Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DECABB/Cinema Conn Kit Help

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,643 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:20 PM

Bob Stokesbary is right on target in my opinion. Your network is set up using the 172.18.x.x range. This is part of the class B address space generally only used for large corporate networks. I have seen before where DIRECTV equipment will not work properly in that space.

First thing I would try is setting the DNS to Google DNS (8.8.8.8 or 8.8.8.4) instead of depending on your router. That may help.

When I have seen this problem before I have asked people why they aren't using the Class C range (192.168.1.x or 192.168.0.x) and they usually tell me some friend of theirs set it up this way so that they would never run out of space. The class C space has 510 available addresses which should be enough for a home.

In the past I've worked with someone with this problem. I had him set his router's LAN IP address to 192.168.1.1, then turn DHCP on, and then everything "just worked." In that case all his other devices were on DHCP so it wasn't a problem with them either, but if you are using static addressing you may need to change stuff.

This isn't a new problem, it's just a sporadic one. I have seen where class B addressing will work for a while then stop working.

By the way, that's a nice picture of the DECA II broadband, I wonder who took it.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   gtk

gtk

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSouth

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:44 PM

Thx for the follow-ups.

Unless DirectTv has some type of hard-coded ranges it expects, could using the class"B" ip addresses really cause issues?   I'm open to any suggestions, but you would think hotels/business would possibly/probably have same networks (although they may not allow internet connectivity) ..   

There was a valid reason my Class"B" range setting.   My company used some vpn software that required us to have 172.18.... addresses in order to validate and connect to our internal network.    I will research and see if this still holds true (several upgrades have occured since).

Also, I had tried previously to use another "free" dns, and it did not work.

A technician is supposed to be coming out tomorrrow to help...   We will see.   I think I'll reset my router tonight to the class"C" and see if it works.

thx again

#23 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,978 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:10 PM

CCK is simple to connect. 

CCK Ethernet to router

Coax from CCK to 4 way Splitter.

Do a complete system reboot, And get rid of that Deca II adapter.

DIRECTV :Since 5/13/2012
HR34-700 / HR24-500 / HR23-700 / H25-100 / D12-200 /   Roku HD

Living Room       Master bedroom     Bedroom  2         Bedroom 3    Office/Bedroom 4      bedroom 5
Slimline 5  / SWiM 16 with CCK / MRV / 15/2 Mbps Blue ridge cable Internet
Premier / MLB EI /  HD Extra /  Protection Plan

#24 OFFLINE   gtk

gtk

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSouth

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:18 PM

Bob Stokesbary is right on target in my opinion. Your network is set up using the 172.18.x.x range. This is part of the class B address space generally only used for large corporate networks. I have seen before where DIRECTV equipment will not work properly in that space.

THANK BOTH OF YOU.    I got home this evening, and reconfigured my router to supply the class"C" ip range.   BINGO....   Connection successfull.     Now, I got to see if I can still connect to the office using this range of IP addresses.....

thanks again for everyone's help !

#25 OFFLINE   BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:28 PM

Glad to hear you have things working.

This is not the forum for network communication methodologies, but your VPN should work just fine. (Each link in an TCP/IP exchange has its own header. Your VPN software should not even be aware of the router to PC addressing.)

#26 ONLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 1,404 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:43 PM

That's really weird that it didn't work with 172.18.x.x, I find it difficult to believe that Directv will only work with that range. There must have been some other reason, though I guess it doesn't matter as you got it working.

The range 172.16-31.x.x is private address space just like 192.168.x.x and 10.x.x.x, though it is used less commonly than those other two.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#27 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,419 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:32 PM

Yes the error code is "Not Connected (22)"
Result code 86-473

I've tried both a dynamic and static IP address (assigned by MAC address & DHCP Server)

Firewall is running , but not blocking anything outgoing. Should I be allowing certain ports through? HTTP & SSH are port forwarded to a Linux box on my network.

Nothing in the log file shows up as a possible culprit

Disable the firewall, at least as a test

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

spam firewall