Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Directv and a 3 year contract

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hfa

hfa

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:55 PM

Got an email today stating that Directv would lock certain savings with a free genie upgrade and free nfl with a 3 year contract.Are companies and Directv trying to up the contract to 3 years? To me, 2 years is bad as I hate the contract game.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:03 PM

Read the details. "ALL DIRECTV OFFERS REQUIRE 24-MONTH AGREEMENT."  You get an extra $10 discount the third year but it does not come with a 3 year agreement.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#3 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:02 AM

I will never agree to a 3 year commitment without a Total Price LOCK !

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#4 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:28 PM

I will never agree to a 3 year commitment without a Total Price LOCK !

This. 3 years is absolutely nuts and something I would never, ever agree to unless I am locked into a price and am provided possible upgrades in 1-2 years.

#5 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:10 PM

Subscriber acquisition takes 2 years as to why the contract is 24mos. DirecTV simply does not do 3 year contracts. Read the offer details in full.

#6 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:11 PM

Did my two years once, I'm done with contracts. 

#7 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:46 PM

lol.  So full price for equipment from TV providers and cell phone companies?  Definitely worth it...

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#8 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:35 PM

lol.  So full price for equipment from TV providers and cell phone companies?  Definitely worth it...

Apparently, you haven't been following current trends.  NO CONTRACT cell phones are overtaking the 2 year plans.  One of these days the satellite TV providers are going to learn too.  Cable has.  Time-Warner tried a stupid "price lock guarantee" in my area which was really a 2 year contract in disguise but unlike DirecTV it did guarantee the same price for the term.  It is no longer offered.

You never know, one of these days the satellite providers might start selling their equipment again (at a reasonable price) to subscribers who have had it with these "lease agreements" and commitments.  That's the way it was when I got DirecTV and I'd welcome it's return.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#9 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,281 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:13 PM

The problem with eliminating commitments, at least for new customers, is that it would be very hard to sign up new customers if they are being charged a market price for installation.  Give a  free installation and you need to recover your costs. That said, I could see a sliding scale of commitments.   Realize that there is almost no cost in a receiver/DVR, the upfront lease payment covers most of the new cost and they get it back if you cancel. Now a new customer with a full install gets a 2 year commitment.  An upgrade to an existing account that requires a truck roll, 1 year commitment.  Upgrade that is just shipped to you, 6 month commitment.   At this point you could start working like the cell industry, pay full upfront price and get no commitment, get a reduced upfront price with a commitment. 

My Setup

#10 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:21 PM

The problem with eliminating commitments, at least for new customers, is that it would be very hard to sign up new customers if they are being charged a market price for installation.  Give a  free installation and you need to recover your costs. That said, I could see a sliding scale of commitments.   Realize that there is almost no cost in a receiver/DVR, the upfront lease payment covers most of the new cost and they get it back if you cancel. Now a new customer with a full install gets a 2 year commitment.  An upgrade to an existing account that requires a truck roll, 1 year commitment.  Upgrade that is just shipped to you, 6 month commitment.   At this point you could start working like the cell industry, pay full upfront price and get no commitment, get a reduced upfront price with a commitment. 

Exactly.  The cost has to be recovered and if there is no requirement on the customer's end, the company is not going to front the money.  If hardware/service costs money, someone has to pay for it.  "There's no such thing as a free lunch."

#11 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:50 AM

I have a receiver and when it breaks I'll get another one but I won't be signing up for two years. 

#12 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,288 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:28 AM

How will you manage that? 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#13 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,145 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:01 AM

How will you manage that? 

I'm sure it will be easy because a two-year contract is not required for equipment replacements for broken equipment.

SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#14 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:08 AM

Under contract or not, they replace broken equipment with the comparable model for at worst $20 S&H without the PP, should not extend commitment.  Sometimes mistakenly it gets extended when it shouldnt.  If you're not planning on changing providers, it really shouldn't matter but some people just can't handle being under contract for whatever reason.  If you choose to try to get an upgrade from an HR2x model to a Genie, that will require a new 2 year commitment.

#15 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:56 AM

I'm sure it will be easy because a two-year contract is not required for equipment replacements for broken equipment.

Bingo :-) 

#16 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:17 AM

Apparently, you haven't been following current trends.  NO CONTRACT cell phones are overtaking the 2 year plans.  One of these days the satellite TV providers are going to learn too.  Cable has.  Time-Warner tried a stupid "price lock guarantee" in my area which was really a 2 year contract in disguise but unlike DirecTV it did guarantee the same price for the term.  It is no longer offered.

You never know, one of these days the satellite providers might start selling their equipment again (at a reasonable price) to subscribers who have had it with these "lease agreements" and commitments.  That's the way it was when I got DirecTV and I'd welcome it's return.

I didn't consider the cost of an HR10-250 at about $1000 very reasonable back in the day but lots of people bought them.  Reasonable is subjective....what do you consider a reasonable price to be able to outright buy your own sat equipment?  Something tells me you don't consider the current prices that you can get owned equipment for reasonable.   IIRC, you stick with SD partially due to cost or something like that correct?

Edited by CCarncross, 12 June 2013 - 10:19 AM.

#17 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:37 PM

I have a receiver and when it breaks I'll get another one but I won't be signing up for two years. 

Yes, that is their policy.  Relevance to the conversation?

#18 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:04 PM

Yes, that is their policy.  Relevance to the conversation?

You asked I answered, seems relevant to me. 

#19 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:04 PM

You asked I answered, seems relevant to me. 

We were talking about getting products that come with an agreement and you mentioned a replacement receiver which does not.  Not sure where you see the relevance.

#20 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:40 PM

lol Have it your way..... 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...