Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Genie Installation

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,235 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 09 June 2013 - 02:19 PM

I hope for your sake you get a different installer Thursday. Things I see from your photos: As both peds48 and I have stated, using an 8 way splitter when it is not needed is poor practice. While I doubt it is causing your problem it does introduce loss that is not needed. Second, I can see when your house was built they used crimp connectors. He just connected those wires, I would have replaced the connectors with good compression connectors.  Third, the work is rather sloppy but I can let that slide as he is not finished.

Also, since when do you "not have time" to finish?  Installing is not a time clock job where you drop what you are doing when the bell rings. If he was going to come back first thing the next morning I could probably accept it but putting you off for almost a week does not cut it.

My Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,893 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 02:56 PM

Yeah he should use the smallest splitters possible. It looks to me like you have a lot or runs to several rooms maybe he had the wrong cable even. Did he check and trace the cables. He could have even trying to use the cable for the 2nd lnb line in the old system instead of the first. Also make sure he connects the power supply to the right leg of the splitter if he's putting it after the splitter.

#23 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,946 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:00 PM

[quote name="inkahauts" post="3144988" timestamp="1370811373". Also make sure he connects the power supply to the right leg of the splitter if he's putting it after the splitter.[/quote]

Not sure what this is supposed to mean. :confuse:

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Edited by peds48, 09 June 2013 - 03:00 PM.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#24 OFFLINE   waxking1

waxking1

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:00 PM

I thought the work looked sloppy also.  I was going to make them clean up the wiring a bit when they come back.  I didn't really pay too much attention until after he left.  I know he was unhappy as soon as he got here and didn't want to do the install.  He said DirectTV was only paying him $30 for a box swap and his cable was going to cost him more than that.  While I sympathize with technicians being underpaid, I have no control over what he gets paid for the job.  

He called in and told them he didn't have enough cable to do the job.  I know he had at least a full 500' roll and another roll at least half full.  He also told them that it was a 2 man job and he couldn't do it by himself.  I don't think DirectTV was too sympathetic and he tried to finish the job but could never get a signal after installing a new LNB and SWM16.  He said he didn't have time to finish as he had another job scheduled.  He called DirectTV and rescheduled my appointment.  The first available time they had was next Thursday.  I told them that I thought they should come back Monday, I went through three people at DirecTV and the best they could do was Thursday.

#25 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,946 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:01 PM

. Also make sure he connects the power supply to the right leg of the splitter if he's putting it after the splitter.

Not sure what this is supposed to mean...

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#26 OFFLINE   waxking1

waxking1

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:07 PM

Yeah he should use the smallest splitters possible. It looks to me like you have a lot or runs to several rooms maybe he had the wrong cable even. Did he check and trace the cables. He could have even trying to use the cable for the 2nd lnb line in the old system instead of the first. Also make sure he connects the power supply to the right leg of the splitter if he's putting it after the splitter.

He was using the original cable that was working before installing the SWM16.  He ran an additional cable from the SWM16 to a second splitter which was going to be used for the Genie.  Since he could never get a signal to my HR24, he never tried hooking up the Genie.  The power supply is right before my HR24 and is working fine with just the single splitter and original LNB.

I don't really know which leg of the splitter it is connected.

#27 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,946 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:09 PM

so the location where Genie is supposed to go, you have a receiver there that is working now?

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#28 OFFLINE   waxking1

waxking1

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:37 PM

so the location where Genie is supposed to go, you have a receiver there that is working now?

Yes, but right now it is using the original splitter, LNB, and bypassing the SWM16.

#29 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:36 PM

Not sure what this is supposed to mean...

I assume he is saying that he needs to make sure the power inserter is hooked into the coax line going to the power passing port on the 8 way splitter (the top left port if I remember correctly).

The installer also needs to make sure that splitter is then hooked up to the correct port on the SWM16 in order for it to power it (the SWM1/PWR port).  I'm guessing this is where the issue lies, he was probably hooking up the power inserter to the SWM2 port, so the SWM16 wasn't getting power and therefore nothing worked.

As far as using the 8 way splitters goes I agree it is best to use the smallest one possible.  However, around here all the techs seem to insist on only using 8 way splitters for everything so they don't have to switch splitters out when they install additional recievers etc.  Also, for some reason a lot of them seem to think they have to use an 8 way splitter in order for all 8 tuners to work, which we all (hopefully) know is wrong.

Edited by Beerstalker, 12 June 2013 - 12:38 PM.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#30 OFFLINE   dmricke

dmricke

DBSTalk Club Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 182 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:17 PM

I would think that two 8 port splitters is splitting the SWM-16 output excessivly.

HR-2x only need one line for two tuners, the Genie needs one line for five tuners, and Hx receivers do need one line per tuner so the only way you would need all 16 lines with the current setup is if you were feeding 16 Hx receivers.

The extra loss associated with splitting the signal so many times MIGHT be part of the problem.

I would go with the minimum number of splits to drive the boxes that you have.

I do see a large number of cables in your distribution box and would suggest only hooking up the ones that actually will have a box connected unless you regularly move a receiver from room to room.

Just my $.02

#31 OFFLINE   waxking1

waxking1

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:48 PM

Thanks to everyone for the replies and help.  The DirecTV Tech just left.  It did take a bit to figure out the problem.  Turned out to be the dish power supply.  It was too far from the SWM16.  He ran a direct cable from the SWM16 to the closest place inside to plug in the power supply and all was well.  Again, thanks for all the advice. 

#32 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,946 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:44 PM

Awesome. Thanks for the update. Glad all is well now.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...