Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DECABB/Cinema Conn Kit Help

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gtk

gtk

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSouth

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:51 PM

I have three receivers, 1 H24/100  and 2 HR24/200's.    I have multiroom viewing. 

I am trying to connect my system to the internet for on demand stuff.   Originally the installer left me with a black box (DECABB1??). 

DECABB.jpg

It has three led's (Clink, Power, Network) but he never could get it to work.   I called Direct Tv and they said I don't need a DECABB??, that what I need is a different adapter.  

So they sent me the following (with no power supply):

DSCN0195.jpg

I am wanting to connect my system to my network at  home.   My network functions properly, no issues.

I have a cat'5' jack next to my receiver (working per laptop plugged in).   My dhcp server supplies 172.18.122.* ip addresses.

Attached is crude drawing.  

home.jpg

Everything I have read leads me to believe I originally had the correct equipment to get connected (the DECABBxx) black box.

The black box with "?" is where I have installed it.  The Power, clink, and network  light stays green when connected.  When I run through the internet connection setup, everything checks out but the "Connect to Internet". 

Do I have the right equipment, or do I need to get Direct Tv to send me the power adapter fo rthe "Connection Home Adapter" and use it ?

I am so frustrated with Direct Tv I don't know what to do.   Everytime I call they tell me something else.

thx so much if you can help.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,407 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:06 PM

See pages 11 and 13 here for a diagram and instructions to hook up the first one you had.
http://manuals.solid...White Paper.pdf

I believe this is the second one.

http://manuals.solid... Install LR.pdf

Several people on here are experts on this. I am not one of them.

Edited by Stuart Sweet, 07 June 2013 - 07:45 AM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   gtk

gtk

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSouth

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:15 PM

Thanks for the prompt reply.     I have tried the exact setup as option "1" on page 11, except for the "reboot" of the receiver.   I will try that once I get home.  Do you think that could be the issue?

#4 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,407 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:20 PM

Thanks for the prompt reply.     I have tried the exact setup as option "1" on page 11, except for the "reboot" of the receiver.   I will try that once I get home.  Do you think that could be the issue?

Yep, you have to restart when you connect it and then it finds the internet and you go thru a setup process.

I know nothing about the actual settings.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#5 OFFLINE   gtk

gtk

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSouth

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:27 PM

Same thing. I know it's a good jack, as I tried a laptop again

I've tried hard coding IP, changing DNS. No matter what I do I get the same result

0275E109-5A87-430B-BCF2-17314F13AF02-158

#6 OFFLINE   gtk

gtk

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSouth

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:11 PM

Now I have the wife pissed. Whatever I tried messed up her ability to view recoded shows in the other room. I have verified the playlist is shared

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,722 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:39 AM

It may be time to reset the network defaults on this receiver.

"Hard coding" has never resolved a connection problem for me, and by going into the advanced setup, you've lost the defaults.

"I'm guessing" the wife is using a receiver with the 169.xxx IP and why it isn't seeing this one that's been "hard coded".

A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   gtk

gtk

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSouth

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:01 AM

I have reset all the network settings, to no avail.    when I reset the network settings, it will not not get any ip address besides the "default" 169.xxx.

I did some further digging last night.    The receiver is never requesting an IP address from my dhcp server.   Even though the jack is hot, the  receiver is still not requesting a IP address. 

I had to reset my main receiver last night (HR24-100) .   Once I did, the other rooms could see the HR24-100.    But, in the process I inadvertantly completely reset my receiver & lost everything.

Any other suggestions ?

#9 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,985 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:42 AM

To me sounds like you've done everything you can do it's just that your DECA/coax network isn't talking to your ethernet network. You might just want to have a service call from DIRECTV and let the tech figure it out.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#10 OFFLINE   gtk

gtk

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSouth

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:19 AM

Well, if the service call person is anything like the installer guy, or like the "tech support" folks on the phone, then this is a lost cause.

#11 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,407 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:44 AM

Well, if the service call person is anything like the installer guy, or like the "tech support" folks on the phone, then this is a lost cause.

Again, I have not done this because I do not have it.
I have read that there is a specific startup procedure that sometimes cures your problem.
It goes something like this ( going from memory here )
Shut down all receivers,
Unplug the router to the internet,
Unplug the power inserter,
Now after about 15 seconds or more plug in the power inserter,
Start up the router and wait until it gest all it's housekeeping, etc. finished,
Plug in the receiver that you are using to connect to the internet and set it up,
Plug in each of the other receivers and let them start up.

If I remember correctly the router assigns the numbers to the receivers when they are connected to the internet and that is the reason for the specific start up sequence.

Anyone that has done this or can verify / correct this, please chime in. Thanks

#12 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,407 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:55 AM

I do have a question.
Did you use the device in the first picture and plug the Ethernet into the router ?
I do not think the 24s work with an Ethernet plugged into the receiver as one of the diagrams showed in the links I gave you.

#13 OFFLINE   gtk

gtk

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSouth

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:09 PM

thx jimmy57.

I will try that sequence again this evening.

I'm pretty knowlegeable about networking & computers, but not the way DirectTv does it.   I don't understand why I should unplug the router, but if it work, I'll try anything.   Unless someone else chimes in, I will unplug everything tonight and hook up in that sequence.

Shut down all receivers --    Just turn off ?   Or turn off & unplug ?

Unplug Power Inserter --  This is what I have labled as "power inverter" ?

To answer your other question:   Yes, I plugged my cat'5' into my receiver, but only at the request of D-Tv tech support.   After further reading, I realize this is why I lost whole-home dvr .   Supposedly when you plug cat 5 directly into the receiver, it shuts down "whole home".     Tech Support should have know that :(

wife & kids are still po'd because I lost all our recorded shows !

thx again for trying to help me figure this out.

#14 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,407 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:25 PM

Unplug all.
It is the 21volt device that powers the LNB on the dish.

Edited by jimmie57, 06 June 2013 - 12:26 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,722 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:37 PM

To me sounds like you've done everything you can do it's just that your DECA/coax network isn't talking to your ethernet network. You might just want to have a service call from DIRECTV and let the tech figure it out.

Not sure but it's starting to sound like the CCK is defective.

A.K.A VOS

#16 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:29 PM

Could be the CCK.  Have you tried running the cat5 into the back of the receiver> then restoring network defaults > connect now > wired > rest of the prompts... to see if you can get connected to the internet?  This will knock out the Whole Home but would be a good way to check if the receiver is not able to connect at all or if the CCK is fouled up.  If that works for you, I would assume this is how you've done it but just to clarify, disconnect the coax from the back of the receiver > connect to the CCK > connect coax from CCK to the receiver > connect cat5 to CCK > restore network defaults > network setup > connect now > wired > rest of the prompts. 

If the connection works hard wired but not with the CCK, then it sounds like the CCK.  If it starts working fine, cheers.

Just a heads up, the receiver needs to be connected to the internet for about 24 hours before On Demand is accessible(fully).

Edited by goinsleeper, 06 June 2013 - 04:30 PM.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#17 OFFLINE   gtk

gtk

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSouth

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:09 PM

Well, I give up. Another DTv tech guy coming Wednesday

I've tried everything in every order. I even tried two different DECABBA's.

Same thing when setting up network, it passes all checks but "Internet"

Weird thing is, I tried advanced setup again. I put in a bogus DNS (199.33.33.33), and that part failed. Put in a valid DNS server and it passed that check. It acts like its getting checking Internet. How else would it know its not a valid DNS?

#18 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,273 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:55 PM

do you have any firewalls running in your router? Perhaps MAC address filtering?

is the error code 22?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#19 OFFLINE   gtk

gtk

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSouth

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:21 PM

Yes the error code is "Not Connected (22)"
Result code 86-473

I've tried both a dynamic and static IP address (assigned by MAC address & DHCP Server)

Firewall is running , but not blocking anything outgoing. Should I be allowing certain ports through? HTTP & SSH are port forwarded to a Linux box on my network.

Nothing in the log file shows up as a possible culprit

#20 OFFLINE   BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary

Legend

• Registered
  • 215 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:06 PM

I'm not sure where you are at this point, so I will start with how I would set it up.

1. Get a power supply for the Cinema Connection Kit (the black box). The other box is really meant to work on the back of a receiver that does not have an internal DECA.

2. Wire the CCK directly to the ASUS wireless router. Having a hub between the CCK and the network attach point can cause problems. Since you seem to be using a hub for your local network you should have an available port for a direct connection on the ASUS router.

3. After the router is reset, reset all the receivers by pressing the red reset button in each of the receivers. This should give you clean IP addresses to each of the receivers. (I typically unplug all the receivers and plug them back in one at a time, but I am reading now that this method is not really recommended since the disk drives in the DVRs may not power down gracefully.)

4. Now confirm that your receivers can see one another. You should be able to see the combined recording lists on all of the receivers. If this fails, there is something amiss with how your router is assigning IP addresses or how DirecTV's receivers are dealing with Class A numbers. Because at this point there is nothing that should be causing your MRV service to fail other than an IP issue. (You seem to be network savy enough to know that you are using a reserved Class A number versus the typical Class C reserved number of 192.168.x.x. It could be that something in the design of D*'s receivers is having difficulty with this -- not sure.) I have a setup very similar to what you show in your drawing (minus the hub) and it works very well (using Class C addressing),

Hope this helps.

spam firewall