Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Programming RC71 remote to control TV (in IR mode)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   am7crew

am7crew

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:46 PM

I purchased the RC71 off ebay because I really like the smaller style of it. Anyways it arrived today and works fine on my C31 client for guide, channel changing etc. however I have hit a road block. I'm trying to get it to control my tv (Vizio) however going into Settings/Program Remote gives me the code however shows the steps for the old remote (slide the top to TV mode). Can anyone help me out? Ive tried holding select and mute until it blinks twice then entering the 10 codes it suggested one at a time with no luck. Called DTV they werent able to help either.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,280 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:46 AM

The only codes for Vizio on the RC71 are 11758, 12757, 10885. If these codes do not work, then there is not much you can do since you will need the HR44

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   am7crew

am7crew

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:49 PM

Thanks, yeah non of those codes worked. I just ended up ordering a C41 to use instead (I have a HR34 and it says they are compatible).

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,280 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:57 PM

Thanks, yeah non of those codes worked. I just ended up ordering a C41 to use instead (I have a HR34 and it says they are compatible).

Yes they are

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   mrjacobrussell

mrjacobrussell

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:50 AM

The only codes for Vizio on the RC71 are 11758, 12757, 10885. If these codes do not work, then there is not much you can do since you will need the HR44

I am not sure if it is availible on the rc71 but try 10178

HR44 wired with Ethernet to the router -  
C41 (Attached to a cckw using a dedicated router) -
HR24 -
RVU SamsungTV
Rackable NM46X, 2 x Dual-Core AMD Opteron 2.4ghz 16GB Ram Media server/servio/subsonic

- You Stay Classy San Deigo. :goodjob:

#6 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,821 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:40 AM

I ordered one of the RC71 remotes from Ebay also. It is supposed to be in the mail today. I have a Vizio hooked up to an HR24. If I get that to work I will post back with the steps and numbers that I did.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#7 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,288 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:14 AM

(The RC 71 won't work with the HR24 in RF)

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#8 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,821 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:18 AM

Yes, I had read that about the remote with the different RF frequency or whatever it is.

I never use RF so it is not a problem for me.

I bought it just to play with after making my dumb statement earlier about moving the selector to the TV spot.

Glad I did buy one because my friend just switched from Dish to DTV and got an HR44 and a C41 and I am her first call for any help with her computer or now this.

She has already called me 8 times in 2 days. LOL

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#9 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,288 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:26 AM

Yes, Jimmie, I knew you know that, but posted for others.

........... BTW are you sure your '44 owning neighbor wants you only for TV??

:hurah:

#10 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,821 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:36 PM

Yes, Jimmie, I knew you know that, but posted for others.

........... BTW are you sure your '44 owning neighbor wants you only for TV??

:hurah:

Yes, for sure. We worked together for years and she is happily married.

I will be 70 in August and too old for that stuff.

#11 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,821 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:41 PM

I purchased the RC71 off ebay because I really like the smaller style of it. Anyways it arrived today and works fine on my C31 client for guide, channel changing etc. however I have hit a road block. I'm trying to get it to control my tv (Vizio) however going into Settings/Program Remote gives me the code however shows the steps for the old remote (slide the top to TV mode). Can anyone help me out? Ive tried holding select and mute until it blinks twice then entering the 10 codes it suggested one at a time with no luck. Called DTV they werent able to help either.

OK, my remote came in. I tried the codes listed previously by others here and the one that  worked is 12757 for muting and changing the volume and turning the Vizio to OFF.

NONE of them would turn it back on.

To program in the number just ignore the move the selector to TV part and program in the number like it says. After I put in the number I pressed the OFF button instead of the volume, that works also for checking the code number.

I tried this on my Samsung but it has 2 pages of codes to find and so far I have not found one to work on it.

If you are buying this to use on the older receivers, DON'T.        I definitely do not like it !

Edited by jimmie57, 15 July 2013 - 05:11 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:03 AM

Good news and bad news here.

First of all as many have surmised, the RC71 seems not to support some of the codes that the RC65 does. That's the bad news.

The good news is that the RC71 has within it the capability to accept new codes, to be reprogrammed automatically while in the field. We haven't seen how this will work yet, and who knows if DIRECTV will ever do it, but at least the capability is there.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#13 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,821 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:11 AM

It does also have a very powerful IR signal compared to the 65 and older models.

I am glad I bought it. My friend ( 8 miles away ) called me twice last night and I used it so that I would be doing what I was telling her to do using the same keys.

Edited by jimmie57, 16 July 2013 - 09:11 AM.

#14 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,288 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:15 AM

Wow! An eight mile signal... that's impressive!!

:rolling:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...