103 sats, but you show a Slimline 5 dish that would also get the 110 and 119 sats ???

#16 OFFLINE   PtownBubba

PtownBubba

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:10 PM

well,, ok,,,, here is the deal with that,,,,

I get Sat channels,,,, HD channels,, and local channels , now,,,,,, in my setup/signal strength screen on the receiver these are the only Sats  displayed,, 99c 99s 101 103s 103ca 103cb.  I think I read that the 110 and 119 sats are foreign language,,,,,,  but,,is there neat stuff I am missing or  not  getting a signal from ?????  I even recall the original installer,,,,,,,,,, mentioning or asking me if I wanted foreign channels or something,,,,,,,, but,,,,, that was the guy who put the tailpipe adapter on j-mast too, maybe I am being short-sheeted,,,,and have been forever,,,,, jeepers,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, maybe they should move,, re-aim,,, the dish for FREE !!! ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Plus a couple free PPV movies,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ?????

My plan: CHOICE XTRA CLASSIC

• Over 210 channels

• Local channels included

HBO

Showtime

HD Extra Pack

Additional info:

Sat 119    All Locals up to Ch 69, then not much for me,,,,

http://www.lyngsat.c...ectvusa119.html

Edited by PtownBubba, 06 June 2013 - 04:39 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,411 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:45 PM

I think I was told I did not need the multiswitch with 4 or less receivers,,,,, if true,,,, just use any 3 of the 4 LNB coaxs,,,, no particular order ?

This is how mine is now,,,, will never need more than 3 or 4 receivers,,,

DirectTVconnections.jpg

Only if your 4 receivers are NON DVRs.

Or 2 DVRs max. 

The Slimline lnb is only a 4 Tuner max!

Otherwise your need the WB68.

Former Directv Subscriber May 5th-2012 - November 7th 2014 

Blue Ridge Communticatons

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus anolog Bedrrom 5 and 6

#18 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,411 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:51 PM

well,, ok,,,, here is the deal with that,,,,

I get Sat channels,,,, HD channels,, and local channels , now,,,,,, in my setup/signal strength screen on the receiver these are the only Sats  displayed,, 99c 99s 101 103s 103ca 103cb.  I think I read that the 110 and 119 sats are foreign language,,,,,,  but,,is there neat stuff I am missing or  not  getting a signal from ?????  I even recall the original installer,,,,,,,,,, mentioning or asking me if I wanted foreign channels or something,,,,,,,, but,,,,, that was the guy who put the tailpipe adapter on j-mast too, maybe I am being short-sheeted,,,,and have been forever,,,,, jeepers,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, maybe they should move,, re-aim,,, the dish for FREE !!! ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Plus a couple free PPV movies,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ?????

My plan: CHOICE XTRA CLASSIC

• Over 210 channels

• Local channels included

HBO

Showtime

HD Extra Pack

Additional info:

Sat 119    All Locals up to Ch 69, then not much for me,,,,

http://www.lyngsat.c...ectvusa119.html

The 119 is only Needed for Spanish Programming and SD locals.

If a customer lives in an area where their SD locals are on the 119 and/or they have SD receivers on their account then they will get the Slimline 5

Former Directv Subscriber May 5th-2012 - November 7th 2014 

Blue Ridge Communticatons

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus anolog Bedrrom 5 and 6

#19 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,941 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:36 PM

The 119 is only Needed for Spanish Programming and SD locals.

If a customer lives in an area where their SD locals are on the 119 and/or they have SD receivers on their account then they will get the Slimline 5

There is also some religious channels as well as some mono music tap channels and some "obscured" shopping channels on the 119

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#20 OFFLINE   PtownBubba

PtownBubba

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:40 PM

So, to sum things up,,

1. no need for Sat 110 or 119   yes or no

2. No need for Zimwell wb68 switch since I have  3 HD receivers and no DVR-s  [can still add another receiver without switch, or upgrade one existing receiver to a DVR ; with another coax run ]    yes or no

3. Remove switch , and just randomly connect each lead from the LNB-s to each receiver coax,,,,, and just hide the 4th coax for later possible use.  yes or no

4. With a couple buddies and some beer,,, I can move dish form old ,,to new location,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, no sweat,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrright ?   mostly yes or maybe no

I even have a brand new in box Zimwell SAM4402-3a 4x4 multiswitch,,,, ???why I do not know ???

Edited by PtownBubba, 06 June 2013 - 08:42 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...