Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Replacement Hopper issue, tech support no help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   StevenA

StevenA

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:27 PM

Had a power outage and it messed up the mother-in-laws Hopper, (yeah, she's upset, lost all her recordings and such) anyways, they sent out a replacement and I installed it. But it wasn't working right, didn't have the start from scratch screen that they say it's supposed to have and the Joey see's the new hopper, but no tuners.So I call into tech support and basically unplug it and plug it back in and it's working now, but...

When you press the DVR button, nothing happens, if you press the guide button, nothing happens, if you press PIP it says this feature is not available. If you press the red button it shows tuner 1 & 2 being used by the hopper, but not as PIP.

If I link her Joey to her hopper, DVR does show up, but if you press the red button no tuners show up. If I link it to my hopper it works fine, I called tech support back and they said some of the buttons on the romote must be bad and they'll send out another one. Well, I really wanted to say something, but just hung up instead.

I called back into tech support again today, and they said there's something wrong with the cable, of which I find hard to believe, my proffesion is low volatage cabling, it just doesn't go bad.

My thinking is that maybe the node is messed up, but I haven't tried swapping outputs around on it yet.

Any ideas? Tech is comoing out Tuesday, would like to get the mother-in-law off my back before then.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 892 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:50 AM

Power outage, perhaps a surge. That could screw the pooch...or not.

Thank you and
Best of luck

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,499 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 08 June 2013 - 01:32 PM

If you had any kind of power-related surge or outage that fried a Hopper... I would suspect everything else in the chain too... that includes the node, cabling, and possibly even LNBs.  I wouldn't be surprised if you had other issues than just the fried Hopper.  The tech really should check everything to be sure.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#4 OFFLINE   Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 298 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:50 AM

I am more than happy to help you today, when you press a button on the remote will the SAT button light up? Would you please PM me with the phone number on the account to better help you?

Thanks

#5 OFFLINE   StevenA

StevenA

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:51 AM

Yes, the SAT button does light up, I also tried to access the guide through the menu interface, but unfortunatly I do not recall what the error message said.

I most likely will be out the rest of the day, if I'm back earlier I'll PM you.

Steven

#6 OFFLINE   StevenA

StevenA

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:41 AM

Well, we had another power interuption, and now the the DVR and guide work (even though I've power cycled it numerous times) (I think I should of cycled ours also), the Joey still can't see her Hopper. I wanted to power cycle her Hopper again and she got all huffy, so I left it alone.

Tech came out and cycled her Hopper and Joey and vola! it all works again. The Hopper also had the initial startup screen which never showed up before.

spam firewall