Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Genie Upgrade want HR44, not HR 34

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   KennyTheBull

KennyTheBull

• Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationDetroit City

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:57 PM

I have a DTV tech coming out to my house on Saturday, and I want the HR44. Should I call ahead to tell the CSR that I want that model, or am I just going to get whatever model of Genie he has on the truck? Can I request a 44? Can I turn down a 34 if he tries to install the HR 34? If the installer has both models, does it matter to Him which one i want? I don't want to get old technology for this every two year upgrade... I want the latest out at that time. I have heard that some techs have the 44s in their trucks in the Detroit area, which is near me. What do I do?thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,520 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:01 PM

Technically speaking, you get whatever is on the installer's truck. But if you really want an HR44, you can reschedule the install untik your market gets the 44 . calling DirecTV wont do anything even if they say otherwise

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   NoDayWithou

NoDayWithou

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:43 PM

Peds48 is on point with that. you should get a call in the morning from your tech ask him about it. If he doesn't have one and you're that set on a 44, reschedule a few weeks out and try again. Obtion B is to check solidsignal.com (or another retailer) and order the model you want but you would still lease it and it would be the full $299 - if they even have it in stock.

- Jason

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,906 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:40 PM

It's in stock, but is $349 plus shipping at SS.

#5 OFFLINE   TDK1044

TDK1044

Godfather

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:08 AM

Unless there is some functionality with the HR44 that you need and that the HR34 doesn't have, I would certainly recommend the 34. As always with D*, every new device they put out there takes about nine months for the customers to complete the Beta testing  lol......that's why I waited until about 3 months ago to get my HR34. it works like a dream, and does everything that it's meant to do.

If history is a judge, I'd give the HR44 about another 3 or 4 months. Just my 2 cents.

• damondlt likes this

#6 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,002 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:23 PM

Everyone is so hyped over this HR44.  And for what?  if you never used the HR34 how can you compare. Sorry HR34 had and has so many unsolved issues, I love how people think the HR44 will be any different.

Everyone thought HR24 was the next best thing, and guess what I have a friend who has been 2 of them in a year already. 

And a bunch of threads on the HR24 with peoples issues.

Wait until all you guys start getting these things and the" MY HR44 won't power up" threads start and the last software update bricked my HR44.

DIRECTV :Since 5/13/2012
HR34-700 / HR24-500 / HR23-700 / H25-100 / D12-200 /   Roku HD

Living Room       Master bedroom     Bedroom  2         Bedroom 3    Office/Bedroom 4      bedroom 5
Slimline 5  / SWiM 16 with CCK / MRV / 15/2 Mbps Blue ridge cable Internet
Premier / MLB EI /  HD Extra /  Protection Plan

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,520 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 03:35 PM

Everyone is so hyped over this HR44. And for what? if you never used the HR34 how can you compare. Sorry HR34 had and has so many unsolved issues, I love how people think the HR44 will be any different.

Everyone thought HR24 was the next best thing, and guess what I have a friend who has been 2 of them in a year already.
And a bunch of threads on the HR24 with peoples issues.

Wait until all you guys start getting these things and the" MY HR44 won't power up" threads start and the last software update bricked my HR44.

+1 :righton:

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   LawHawk

LawHawk

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:59 AM

Well, I got a HR-44 in March and I'd say it is absolutely worth whatever you have to do to get it.  It is way better than HR-34.  The biggest difference is the speed - it is just way, way faster than the HR-34.  

Also, reliability.  damondlt says "Sorry HR34 had and has so many unsolved issues, I love how people think the HR44 will be any different."  My HR-34 was awful and had problem after problem.  I have had zero problems with the 44.  Every single time I have turned on the TV, it has worked with no issues.  The last receiver I could say that about was my very first DirecTV receiver, which was non-HD and non-DVR.

OF COURSE I am just one person and I'm a small sample size.  But you came here for personal experience, right?  My experience is that there is a major difference between the 34 and the 44.  Maybe when a million customers have 44s the boards here will be littered with problems just like the 34, but it hasn't been that way for me.

Your original question was on how to get one.  I apparently got one because I am in a test market (central Iowa).  I didn't demand it or even ask for it; when I had a problem with the picture on my 34 the guy just pulled a 44 out of the truck and installed it.  

#9 OFFLINE   taveanator

taveanator

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:02 PM

I have a DTV tech coming out to my house on Saturday, and I want the HR44. Should I call ahead to tell the CSR that I want that model, or am I just going to get whatever model of Genie he has on the truck? Can I request a 44? Can I turn down a 34 if he tries to install the HR 34? If the installer has both models, does it matter to Him which one i want? I don't want to get old technology for this every two year upgrade... I want the latest out at that time. I have heard that some techs have the 44s in their trucks in the Detroit area, which is near me. What do I do?thanks!

I created an HR44 location deployment thread that may help.

• coolhdtv likes this

#10 OFFLINE   KennyTheBull

KennyTheBull

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationDetroit City

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:14 PM

I got the HR-44 on Saturday, along with a new SWM dish. I have put it through paces, and it absolutely blows everything else away. Everything is super fast, and the clients are just as fast! Tried to trip up the ststem with multiple tasks and tons of recordings, but it just kept going and going. I have been with Directv for 20 years, and this is by far their finest equipment. If you can get the HR44... Run, don't walk to your phone and get that sweet machine ordered!

I'm in Detroit area, Multinand is contractor, and the 44 is all the Genies they got. No more 34's

#11 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,744 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:51 PM

I'd not turn down a '34 when upgrading from any DVR prior to the HR24. Yes, the '44 is a tad faster, but they'll both end up with the same software, so any old bugs worked out already on the '34 won't appear on either unit. To each his own. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#12 OFFLINE   DR2420

DR2420

• Registered
  • 83 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:12 PM

I got the HR-44 on Saturday, along with a new SWM dish. I have put it through paces, and it absolutely blows everything else away. Everything is super fast, and the clients are just as fast! Tried to trip up the ststem with multiple tasks and tons of recordings, but it just kept going and going. I have been with Directv for 20 years, and this is by far their finest equipment. If you can get the HR44... Run, don't walk to your phone and get that sweet machine ordered!

I'm in Detroit area, Multinand is contractor, and the 44 is all the Genies they got. No more 34's

I do agree. I had the 34 and was having several issues with freezing and different things, even with everything else replaced/new and yesterday they changed the equipment for me to the 44 and thus far, it's worked very smoothly and I definitely notice the difference in which the DVR's operate, the 44 is very quick. Not that the 34 was painfully slow, but the 44 is definitely the better unit. Now, there's people I'm sure who have the 34 and haven't experienced the issues that I have, but I have to say, I'm actually thankful it happened because I got the 44 out of the deal and it's a nicer unit. I'm happy. 

#13 OFFLINE   LawHawk

LawHawk

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:02 AM

Glad to hear you're having such a positive experience with it.  Come back to the thread in a few weeks and tell us if you've had any problems.  I really want to believe that this time it is different, this time we really do have a piece of equipment that has great features AND is reliable!

• damondlt likes this

#14 OFFLINE   Phil17108

Phil17108

Mentor

• Registered
  • 83 posts
  • LocationOrange County California

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:31 AM

I had a free upgrade, was expecting the 34 got 44 lost 21& 23 still have a 23 & 24, the 44 is fast and small, the next 2 channel tuner will be smaller yet, if they have one? Bet at some point in the future all that will be available will be something like 44 & clients.

#15 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:37 PM

I had a free upgrade, was expecting the 34 got 44 lost 21& 23 still have a 23 & 24, the 44 is fast and small, the next 2 channel tuner will be smaller yet, if they have one? Bet at some point in the future all that will be available will be something like 44 & clients.

The first half of what you wrote was a little hard to read.  

As far as the second half, I doubt they will switch their systems over to servers and clients only.  It's a good thought but too many drawbacks.  Not to mention, it's so nice to have at least one live tuner in each room.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#16 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,520 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:47 PM

This is just the beginning of the server client in DirecTV. Who knows what's to come, perhaps an 8 tuner Genie with 5 active streams. I do believe though that this is the future of DirecTV

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#17 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:49 PM

I think it's a viable option but I just can't see them going over to a system where one faulty peice of equipment knocks out your entire home.  Honestly though, it wouldn't surprise me.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#18 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:00 PM

Just to post some good experience with a 34...

We got ours last fall, before the 44 was even rumored. It has performed flawlessly. We have never missed a recording and the only time it has been restarted was when it got a software update. The one time I thought we were having a problem with playback on the 34, it turned out to actually be the HR24 we were using. Performance has been great...no slow downs and it is still about equal to our HR24s in speed.

So, I'd be happy to take a HR34 - I'm not a big fan of external power supplies (yet another box for which you need to find a place).
  • wingrider01 likes this
Dish Network Customer from 1998-2001
DirecTV Customer since October, 2001
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

#19 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,201 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:10 AM

I'm not a big fan of external power supplies (yet another box for which you need to find a place).

The external power brick is not as big or bad as anyone thought it would be, it's like charging a laptop computer but a tad bigger, now the PI that's in the same location is what gets in the way sometimes when moving stuff around.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 Deactivated
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#20 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,906 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:47 PM

The external power brick is not as big or bad as anyone thought it would be, it's like charging a laptop computer but a tad bigger, now the PI that's in the same location is what gets in the way sometimes when moving stuff around.

A at least it isn't like an Xbox 360 brick.

spam firewall