Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Folders - When will be able to organize recordings into folders?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   LawHawk

LawHawk

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:41 AM

Is there a reason why we don't have folders on DirecTV?  Is it just me, or has DirecTV completely overlooked this critical element of good user interface far too long?  I would love to be able to sort programs I record into Kids, Movies, etc.?

I'm guessing they think we don't want it, because surely it would be easier to implement than other features they've added.  Am I the only one who wants folders?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,925 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:34 AM

I'd like to see arbitrary named folders, and also a special feature of folder support for households with several viewers that watch the same shows:

The ability to place a given recording into several folders simultaneously.  That way, each viewer could have their own folder, and they could add programs to it as they desired.  When they were done viewing it, their delete command would only delete from their folder.  The last user to delete it from "their" folder would be prompted with additional options like:  "Delete from folder" (which would leave the recording in the "Root" folder) or "Delete from DVR".

I think this is a logical option for a "Home Media Center" like the Genies.

• JBv likes this

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#3 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 897 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:55 AM

I would love to see folders or tagging, or something like user folders. With four TVs, two HR24s and an HR34 it is getting increasingly difficult to manage the 2TB of storage spread out across the home. We only have two users in our home. If I watch something I would like the ability to delete it from where I can see it's playlist, but still leave it where the other user in the house can see it. I can't imagine how trying it would be with four people in a house on one Genie+3 Clients.

DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#4 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,925 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:05 AM

Try 4 people, 4 HR2x DVRs (3 with 1TB drives), 1 Genie and 7 viewing locations. :)

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#5 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,664 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:09 AM

Just curious. Does anyone do that? It would be interesting to see how it works. I haven't seen a DVR that does folders. Does Tivo do it now?

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#6 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:17 AM

Does anyone offer this feature now?  Does Tivo offer this feature now? 

#7 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 897 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:42 AM

I know Dish offers custom folders on the 922 and Hopper but I don't know how well they work.

DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#8 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,664 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:19 PM

I know Dish offers custom folders on the 922 and Hopper but I don't know how well they work.

thanks.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#9 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,110 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:33 PM

Is there a reason why we don't have folders on DirecTV?  Is it just me, or has DirecTV completely overlooked this critical element of good user interface far too long?  I would love to be able to sort programs I record into Kids, Movies, etc.?

I'm guessing they think we don't want it, because surely it would be easier to implement than other features they've added.  Am I the only one who wants folders?

It been well ask here, but as you well soon be told by someone here, we only represent only a small portion of DirecTV customer base and therefore don't figure into their bottom line.

Unlike the butterfly in North Africa that is supposed to be able to start a hurricane, our wants have little effect on DirecTV.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#10 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,835 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:16 PM

Well replaytv had it years ago.

#11 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 590 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:26 AM

It been well ask here, but as you well soon be told by someone here, we only represent only a small portion of DirecTV customer base and therefore don't figure into their bottom line.

Unlike the butterfly in North Africa that is supposed to be able to start a hurricane, our wants have little effect on DirecTV.

HUH???

#12 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:32 AM

I knew that was coming.....if a modern HD version of replaytv were released it would be very popular, maybe even more popular than the craptastic Tivo....

#13 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,041 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:07 AM

And doesn't DirecTV own the remains of ReplayTV?

I think there are lots of features we should have that could be easily implemented but are not for whatever reason (Think easy access to the TODO List), yet we gets lots of random features that IMHO few people use, but they sound good on commericals.

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#14 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:07 AM

I'd like to see folders come to DirecTV DVRs but I'd also just like them to leave the firmware alone.... :grin:

#15 OFFLINE   LawHawk

LawHawk

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:46 AM

And doesn't DirecTV own the remains of ReplayTV?

I think there are lots of features we should have that could be easily implemented but are not for whatever reason (Think easy access to the TODO List), yet we gets lots of random features that IMHO few people use, but they sound good on commericals.

Seriously.  Give me the choice between folders and the new "voice search" on the iPhone app and I'll take folders all day long.  And I bet the cost of developing and implementing folders would be about 10% of what they spent on the voice search.

#16 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,835 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:16 PM

There's so many things DIRECTV could do IMHO that would allow you to easily par down and sort and search through a playlist. I sometimes wonder if some people don't record as much as they could because of how difficult it is to navigate the playlist and par it down when multiple family members are recording several things.

#17 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,901 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:26 PM

They could integrate plush metro like graphics with a quick smooth scrolling & screen transitions, including a dashboard view, send to tv, and other Comcast X2 like features see link for screen shots and examples:

http://corporate.com.../introducing-x2

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#18 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,156 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:33 PM

I would be happy if the list was in alphabetical order rather than ordered by the date on which it was recorded.  I really have no need for folders.

#19 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:35 PM

They could integrate plush metro like graphics with a quick smooth scrolling & screen transitions, including a dashboard view, send to tv, and other Comcast X2 like features see link for screen shots and examples:

http://corporate.com.../introducing-x2

Sure they could if the the plush metro like graphics werent the biggest pile of crap on the planet ruining the latest version of Windows....why would I want the same graphics to screw up my DVR?  fleckrj, you cam change your sort order to be alphabetical...

Edited by CCarncross, 11 June 2013 - 01:35 PM.

#20 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,664 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:40 PM

Seriously.  Give me the choice between folders and the new "voice search" on the iPhone app and I'll take folders all day long.  And I bet the cost of developing and implementing folders would be about 10% of what they spent on the voice search.

I kind of laughed at the voice search, too. Thought it was a gimmick. Then I tried it and thought "nice gimmick." Now I find myself using it more than the key in search. It surprised me. Could I live without it, sure. But it actually works. (Although it had a very tough time finding the Artie Lange Show in a noisy car environment.)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...