Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Add Genie to existing Whole Home??

Genie Whole Home DVR RVU

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Corginut

Corginut

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:37 AM

I need some help figuring out if I should upgrade a DVR to a Genie in my system as it is currently set up.

I have an existing Whole Home system with four DVRs and two standard receivers (3 HR20s, 1 HR 24, two H24s).  I am doing some remodeling and need to have a second DTV line brought into one room that is changing from a standard receiver to a DVR.  I have DECA boxes on all my equipment.  I am also getting a Samsung tv that is RVU capable.  My question is about whether to upgrade to a Genie as the DVR in one room rather than the standard DVR.  Reviews seem mixed, I don't want a huge hassle with Genie mini's needing re-setting, etc.  Can I use the Genie as just part of my existing system and just keep all the wiring I have?  I assume my switchbox is 16, since I have 10 lines coming in now.

Thanks for your help.  I always like getting new toys but hate the hassles when things don't work well together.  I don't want to ask DTV this question because I assume they will just sell me as much as they can.   

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,200 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:55 AM

You hardest part is figure out how your SWiM-16 is currently divided in order to add 5-tuners to one side of it.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,306 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:58 AM

I am doing some remodeling and need to have a second DTV line brought into one room that is changing from a standard receiver to a DVR.

Since you have a SWM system, all receivers including DVRs run of a single coax cable.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,306 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:00 PM

Can I use the Genie as just part of my existing system and just keep all the wiring I have? .

Sure, The Genie would be like a "super" DVR in this case. plus if (when) you get the RVU TV, it'll be ready to be paired with the Genie

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,211 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 02:43 PM

Get a genie. Not even a debate to me.

Why do you think you need a new line to where you already have a receiver? It be very odd if you did. Are all your runs home runs to your swim16 multi switch?

If you have a better description if your system it might be even easier o make suggestions. Ex. Room x has one tv and needs one DVr or receiver. And wherever your main room is that's where I'd put the genie.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Genie, Whole Home DVR, RVU

Protected By... spam firewall...And...