Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Folders - When will be able to organize recordings into folders?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:47 PM

I would be happy if the list was in alphabetical order rather than ordered by the date on which it was recorded.  I really have no need for folders.

You can sort alphabetically now, A-Z or Z-A.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,734 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:50 PM

Sure they could if the the plush metro like graphics werent the biggest pile of crap on the planet ruining the latest version of Windows....why would I want the same graphics to screw up my DVR?  fleckrj, you cam change your sort order to be alphabetical...

I don't like metro on a desktop, particularly a dual screen workstation designed for multitasking.  However it works better designed in the "10 inch ui" tablet touch form or the "10 foot ui" leanback (I can read and navigate from my sofa) design perspective.

More so the sense of context it conveys when smooth scrolling, navigating into and out of screens.  Through graphic motion and animation, the system creates a sense of context and depth, which completes the experience.

Applying this to folders, selecting a folder and seeing the contents "slide out" from underneath it (similar to an iphone / ipad like screen animation) would convey a sense of belonging... ie) these items came from ... descended out of this folder.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#23 OFFLINE   chevyguy559

chevyguy559

Fresno State Bulldog!

• Registered
  • 706 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:36 PM

I think it would just be nice to be able to select which DVR's list to display, not just Local or All. My son's DVR is constantly recording his shows so they are always at the top....it would be nice to unselect his DVR from the lists in our bedroom and my office but leave them in the living room, his playroom and his bedroom. 

DirecTV Subscriber Since 11/2008
Choice Ultimate - HD Extra - RZC
(2) HR22-100
(1) HR22-100 (Owned)
(1) HR21-100 (Owned)

#24 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,969 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:42 PM

I think it would just be nice to be able to select which DVR's list to display, not just Local or All. My son's DVR is constantly recording his shows so they are always at the top....it would be nice to unselect his DVR from the lists in our bedroom and my office but leave them in the living room, his playroom and his bedroom. 

Been asking for this since day one. :(

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#25 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:55 PM

HUH???

http://www.amazon.co...ds=chaos theory

My introduction to Chaos Theory and to Edward Lorenz who discover the Butterfly Effect.

#26 OFFLINE   upsss

upsss

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:25 AM

Just curious. Does anyone do that? It would be interesting to see how it works. I haven't seen a DVR that does folders. Does Tivo do it now?

Dish can do it on their VIP series, I am not sure about their Hopper.  You can create as many folders as you wish and you can name them whatever you want.  Once you record something you can move the recording to any of the folders you want.  This is one of the features I am missing the most since I switched from Dish to Directv.

#27 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,760 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:50 PM

Dish can do it on their VIP series, I am not sure about their Hopper.  You can create as many folders as you wish and you can name them whatever you want.  Once you record something you can move the recording to any of the folders you want.  This is one of the features I am missing the most since I switched from Dish to Directv.

Surprise Dish doesn't point that out in their ads then.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#28 OFFLINE   upsss

upsss

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:54 PM

This isn't a new feature for Dish, it has been around for many years.  I didn't have the Hopper when I left Dish but I am almost sure that it has this feature as well.  I still cannot understand why Directv doesn’t have this feature and they make you scroll through all your recordings to find something.

#29 OFFLINE   pdxBeav

pdxBeav

Godfather

• Registered
  • 390 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:27 AM

A bit off topic, but when sorting alphabetically why don't they ignore "The" in "The ABC Show"? Is there a way to ignore first words such as "The", "A", etc? This is pretty basic so it might be a setting that I missed.

#30 OFFLINE   inhd40

inhd40

Mentor

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:02 AM

I can see it now:  Advanced Sorting Fee $5.99, with a 2.00 credit for 3 months for new customers.

#31 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:50 AM

You can sort alphabetically now, A-Z or Z-A.

Would really like to be able to sort my recordings in any order. It can be done in the series manager.

Edited by ep1974, 13 June 2013 - 11:12 AM.

#32 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,286 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:48 PM

Would really like to be able to sort my recordings in any order. It can be done in the series manager.

You mean you want to move shows up and down in your list? To be specific, that is not "sorting." That is ordering. Just making it clear because if you ask for sorting, people are going to think "alphabetical" or "date" or "viewed status" when they hear sorting.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#33 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:06 PM

You mean you want to move shows up and down in your list? To be specific, that is not "sorting." That is ordering. Just making it clear because if you ask for sorting, people are going to think "alphabetical" or "date" or "viewed status" when they hear sorting.

Sorry, I meant sorting as in the series manager. Then you could place any recording in any order. You could group your common recordings together such as movies or sports. To me, it would be easier to find. What do you think?

#34 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:10 PM

A bit off topic, but when sorting alphabetically why don't they ignore "The" in "The ABC Show"? Is there a way to ignore first words such as "The", "A", etc? This is pretty basic so it might be a setting that I missed.

They never have ignored "The" even after we've been requesting that for years now.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#35 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:11 PM

Sorry, I meant sorting as in the series manager. Then you could place any recording in any order. You could group your common recordings together such as movies or sports. To me, it would be easier to find. What do you think?

Like he said though, that's not sorting, that's ordering.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#36 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:18 PM

Like he said though, that's not sorting, that's ordering.

I stand corrected.....Ordering.

#37 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,789 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:40 PM

Well we could have ordering of a sort if they'd let us create folders. I see no point in it for an entire list, alphabetical and newest (or their reverses) should be plenty if we'd also have folders and proper filtering capabilities.

#38 OFFLINE   pdxBeav

pdxBeav

Godfather

• Registered
  • 390 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:33 PM

They never have ignored "The" even after we've been requesting that for years now.

Three years?? Wow. Sometimes you have to wonder if they even use their own products because there's really no other explanation for a basic thing like this.

#39 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:10 AM

Three years?? Wow. Sometimes you have to wonder if they even use their own products because there's really no other explanation for a basic thing like this.

Far more than just 3 years, more like 7.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#40 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,286 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:15 AM

I guess I would use it to put some important stuff on the top but I don't usually have much on my dvr at any time so I don't have trouble keeping track.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

spam firewall