Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Billing weirdness and another strange technical glitch

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mystic7

mystic7

Icon

• Banned User
  • 632 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:14 AM

I'll try to keep this as brief as possible.

1. Why does my bill change from month to month? I was quoted $46.72 per month, with taxes, but this month's bill is $50.71. This happens a lot (with Time Warner too) and it's annoying! I have auto pay and last month they deducted $1.50 LESS than they were supposed to.

2. I've noticed lately that I will go to a channel, not a premium channel or sports package channel, and I'll get a message along the lines of "To add this channel to your package, call Directv..." blah blah. This will even happen on a channel I'm watching then switch away from for a few seconds. It happens on locals and on national channels. I have to change channels, then go back again to fix it.

Finally, I mentioned before that a Directv customer rep removed the Protection Plan, as I requested, and he mentioned that he removed the Whole Home service as well, since I had the Genie and didn't need it. Now it's been added back because supposedly I DO need Whole Home Service for the Genie to work. Some professional opinions, please.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,334 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:19 AM

Perhaps this month bill is higher because they added the WHDVR service back again and since the bill is higher taxes increases as well. WHDVR fee while not required for the Genie is part of the "structured" called advanced receiver service for new customers
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 945 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:10 PM

I'll try to keep this as brief as possible.

1. Why does my bill change from month to month? I was quoted $46.72 per month, with taxes, but this month's bill is $50.71. This happens a lot (with Time Warner too) and it's annoying! I have auto pay and last month they deducted $1.50 LESS than they were supposed to.

2. I've noticed lately that I will go to a channel, not a premium channel or sports package channel, and I'll get a message along the lines of "To add this channel to your package, call Directv..." blah blah. This will even happen on a channel I'm watching then switch away from for a few seconds. It happens on locals and on national channels. I have to change channels, then go back again to fix it.

Finally, I mentioned before that a Directv customer rep removed the Protection Plan, as I requested, and he mentioned that he removed the Whole Home service as well, since I had the Genie and didn't need it. Now it's been added back because supposedly I DO need Whole Home Service for the Genie to work. Some professional opinions, please.

The Whole Home charge with a Genie + clients *is* required (if you mentioned it being removed I assume you pay $10 for HD, $10 for DVR, and $3 for Whole Home). It's also required if you don't have any clients but do have other HD or HD-DVR receivers on your account. That agent was not supposed to remove it, and it (almost certainly) got added back on when someone ran an account audit. The only time Whole Home would not be required is if a Genie was your only receiver, or you had only a Genie + non Whole-Home capable receivers (like you had a Genie and several D12s or R16s for example). [I'm not giving my opinion on this, just facts]

Getting 721 on a channel you do subscribe to when channeling up and then back down could potentially be a cabling or signal issue, or other numerous things.

As for the bill changing, as peds48 said that's probably due to partial charges and credits and what not. What do you see on your bills if you actually compare them?

DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#4 OFFLINE   mystic7

mystic7

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 632 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 02:59 PM

Well, you guys pretty much summed it up. I wasn't getting 721, I was getting a black screen with blue lettering, nicely formatted, not the usual gray box in the lower right of the screen. As for whole home service, I found it odd that the Genie and clients worked fine during the period when I supposedly didn't have whole home service. Also, I did get two bills for $46.72 (this $50 bill is my third), and that first bill was BEFORE the CSR removed the charge for Whole Home Service. The mystery deepens...

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,334 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:11 PM

did you compared both bills to see where the other fees are coming from?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,152 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:03 PM

Well, you guys pretty much summed it up. I wasn't getting 721, I was getting a black screen with blue lettering, nicely formatted, not the usual gray box in the lower right of the screen.

They changed the layout of the unsubscribed message in a recent software update to give more details.

We'd need more details like the specific channels you were watching though. They recently added some tax channels that are specific to one state and everyone else gets a not available in your area message so it's possible that you just passed by those as you were changing channels.

Edited by KyL416, 09 June 2013 - 04:04 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:29 PM

Probably just my natural paranoia, but I think there has been quite an uptick in the 'weirdness' quotient at DirecTV this year.

Just speculating but maybe they are having some growing pains, if the 'weirdness' really is increasing. 

First time ever, just 2 days ago, had DirecTV FedEx the wrong model receiver to a customer, then it was almost an hour on the phone to straighten out the mess. I've had several other 'anomalies' this year too.

During call to fix wrong receiver problem, I could not get it through to the CSR that I was NOT an official DirecTV exclusive installer.  Man, just cuz I know the lingo doesn't mean I'm on the payroll.  {shudder}

:eek2:

#8 OFFLINE   mystic7

mystic7

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 632 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:31 AM

They changed the layout of the unsubscribed message in a recent software update to give more details.

We'd need more details like the specific channels you were watching though. They recently added some tax channels that are specific to one state and everyone else gets a not available in your area message so it's possible that you just passed by those as you were changing channels.

I may be stupid but I'm not an idiot. I didn't scan past the channel with the message, I was watching the channel, I hit the previous button to go back to another channel, then when I hit it again to go back to the original channel I got that message. I scanned up one, then back down to the channel and it was fine. This has happened on local channels, on MLB Network, and SyFy Channel.

As for comparing bills the extra charge seems to be the 3 bucks for Whole Home, but as I said, my first two bills were $46.72 as promised when I signed up. One bill was before the CSR removed Whole Home, and one was after. So how could they now add the charge when it was supposed to be included in the package when I first ordered Directv? I agree, gov. In fact, everything seems to be getting weirder these days.

#9 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:54 PM

I may be stupid but I'm not an idiot. I didn't scan past the channel with the message, I was watching the channel, I hit the previous button to go back to another channel, then when I hit it again to go back to the original channel I got that message. I scanned up one, then back down to the channel and it was fine. This has happened on local channels, on MLB Network, and SyFy Channel.

As for comparing bills the extra charge seems to be the 3 bucks for Whole Home, but as I said, my first two bills were $46.72 as promised when I signed up. One bill was before the CSR removed Whole Home, and one was after. So how could they now add the charge when it was supposed to be included in the package when I first ordered Directv? I agree, gov. In fact, everything seems to be getting weirder these days.

Do you get a D* logo when you get the message?  If not, there may be a cable issue between the receiver and the TV or a faulty output on the receiver itself.

The difference in the bills sounds like partial charges from when the whole home started charging again.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#10 OFFLINE   mystic7

mystic7

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 632 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:48 AM

I don't remember if there was a logo. If it happens again I'll look for it. As for the bill difference, my bill didn't go down during the period where they removed whole home. It's really no big deal unless this turns into another one of those "every month a different amount owed" thing.

#11 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:17 PM

I don't remember if there was a logo. If it happens again I'll look for it. As for the bill difference, my bill didn't go down during the period where they removed whole home. It's really no big deal unless this turns into another one of those "every month a different amount owed" thing.

You shouldn't see it change every month unless you order PPV's or make changes to the account.  If you do see the difference, look at the bottom portion of the 2 bills, in the "Adjustments and Credits" portion to see if any partial charges are there.

The reason I mention the D* logo is based on whether or not you are getting the error from the receiver or from the TV itself.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#12 OFFLINE   mystic7

mystic7

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 632 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:14 AM

You shouldn't see it change every month unless you order PPV's or make changes to the account.  If you do see the difference, look at the bottom portion of the 2 bills, in the "Adjustments and Credits" portion to see if any partial charges are there.

The reason I mention the D* logo is based on whether or not you are getting the error from the receiver or from the TV itself.

No, it's definitely the receiver. My tv wouldn't tell me to contact Directv. It's obviously a message from Directv. And, no, I don't order PPV. It's definitely some screwup on Directv's part. They knew from the beginning they were giving me the Genie, and the ability to record and watch recorded shows in any room, 3 rooms, and quoted a price of $46.72 which was what my bill was the first 3 months (except the first month when they gave me an extra $25 credit for an installation screwup).

#13 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:00 PM

No, it's definitely the receiver. My tv wouldn't tell me to contact Directv. It's obviously a message from Directv. And, no, I don't order PPV. It's definitely some screwup on Directv's part. They knew from the beginning they were giving me the Genie, and the ability to record and watch recorded shows in any room, 3 rooms, and quoted a price of $46.72 which was what my bill was the first 3 months (except the first month when they gave me an extra $25 credit for an installation screwup).

This is still somewhat vague.  What is the difference in the two bills on the bottom portion(adjustments and credits)?

#14 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,334 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:31 PM

You shouldn't see it change every month unless you order PPV's or make changes to the account. If you do see the difference, look at the bottom portion of the 2 bills, in the "Adjustments and Credits" portion to see if any partial charges are there.

DirecTV has change the 721 OSD to a nice screen that lets you know you can text, call or use the web to subscribe to the channel

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#15 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:47 PM

DirecTV has change the 721 OSD to a nice screen that lets you know you can text, call or use the web to subscribe to the channel

I'll have to check that out when I get home.

#16 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:37 PM

Yup thats right its been updated for a couple of days now at that. Much more informative too. Doubt they told the call center agents this yet. They'll end up finding out from their customers which is sad.

Edited by Volatility, 13 June 2013 - 03:44 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,334 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:48 PM

yep, this is waaaaaaay better then the 721 OSD

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#18 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:51 PM

The Whole Home charge with a Genie + clients *is* required (if you mentioned it being removed I assume you pay $10 for HD, $10 for DVR, and $3 for Whole Home). It's also required if you don't have any clients but do have other HD or HD-DVR receivers on your account. That agent was not supposed to remove it, and it (almost certainly) got added back on when someone ran an account audit. The only time Whole Home would not be required is if a Genie was your only receiver, or you had only a Genie + non Whole-Home capable receivers (like you had a Genie and several D12s or R16s for example). [I'm not giving my opinion on this, just facts]

Getting 721 on a channel you do subscribe to when channeling up and then back down could potentially be a cabling or signal issue, or other numerous things.

As for the bill changing, as peds48 said that's probably due to partial charges and credits and what not. What do you see on your bills if you actually compare them?

I do not believe this to be true.  I have 15 tuners (1 HR34 and 5 HD DVR's) on my account and I do not have whole home.  I dont want it either.  I use the HR34 to control 1 TV and am not interested in whole home.

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#19 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:02 PM

I'll have to check that out when I get home.

this is how it looks basically

j08gno.jpg

Also if you are getting this message and you DO get this channel, no need to call in :-)

Go to directv.com then go to my account then go to equipment then refresh services. Easy as pie.

Edited by Volatility, 13 June 2013 - 04:33 PM.

#20 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:02 PM

I do not believe this to be true.  I have 15 tuners (1 HR34 and 5 HD DVR's) on my account and I do not have whole home.  I dont want it either.  I use the HR34 to control 1 TV and am not interested in whole home.

The system will automatically add it in this case, even if it's removed.  There is only one way to keep the system from doing it but I'll have to say good luck on talking to anyone who knows how.

• JBv likes this

Protected By... spam firewall...And...