Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Moving With No DTV Option?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Trainerman

Trainerman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:12 PM

Quick question for those in the know.  What if you move and your new landlord refuses to sign a release and/or you don't have a line of sight at the new place.  Does DTV still make you honor your contract or do you have to pay the etf to get out of it? 

Thanks for your time.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,653 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:54 AM

If no line of sight, you would be released. I don't think a landlord can just deny it for any reason, but I'm no expert in OTARD. It may take two checks though, depending on the reason for no line of sight.

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,129 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:54 AM

You can have the tech close the WO as NLOS either way. A generous tip might help.
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,653 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:03 AM

Do they require a second opinion? When I first subscribed, I was told nlos but that triggered a need for a second opinion that came with a different answer. Of course this is more for a tree than something like an apartment on the north side of the building

#5 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:46 PM

We use No Landlord Permission because it dosn't require a second opinion. That wont work on a movers if the customer dosn't want to pay the ETF, it has to be No Line of Site. At least thats been my experience.

Second opinions are kind of a curious thing. A supervisor is supposed to do the honors but...mine just asks me what the customer wants. I tell him I used my DNA and Dish Pointer App and they are convinced. He does the second opinion from where ever. If Peds48 calls then he is likely to show up himself or send another tech out. The same day. Work orders can't stay open or be rescheduled.

We service an AF Base that is kind of strict, current policy states the dish has to be pole mounted and can't break the front plane of the quarters. I went out for an ODU Relocate on a new customer it was the second one, the first one hadn't been properly notated with a second opinion. The Dish was in front of the plane of the quarters by five feet. There was No Line of Site to the 103 behind the plane. It shouldn't have been installed. The customer didn't pay the ETF.
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#6 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:02 PM

The landlord can not tell you that you can not have sattelite television just because, only state where you can or can not mount the dish. More info at www.directv.com/fcc If the installer determines there is no line of sight and closes the work order out with NLOS, the ecf would be waived.

#7 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:32 PM

Keep in mind, if the technician finds line of sight but the landlord will not allow him to install it there, you can still be charged for the agreement.  NLOS basically means there is no way to get line of sight at that location.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#8 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,278 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:53 PM

Landlords have more authority than an HOA.

So if your 'final' issue is the landlord refusing to sign (which isn't always a requirement), I suggest you read the FCC's OTARD and see what does and what doesn't apply in your situation. 

#9 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,026 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:44 AM

The landlord can not tell you that you can not have sattelite television just because, only state where you can or can not mount the dish. More info at www.directv.com/fcc If the installer determines there is no line of sight and closes the work order out with NLOS, the ecf would be waived.

Wanna Bet. You would be surprised. 

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#10 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,026 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:50 AM

Landlords have more authority than an HOA.

Yes , I've already been to court from a tenant putting a Wildblue dish on my metal roof.  Lets just say the judge told him flatout its not his property, he needs written permission to alter my property.   He tried the same old bit that I can't stop him from choosing a provider.  Boy was he wrong!

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

#11 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:36 AM

Yes , I've already been to court from a tenant putting a Wildblue dish on my metal roof. Lets just say the judge told him flatout its not his property, he needs written permission to alter my property. He tried the same old bit that I can't stop him from choosing a provider. Boy was he wrong!

That is where it draws the line. He installed a dish on your metal roof, your property. Of course they would need your permission, that was silly of them. If they installed it like say on a tripod on their porche if they had one without damaging your property then he may have had a case. May have had ;)

Edited by Volatility, 11 June 2013 - 08:36 AM.

#12 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:38 AM

Wanna Bet. You would be surprised. 

Maybe I read it different than you did but I believe that Volatility was agreeing with you...He said the landlord can tell you where you can and where you can't mount the dish...which is 100% correct.  There are only a few places that you could mount a dish in most locations that would not be common areas in most apt or duplex situations.

#13 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,026 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:01 AM

That is where it draws the line. He installed a dish on your metal roof, your property. Of course they would need your permission, that was silly of them. If they installed it like say on a tripod on their porche if they had one without damaging your property then he may have had a case. May have had ;)

Its not even so much that they needed a tripod, All they would have had to do was ask me , and I would have let them mount it in a location that we all could live with. Not my $30,000 metal roof.

The only reason I commented was just to make sure people understand that the landlord can prevent you from installing a dish when it comes to destruction or alteration of property.

Tripod away, just don't bolt it down to my deck.

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

spam firewall