Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Native Output

native features updates

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wingman1659

wingman1659

• Registered
  • 5 posts
  • LocationLansing, MI

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:51 AM

I realize some of you could care less about the lack of native output on the Hopper DVR. This isn't for you. For those of us who would prefer a native option there is still hope.

Dish's official comment:
"As far as a pass through setting, we list the 1080, 720 and 480 options for the general consumer to make it easier for them because so many do not understand the native setting. However, this setting may come in future updates, but have not made any announcements on this. As Hopper goes into more homes with high-end installations then the need for the native setting option grows.”

So let's get this to happen! Even if it's in a sub menu or hidden to keep the convenience the way it is.
For those of you who might not know, if you use a new-ish dedicated receiver for surround sound your image processor in that is almost surely superior to what's in the hopper.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:13 AM

if you use a new-ish dedicated receiver for surround sound your image processor in that is almost surely superior to what's in the hopper.

Is there any scientific facts ? I wouldn't say so in such widely statement. Perhaps some hi-end AVR gear ?

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,568 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:18 PM

As many of DISH's HD channels aren't full HD, you're already getting a certain amount of conversion from the Hopper whether you know it or not. It is likely better to do it once with a device that understands its input than twice.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:43 PM

I hope you understand pitfalls to not write such sentences like above ? :thats:

If not, I would help you ... a little ... sat companies altering source stream beyond of your imagination and capabilities to make it nice by third parties... there are long enormous GOPs, interlaced sequence  changing on a fly or at commercial breaks, I'm not telling about regular wrong PTS/DTS time marks, etc, etc,etc ... Try to analyze the stream by some free tools and you'll see how many problem in it

Edited by P Smith, 06 June 2013 - 04:43 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,568 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:16 PM

Maybe that all means something in pidgin Elbonian, but it sounds like you're trying to pull the wool over somebody's eyes by typing a semi-random mish-mash of words and acronyms that sound official.

Please respond in American English or some much closer derivative.

• 3HaloODST likes this

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:41 PM

Never mind, elbonian used for TS, not for you :D

Edited by P Smith, 06 June 2013 - 10:42 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   wingman1659

wingman1659

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts
  • LocationLansing, MI

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:04 PM

Is there any scientific facts ? I wouldn't say so in such widely statement. Perhaps some hi-end AVR gear ?

since dish doesn't disclose the chip used for video output I can't tell you for sure. I know that my middle range Onkyo had a great chip for video. I'd go so far too say that if your receiver has analog conversion to HDMI it probably has a better chip than the joeys.

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:17 PM

we have the knowledge what chips ... it's Broadcom's ... see here, in many posts, exactly models for each dish model

#9 OFFLINE   wingman1659

wingman1659

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts
  • LocationLansing, MI

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:29 PM

http://hometheater.a...20-K-HQV-Tests/

a review that shows all the types of signals and resolutions that go into scaling or converting before it ever reaches your tv.
I have nor can't directly compare the video chips but broadcom is hardly known for quality video processing. If your receiver does happen to upconvert analog to HDMI the dedicated chip in the receiver is better than the hopper or the Joey.

Edited by wingman1659, 11 June 2013 - 06:30 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:56 PM

hardly known to millions of users (DTV, dish, etc) :D

I would propose to Mr.Silva to take some of current DVRs (HRxx and ViPxxx) and show us how well or bad the Broadcom's chips perform scaling, deinterlacing, etc.

#11 OFFLINE   wingman1659

wingman1659

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts
  • LocationLansing, MI

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:54 PM

I would love to see that test too.

As for the millions of users, yes exactly if the purpose was quality instead of cost I'd agree. But I'm sure it's made to be "good enough."

#12 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:18 AM

I realize some of you could care less about the lack of native output on the Hopper DVR. This isn't for you. For those of us who would prefer a native option there is still hope.

Dish's official comment:
"As far as a pass through setting, we list the 1080, 720 and 480 options for the general consumer to make it easier for them because so many do not understand the native setting. However, this setting may come in future updates, but have not made any announcements on this. As Hopper goes into more homes with high-end installations then the need for the native setting option grows.”

So let's get this to happen! Even if it's in a sub menu or hidden to keep the convenience the way it is.
For those of you who might not know, if you use a new-ish dedicated receiver for surround sound your image processor in that is almost surely superior to what's in the hopper.

Oh I don't know I think my local ABC channel looks better upconverted to 1920x1080i compared to 1280x720p.

Edited by Jhon69, 01 July 2013 - 09:19 AM.

#13 OFFLINE   wingman1659

wingman1659

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts
  • LocationLansing, MI

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:59 PM

What I really want this for is SD channel conversion. Conversion between 720p and 1080i shouldn't look much different unless you sit a few inches from the screen, or in extremely patterned scenes.

#14 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:39 PM

that graph for all number of lines and a distance/screen size been posted here a few time - take a look, at least it done in scientific manner, not based on one person's opinion ...

spam firewall