Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV On Demand Video and Audio Quality

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   vandergraff

vandergraff

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:23 PM

Long time DirecTV subscriber with 3 HR20-100's (I know but they have worked great since I got them when they first came out)

I am considering subscribing to HBO and using HBO On Demand from DirecTV (not HBO GO) to catch up and view Game of Thrones Season 3.

Is the DirecTV HBO On Demand Video / Audio Quality the same as HBO DirecTV live broadcast quality. I can see the Game Thrones Episodes as listed in HD - but it doesn't show if they are DD 5.1?

I watched Season 1 on Blu-Ray and Season 2 on DirecTV. Not surprisingly Blu-Ray was clearly superior (both for video and audio) - but Season 2 on DirecTV was also pretty good. If the On Demand quality (video and audio) matched the DirecTV live satellitte broadcast I will take this route rather than waiting until 2014 for the Blu-Ray version.

I have read that some of the DirecTV On Demand channels may be lower quality than others so my question is specific to HBO On Demand through DirecTV.

Apologies if covered elsewhere but I have tried searching but can't find the answer

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,620 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:48 PM

It depends on your internet connection what version you can get. if you have a fast enough connection, you can get the 1080i version which includes a DD5.1 track. the 720p IIRC also has a DD track.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:55 PM

From the different postings on this forum, it seems that the premium channels are prioritized when it comes to On Demand, though this is not official.  I've seen the same same picture and audio quality from the On Demand as the live feeds and HBO GO.  The only difference is if you have a slow internet connection, the HBO GO could drop the picture quality.  The On Demand works great with HBO.  When I use it, I can select a title to "record" and then go to my list and start it with no interruption/buffering issues.  Like peds said, this can depend on your internet though.  What kind of speeds do you currently have and from what company?

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#4 OFFLINE   vandergraff

vandergraff

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:19 PM

Thanks - yes I am planning to use On Demand (not HBO GO) and record to my DVR so it sounds like I will get similar 1080i picture and 5.1 audio quality as the live feed.

My internet connection is a solid 16 Mbps  (Powerboost peaks up to 24+ Mbps so most of the standard tests report high - but Shaperprobe shows a sustained rate of just above 17 Mbps) which should be fine - but as you say recording to the DVR should remove interruption/buffering issues.

#5 OFFLINE   Michael Hilley

Michael Hilley

Legend

• Registered
  • 186 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:19 AM

Can't speak for HBO OD since it's been a long time since I downloaded and watched anything on it.

But I just downloaded and watched "Orphan Black" on BBCA OD channel 1264, and the quality was very poor.

I have some local OTA sub-channels that list "HD", but in reality, they are more SD broadcast in 16:9.

This would be the quality that the BBCA OD is comparable to.

No, I didn't live stream the programs, which would have affected quality.

The programs were scheduled and downloaded overnight, and later played back.

Since I don't watch BBCA, and have not seen any of the Orphan Black episodes on channel 264, I don't have anything to compare their OD programs to.

Edited by Michael Hilley, 07 June 2013 - 11:20 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   vandergraff

vandergraff

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:33 AM

I watched "Orphan Black" recorded on my DVR from the live channel 264 feed and it looked good.

Was the On Demand version on channel 1264 listed as HD - I am guessing it was as it sounds like you got 16:9 picture.

I have notice that some On Demand shows are not available in HD - and then quality is definitely very poor.

#7 OFFLINE   Michael Hilley

Michael Hilley

Legend

• Registered
  • 186 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:18 PM

I watched "Orphan Black" recorded on my DVR from the live channel 264 feed and it looked good.

Was the On Demand version on channel 1264 listed as HD - I am guessing it was as it sounds like you got 16:9 picture.

I have notice that some On Demand shows are not available in HD - and then quality is definitely very poor.

You answered one of my questions... about the quality recorded from the 264 feed... looks like those were HD.

The OD 1264 was listed as HD, but as I said, the picture quality was anything but.

The recordings were 16:9, and some of the opening credits were top/bottom letterboxed, 21:9 or 21:9 ' ish.

As I mentioned about the subchannel OTA's that I get (CBS on -1, CW on -2), on HR20's and AM21's, the CW's are listed as HD in the guide, but clearly are not (native 480i), just broadcast as 16:9.

#8 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:22 PM

I checked on my HR34 and didn't see any Orphan Black DoD programs as being marked as being in HD.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

spam firewall