Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Genie Installation

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   waxking1

waxking1

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 01:47 PM

I tried to get a Genie install today and the technician had problems.  We never could get a signat to the HR24 that was working before the swm16 install.  He told me that the distance between the SWM 16 and the multiswitch was too far.  Can someone tell me what the maximum distance is between the SWM16 and the multiswitch is.  I would guess we are going around 125' now.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,398 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 08 June 2013 - 01:52 PM

125 feet from dish to SWM16 is very reasonable.

what is exactly not working. what was the tech's excuse for this "not to work"

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   waxking1

waxking1

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 01:55 PM

Now 125' from dish to SWM but 125' from SWM to multiswitch.

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,398 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:00 PM

Now 125' from dish to SWM but 125' from SWM to multiswitch.

Exactly, that is what I said. 125 ft from dish to SWM16 (switch)

Edited by peds48, 08 June 2013 - 02:01 PM.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,325 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:03 PM

I tried to get a Genie install today and the technician had problems.  We never could get a signat to the HR24 that was working before the swm16 install.  He told me that the distance between the SWM 16 and the multiswitch was too far.  Can someone tell me what the maximum distance is between the SWM16 and the multiswitch is.  I would guess we are going around 125' now.

This is not your problem.

Its his job to make sure it works.

#6 OFFLINE   waxking1

waxking1

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:08 PM

Well, I wanted it done today but he just left.  He has the SWM16 installed near the dish outside.  He ran an additional cable from the SWM16 to the box where the multiswitch is inside my theater room.  The run is through my attic and the cable is probably 125'.  He did install a new LNB for the SWM16 but we never got a signal to the TV.  He said he didn't have time to finish and rescheduled me for next Saturday.  I was just wondering if this was really the problem. 

He also added another 8 port multiswitch next to the old one to give me enough for 16 tuners.

Edited by waxking1, 08 June 2013 - 02:14 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,398 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 03:47 PM

what you refer to a "switch" is actually a splitter. It will be a good idea for you to post all the facts (receiver model numbers, how many, and so on..) so we can provide accurate information.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   waxking1

waxking1

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:12 AM

Yes I misspoke, I meant splitter.  I have rescheduled the install for next Thursday and hopefully it will get installed and work this time.  I was just wondering if there is a certain maximum distance between the SWM16 and the splitter.  Right now my system consists of three HR22s and one HR24.  The genie will replace one of my HR22s.

#9 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,160 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:24 AM

I am sure you will get ti corrected Thursday, my suspicion is he overloaded one leg of the SWM.  Even though it is a SWM16 each output can only handle 8 tuners. As the genie has 5 tuners it can only share that leg with one DVR. The other two DVRs would need to be on the other leg. I personally would put the Genie by itself on one leg (no splitter needed) and put the 3 DVRs on the other leg with a 4 way (not 8 way) splitter Using a bigger splitter than needed reduces signal level unnecessarily.

My Setup

#10 OFFLINE   waxking1

waxking1

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:36 PM

Thanks longrider.  So the distance between the SWM16 and the splitter being 125 ft. should not be an issue?  I will make your suggestions to the next technician.

Here is a pic of the outdoor part of the install.  The tech put the old LNB back on so my TVs would work until they came back.  The original line to my splitter went through the stone.  He had to run a second line through the soffit vent.

DTVinstall003_zpsed5b551c.jpg

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,398 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:41 PM

Exactly, 125 ft from switch to splitter should be no problem

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,763 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:58 PM

Is it me or is there only 3 cables going into the SWIM 16 from the dish?

#13 OFFLINE   waxking1

waxking1

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 01:00 PM

Exactly, 125 ft from switch to splitter should be no problem

The tech thought it was a problem.  He did use one leg from the SWM16 to an 8 port splitter for my 3 DVRs and he had the second leg to another 8port splitter for the Genie.  Neither would give a signal.  Would a 4 port splitter make that much difference? 

When they come back I think they plan on moving the SWM16 close to my splitter thinking this will correct the problem.

#14 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,317 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 01:06 PM

That's not the issue. I run 100' from dish to swim 16. Then 125 on both swim outs to splitters. This has never been an issue. He didn't get the tuners balanced right.

Are all the hrs in the same small closet? Did he run all of them off the one splitter in that closet and only have one cable going into the house from the swim 16? If so he doesn't know how swim16 works.

#15 OFFLINE   waxking1

waxking1

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 01:07 PM

I believe he had 4 cables when the other LNB was connected.  He had to bypass the SWM16 with one cable back to my original splitter so my TVs will work until they get back.

#16 OFFLINE   waxking1

waxking1

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 01:09 PM

That's not the issue. I run 100' from dish to swim 16. Then 125 on both swim outs to splitters. This has never been an issue. He didn't get the tuners balanced right.

Are all the hrs in the same small closet? Did he run all of them off the one splitter in that closet and only have one cable going into the house from the swim 16? If so he doesn't know how swim16 works.

He had two cables going in the house from the SWM16.  One to each 8 port splitter.

Edited by waxking1, 09 June 2013 - 01:10 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,160 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 09 June 2013 - 01:12 PM

You are correct but there is this: The tech put the old LNB back on so my TVs would work until they came back  You will notice i cable splits away from the other 3, goes to a ground block and then goes in the house through the brick.  Also up at the dish it looks like 3 cables are not hooked to anything

My Setup

#18 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,160 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 09 June 2013 - 01:17 PM

I see my last post was a little late...

To the OP, what is he using for power? From your description the tuner load is balanced correctly but I wonder why he is using a splitter on the Genie line? 1 cable can go directly to the SWM16.

My Setup

#19 OFFLINE   waxking1

waxking1

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 01:31 PM

I

I see my last post was a little late...

To the OP, what is he using for power? From your description the tuner load is balanced correctly but I wonder why he is using a splitter on the Genie line? 1 cable can go directly to the SWM16.

He installed a larger power supply, it says swm8/swm16 only.  He initially thought the power supply might be the problem.  Here is a picture of the two 8 port splitters with one leg going to each.  The one with the output wires has an extra wire connected as I only have 4 DVRs, one line to each.  I don't think the extra line is connected to anything on the other end.  I had to use the battery to help hold them in place when I took the pic so it is tilted a bit.  All the non connected line go to other locations in the house I'm not using(we put cables to every room).

005_zpsc0962974.jpg

#20 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,398 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 01:43 PM

While this is not (may not) be your problem, is poor installation method. You should only be connecting the cables being used. an 8 way splitter has a ~14db loss. which is as "loss" that you are unnecessary losing for no good reason.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...