Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Ice Road Truckers - Season Seven

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,822 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:12 PM

Anyone still watching this series? 

"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 607 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:27 PM

Someone must be, I bailed after season 1 when they kept showing fake CG trucks falling through ice and pretending like someone might die after every commercial break.  I guess they added some eye candy in the last few years.  Wonder what they pay to be on the show?

#3 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,694 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:29 PM

Nope. Stopped after about season 3. How many times can they drive over the same icy roads?

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,297 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:56 PM

Actually the early season truck going through the ice was a practical effect ... a model they filmed.

The drama gets old ... I can't believe that they are airing a season 7. What more is there to say about the topic? Personally I'd like to see more of Discovery's Storm Chasers - but that too got old and was not as "fun" when one realizes that the killer storms they are tracking actually kill people. They played up the same "rough and ready cowboy" mentality as they have on Ice Road (and the spinoffs) on Storm Chasers. And one can see that on a dozen other "rough job" reality shows (Deadliest Catch, Axe Men and several others).

Another year of Ice Road ... what more can they do? Then again - how many years did COPS run with practically the same show every week?
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,115 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:50 AM

I wasn't aware they were doing a season 7 until I saw this thread and noticed a new episode in the playlist (I still have a season pass set-up).  For the most part I stopped watching the show on a continual basis about 2 or 3 years ago. Since then I tend to watch until the first commercial break and decide from there if the episode is worth watching or not. 

from the first few minutes of what I saw this morning (I do plan to finish the episode), this season looks somewhat interesting but only time will tell.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#6 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,969 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:32 AM

I have it set to record so we will see.  Looks like Hugh is back in Alaska and I have to see how he and Darrell will get along.  I wonder if they will have any newbie washouts this year?

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#7 OFFLINE   RASCAL01

RASCAL01

Godfather

• Registered
  • 293 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:49 PM

I will watch it tonight.

RASCAL01
DISH 622, Hopper, Hopper2, Joey
TOSHIBA REGZA 55 LED/LCD 24O HZ
SONY AV 5.1 SOUROUND SOUND
SONY 3D BLUE RAY PLAYER

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,297 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:50 AM

I have it set to record so we will see.  Looks like Hugh is back in Alaska and I have to see how he and Darrell will get along.  I wonder if they will have any newbie washouts this year?

Manitoba isn't Alaska. :)

Well I made it to the first commercial break. Not liking the "vs" aspect. But I suppose they need some hook.
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#9 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,969 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:01 AM

Manitoba isn't Alaska. :)

Well I made it to the first commercial break. Not liking the "vs" aspect. But I suppose they need some hook.

Is he not back in Alaska.  I would swear the promo made it sound like he was back in Alaska.  Otherwise, he was already in Canada, why would be be back there?

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#10 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Registered
  • 808 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:00 AM

For those who haven’t watched the soap opera that is now called Ice Road Truckers, let me see if I can get you caught up.

A few years ago, the show split and had one set of guys on the back roads in Canada and the other set on the Dalton in Alaska.  Hugh, Rick and Alex were the Canada drivers and a whole cast of others rotated in and out of Alaska with a couple of semi-regular drivers (Lisa and Jack).  With only one episode shown, it looks like this year is all in Canada and they are setting it up as a grudge match between two trucking companies.

The back story.  Polar Industries is the company Hugh and Rick drove for last year and I think the previous year when Hugh was booted from the Dalton; not sure who Alex was with.  Rick did his normal thing and got booted from Polar mid-season or possibly at the end of the previous season.  Hugh had a falling out with the head of Polar industries over money and now he and a former Polar Industries person have formed a company called VP trucking or something like that.  The premise is that Hugh and the new guy are going to try to take down Polar and put them out of business.  To compete against Hugh’s new company, Polar has brought in Alex, Lisa and Darrel to drive for Polar.

Throw in your typical “Lisa is a girl who can't drive and shouldn't be out here” along with the faux back and forth between Hugh and Alex and Hugh and Darrell.  Then add semi’s jack knifing around icy corners along with drivers bouncing out of their seats from driving on what looks like a motor cross track covered in snow and you are now up to speed.

In a nutshell, that’s about it.

Thanks,
Rich

HR44-500 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR24-100 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR23-700 - HDMI to Insignia 42" Plasma
HR22-100 - HDMI to LG 32" LCD
HR21-700 - WD 1T Green Power drive - HDMI to Toshiba 65HM167 65" rear projection

R22-200 - Component to Insignia 42" Plasma
R15 - svideo to Toshiba 32" tube tv

#11 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,297 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:26 AM

Not a bad summary.

The first year of IRT was Yellowknife ... with the road operators and trucking firm that allowed the project to be filmed regretting their decision. I suppose they were looking for more of a documentary feel than the "dash for the cash" reality show. Season two went to the North West Territories of Canada. Season three and four were on the Dalton. Season five was split between the Dalton and Manitoba. Season Six had a three way split, adding the Northwest Territories.

And this year (so far) it is all Manitoba.

spam firewall