Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

WITN becomes NC's first tv station built from ground up for HD.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:42 PM

WITN TV Greenville, Washington, New Bern NC

North Carolina's first television station built from the ground up for HD began broadcasting local newscasts today.

Dave Jordan and Lynnette Taylor anchored WITN's News at Noon from our new broadcast facility on Arlington Boulevard in Greenville.

Plans for the new building began several years ago after a commitment from WITN's owner, Gray Television, Inc., to move the station's studios to Greenville. Construction on the state-of-the-art facility began last summer, while WITN's master control began using it the first of the year to broadcast the three WITN digital channels. WITN NBC HD, WITN 2 My Network TV, and WITN 3 MeTV.

For the past month, anchors and newscast directors have been splitting their time between the existing Washington studios and the new facility for training. Everything in the building is new, which means news and production employees had to learn several new systems before the HD facility could start broadcasting locally originated programming.

WITN continues to have local offices in Washington, New Bern and Jacksonville.

For behind-the-scene photos and video tours of the new HD studio, visit WITN on Facebook.

witn1.jpg witn2.jpg witn3.jpg witn4.jpg witn5.jpg witn6.jpg witn7.jpg witn8.jpg

Edited by jamieh1, 05 June 2013 - 05:45 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,740 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:49 PM

Hate to burst your bubble, but I'm pretty sure that both WRAL and WTVD here in Raleigh now have all digital HD plants - far at least the past couple years. I'm also pretty sure that WNCN is pretty close to that as well. And I'm not as familar with the Charlotte and Greensboro stations....

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#3 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:12 PM

Yes those stations are HD, but this new studio is a brand new building built for HD. WITN just built this building. Those stations were old stations converted to HD.

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,598 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:10 PM

WRAL was the first station in the country to broadcast in HD back in 1996...  and they also built a new studio a few years ago...  so yay for WITN, but I'm not sure they did anything "first" here.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#5 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,882 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:51 AM

I've moved this to the Local Reception forum.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#6 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,582 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:21 AM

Still not sure what the big whoop is over people reading the news in 'HD".  Maybe some movies, travelogues and sports benefit from it, but a couple of talking heads reading the news?  Unless they bring back the Mary Hart-esque leg lights.  :righton:

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#7 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:00 PM

WRAL is in the same building they have always been in, the statment from WITN is that they were the 1st station in NC to build a entire brand new building, studio for HD . WRAL and others converted there old analog systems to HD. WITN left there old building and built a brand new facility. They were in there old building since 1955.

#8 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,468 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:42 PM

Build it, remodel it, what's the difference? It's HDTV, not brain surgery.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#9 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,598 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:47 PM

I'm not knocking WITN...  We used to be able to pick them up years ago here in Raleigh and I watched them quite a bit growing up...  that was when we had a good outside antenna that picked up a lot of stations outside of our area.

It just seems like an odd bragging point.  I mean, maybe they needed to build a new building because they had an old building that couldn't be upgraded to HD...  I gather WITN has been broadcasting in HD for quite a while now, right?  And surely has been doing their news in HD... so I'm not sure what making a fuss over building a new building for HD means at this point.  The end user isn't going to care as long as he gets HD on his TV.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...