Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Need Help & Info

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   spummerr

spummerr

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:33 AM

New Dish Net Install & Service---

I want to install a second HD Dish.  A Dish 1000 I was told would be best for the Non dvr HD receiver.

Been shopping & I was then told I need to find out if I need a Eastern or Western Arc Dish?? I'm not even sure what that is.

I'm in Mpls Mn 55346   Thank You

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:53 AM

If it is a non-HD receiver (dvr would not matter for the receiver) a WA dish would be what you would be looking for in fact a dish500 would work since you would not need 129 (used for HD) only 110 and 119. EA is for HD receivers only so these would not work.

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,701 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:58 PM

I'd go for a DISH 500 if you're looking at SD only. I'm convinced that it has the same or better gain than the 1000.2.

I'd give serious consideration to going to an HD DVR instead.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   spummerr

spummerr

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:36 PM

I wasn't clear. I'll be getting HD receivers, just not the dvr option.

#5 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 340 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:26 PM

What receiver do you have 211 and 222 are the only HD receivers that do not have a built in hard drive.
To add additional receivers at your existing residence you don't need to add another dish you would probably just need a switch. Tell us what you do have and what you want to do and we can help you easier than trying to guess what you need.

#6 OFFLINE   spummerr

spummerr

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:08 PM

I'm not a Dish customer yet, I want to add a second Dish at another location with hd service-- when I get the service. That's why I need the " what Arc" information of the dish.

I'll be buying the second Dish from a sattellite store

#7 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:03 AM

If you are going to use the receivers at two different location while only have one account is against Dish's rules. Your service can be cancelled by Dish if they find out.

#8 OFFLINE   spummerr

spummerr

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:39 AM

It's a part time home, Dish said it was fine

#9 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:10 PM

If that is the case, you would only need the second dish, It is fairly easy to move receivers between the two locations. This would save you the additional receiver fee on a 211 or 222.

#10 OFFLINE   spummerr

spummerr

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:33 PM

Can anyone tell me if I need a Western Arc Or Eastern Arc Dish for hd receivers????

Edited by spummerr, 12 June 2013 - 01:34 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:12 PM

Yes.

Dish has HD on both arcs.

You need to find out what locals are available for the second install location and then which satellite they come from, that will tell you whether EA or WA is advisable.

If the second home is close enough to your first one, you may get both on the same satellite. Dish distributes local signals on spotbeams, like laser dots on the ground, each a 150 to 200 mile ellipse, if you're in that ellipse you can easily receive that signal, outside of the spotbeam, you get nothing, but you are probably in another spotbeam.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#12 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,743 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:29 AM

It's a part time home, Dish said it was fine

DISH allows customers to "snowbird" and move their service between two homes.
When you leave one home for the other one address becomes inactive and the other address becomes active.
You get the locals that are valid for the address where you are receiving service.

The idea of moving one of your receivers to another property to watch the service and leaving other activated receivers behind is a violation of their terms of service. One MUST notify DISH each and every time the physical address where service is being received changes. And one cannot have active receivers in both locations at the same time.

DISH accounts are for ONE address at a time - with DISH notified for each move.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...