Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Doing Local Insertion into SWM system

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   PCTV

PCTV

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationBonita Springs, Florida

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:38 PM

I own and operate a local hospitality visitor channel in SW Florida that serves over 35 hotels in our area.  Doing a local insertion into older analog Direct TV systems is not a problem for us using a modulator and playback unit to reside on a vacant channel in the hotel cable system.  We are unable to do a local insertion into the newer SWM systems.  Bulk TV, the local installer, has been unhelpful and unresponsive in assisting us.  Can anyone out there explain how we can accomplish our local insertion into these systems?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,224 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:53 PM

I am assuming from your description each unit has a DirecTV receiver in the room connected to a HDTV.  If so there is no way I know of to insert a channel before the receiver. 

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,174 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:08 PM

If the distribution system is based on QAM, I don't think anything really changes (although contractual permissions to insert content may have changed).

As longrider points out, there's no getting in front of a DIRECTV set-top box. DIRECTV works with Freewheel to do inserts on Internet connected platforms.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,224 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:54 PM

Thinking about this, it could be a profitable idea for DirecTV. As part of the hotel package offer a module that could take a video input or several inputs and modulate them in a format that you could put it into a flexport on the SWM32. The receiver authorization for the hotel could then map those signals to open channels in the LiL area. This may be more difficult than it sounds but its just an idea.  You could also probably sell it to residential users who have security cameras, that way you dont have to go to a computer or switch TV inputs to view your cameras.

My Setup

#5 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,220 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:19 PM

Nah ...

There's no provision or method for local program insertion on SWiM based MFH-2 systems that i'm aware of.

The IP based MFH-3 systems have it, but not the MFH-2.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,856 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:45 PM

All I know is that companies like Anheuser-Busch, and some others have a private channel.

http://www.dbstalk.c...rk-channel-577/

I would assume there would be a hefty "fee" associated with doing something like this.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:57 PM

Private networks are different from local insertion, as I'm sure peds48 knows. 

If your SWM system does not use coax networking (as most commercial systems do not) it is possible to diplex in programming on broadcast frequencies and then break it back out with a splitter at the other end. Then you would just use the TV's antenna input to get that programming. 

The trick is getting that content on the broadcast frequencies. In the old days we would use a cheap RF modulator. Today, if you want HD programming, it's a little harder. QAM and ATSC modulators are very expensive and generally depend on encryption. 

As I said, if all you want is SD, it's not hard. Use a diplexer like an NAS STD-9501M (I will leave it to others to provide a link, or Google can be of help) or if you are using SWM8s, you can use the off-air port. Then put band stop filters (again, I will leave it to others to provide a link) at the connection points to every receiver.  Put a SWM splitter before each receiver and run one cable to the TV's off-air in. 

If you are using canned programming, you may want to look into upgrading to a DRE system which lets you do insertion of canned programming right into the guide. It does not let you insert live programming. 

There are other options but they get progressively more expensive. If you want to continue this conversation, I can probably help you more efficiently through private messaging and am happy to do so. 

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#8 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,220 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:35 PM

Private networks are different from local insertion, as I'm sure peds48 knows. 

If your SWM system does not use coax networking (as most commercial systems do not) it is possible to diplex in programming on broadcast frequencies and then break it back out with a splitter at the other end. Then you would just use the TV's antenna input to get that programming. 

The trick is getting that content on the broadcast frequencies. In the old days we would use a cheap RF modulator. Today, if you want HD programming, it's a little harder. QAM and ATSC modulators are very expensive and generally depend on encryption. 

As I said, if all you want is SD, it's not hard. Use a diplexer like an NAS STD-9501M (I will leave it to others to provide a link, or Google can be of help) or if you are using SWM8s, you can use the off-air port. Then put band stop filters (again, I will leave it to others to provide a link) at the connection points to every receiver.  Put a SWM splitter before each receiver and run one cable to the TV's off-air in. 

If you are using canned programming, you may want to look into upgrading to a DRE system which lets you do insertion of canned programming right into the guide. It does not let you insert live programming. 

There are other options but they get progressively more expensive. If you want to continue this conversation, I can probably help you more efficiently through private messaging and am happy to do so. 

Of course I thought the TS wanted something that the satellite receiver could tune to and possibly show up in the guide whichis why I stated it was not possible with a SWiM based MFH-2 system.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,856 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:23 AM

Of course I thought the TS wanted something that the satellite receiver could tune to and possibly show up in the guide whichis why I stated it was not possible with a SWiM based MFH-2 system.

My thinking as well......

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:07 AM

Just getting the 'general public' to use their input button on their own purchased equipment  and then mastering the mode settings on their clickers in their own homes can be quite the ordeal, having folks coming into a motel/hotel setting with a different brand TV and having them blip through the inputs and TV channels and satellite channels  would be quite the headache for the staff.

When (if?) we get to the point of $100 HD ATSC and/or QAM modulators, this gets real easy, but for a system with a D* (or E* receiver) in every suite, I'd hate to be the one managing such a facility. Or worse, the maintenance grunt tasked with stopping by rooms all night long to get TVs off the 24 hour static  channel.

#11 OFFLINE   thewiremasters

thewiremasters

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:32 AM

Does the hotel have a DRE system?

Local channel insertion is simple with a Managed DRE system

#12 OFFLINE   Floyd

Floyd

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:37 AM

Local Channel Insertion(LCI) is possible(up to 50 chs) on the new DRE-plus managed systems that use H-25 receivers in the guest rooms.

Extra rf/QAM modulated channels will not work as inputs to the H-25 receivers, but local content can be manipulated so as to be compatible with the format required by the Management Control Server(MCS), which inserts this data into the distribution scheme and it then shows up as a new channel.  The LCI channel can be defined for the MCS and will show up in the guide listings.

There are several requirements for the Local Channel data :

---Mpeg4 H.264 video

---AAC audio stream.  I think this conversion process is complicated and not widely used or easily available, but currently required.

---G.711/726 audio is not supported by DRE receivers

---all external devices(such as network cameras) must be multicast capable.

---All content is wrapped in RTP frames.

So now you know.  It's a quantum leap in complexity compared to the old way.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...