Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Home come this is working

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,721 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:18 PM

So I went to an upgrade to find the splitter picture below being used as a barrel. I ask the customer how long was they spitter there, they said for a long time. They installed it to extend the cable because they moved the furniture around. My next question obviously was if they had any issues, to my surprised, they said no.

So I ask myself, how come the receiver was working with this POS splitter. This particular customer had an 18x20 dish with 4 SD receivers. no switch or anything. coax from the dish to the output of this splitter, the input was connected to the D12 satellite input. yes after all, it was installed backwards!!!!!!!

ImageUploadedByDBSTalk1370826820.452228.jpg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:17 PM

Just guessing, but maybe the LNB 13/18VDC fried it to a 'shorted' condition?  (if it was not already a DC passing splitter)

Bandwidth for SD is less than an HD setup, and if the cable run to the dish wasn't too long, the extra attenuation through the splitter didn't affect the D12 too much.

Ask customer if that unit was worse about rain fade than the rest of their receivers.

Also, forwards or backwards wouldn't have made much difference to the loss though the splitter.  It's also possible the customers never did a thorough look through all the channels that receiver was picking up, there might have been some blocks of channels not making it through the obstacle course, but if they never watched them they wouldn't have missed them.

I saw a homemade splitter  several years ago on an NTSC system, they were near the transmitter, so the (my guess) extra 20dB loss didn't matter to their TVs.

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 10,721 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:27 PM

This is the inside of this sucker. I was under the impression that signal traveled on the dielectric, if so, there is none there....lol

ImageUploadedByDBSTalk1370831179.435826.jpg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,404 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:54 PM

When I was troubleshooting some issues I found that 3 of the 4 splitters splitting my SL5 coaxes were ordinary cable splitters that said "900 MHz" on them. They didn't look as rough as this, but they certainly weren't what you were supposed to use. Nevertheless the splitters functioned perfectly.

I have a feeling there's no difference between many cable and satellite splitter lines, other than replacing the "900 MHz" with "2150 MHz" or "1 GHz" with "3 GHz", and of course charging more for it! With splitters there may be some difference in some cases, or at least better QC testing. That may justify paying extra, moreso than crap like cables "sweep tested" to 3GHz or barrel connectors with blue inserts :)

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 10,721 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:56 AM

But at least our splitters have some kind of circuit board in them
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   bigglebowski

bigglebowski

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:08 AM

coax from the dish to the output of this splitter, the input was connected to the D12 satellite input. yes after all, it was installed backwards!!!!!!!

With splitters input and output generally dont have a direction in relation to (input to output) or (output to input) particularly when its just one input and one output like your scenario. Going from output to output would be problematic as these connections are the most isolated from each other, the better quality the device the more isolation. When a splitter is used as a splitter you would go input to output. But if you were using it as a combiner (assuming you are not using conflicting frequencies) it would go output to input.

#7 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:50 AM

Also in a related matter that could be the cause of this; 

While I still don't really understand it myself, on another thread (don't recall which at the moment) a legacy voltage/tone multiswitch was found to generate an odd or even transponder set on a specific output without a 13/18 DC control voltage/tone applied to it from a receiver.

The way it was explained in the other thread is that if a given output port on a multiswitch is terminated, by say a non-power passive splitter or some other, yet with no input control voltage/tone then the control voltage/tones on other switch inputs can actually cause a given transponder set to appear on the output of an unused but terminated port.

I always thought with no control voltage/tone input there can be no output on legacy multiswitches regardless of any termination, but apparently not.

Go figure ...        

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

Protected By... spam firewall...And...