Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

This could be cool!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   directv newb

directv newb

Mentor

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:23 PM

This could be cool!

http://news.yahoo.co...-154109733.html

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:38 PM

Yes, and that is a screen shot of Cox Trio oddly under the headline regarding Comcast's new X2 platform.

What I like about Cox Trio as pictured in your link and also Comcast X1 ( click here ) and X2 ( click here) is the smoothness between screens (very apple like) and the amount of information shown on the screen at one time.  Even Comcast's On Screen Guide 2.0 ( click here ) have the ability to show much more information at once.  More channels by more times would be a great option for the DirecTV grid.  Not saying everyone should default to a massive amount of information, but to have a seperate view for those who want it, it would be nice.

I've always wanted a better mini-guide as well.  The one line blue button mini-guide just doesn't cut it.  There's times when I want to see what's coming on but I don't want to push the video into a small box in the corner.  I'll use the mini-guide to quickly browse.  To have an option to expand that to 2, 3, or even maybe 4 rows would be nice.

The smoother Microsoft Metro fonts showcased in the Comcast X2 dashboard are easier on the eyes as well.  The fonts used in headings are Segoe UI Light, Segoe UI Semilight, SegoeUI, Segoe UI Semibold and Segoe UI Bold.  Then in the body for reading other font choices would be Cambria or Calibri.

But really what brings the whole system together is that sense of context when moving through the interface via transitions and translucency effects.  Jonny Ive at Apple says it well "These planes combined with new approaches to animation and motion create a sense of depth and vitality,"

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#3 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:09 AM

Watch Brian Robers CEO of Comcast demo the X2 platform here:

http://corporate.com...ynote-from-ncta

FF to around the 14 minute mark.  Its really impressive and I wish DirecTV would implement a system that runs this smooth and feature filled.

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#4 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,197 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:19 AM

To bad that comcasts muilt room box / outlet fees are high and they are lacking lot's of HD channels that directv has. As well it being still MPEG 2.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#5 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:41 AM

Well these new set top boxes the X1, Xi3 and everything new is IPTV ready.  So if they go IPTV, chances are its h.264 and IP is unlimited bandwidth.  No longer would they be regulated to a fixed number of channels.  It would be possible to carry every single channel in the world that they could get retransmission rights for.

But for now, they have a decent selection of HD, but the issue is that the hardware is utter crap.  Deploy X2 enabled equipment and that one shortfall (IMO) is no longer a problem.  If Comcast was available to me (it's not) and this X2 platform was available... it would be see ya later DirecTV.  Sorry to say but how you find content and interface with the service is a big factor for me.  How can you use it if its hard to use / slow / sloppy or why spend so much money when its not fun to use?  X2 looks fun to use and the graphics are just outstanding.  It has a modern level fluid feel along with 50% reduction in energy usage and 1/3rd the size set top box.  The Xi3 is finally using energy efficient and powerful ARM based CPU's.  Finally breaking away from the Broadcom MIPS based MVPD stronghold.

Here is the Youtube Keynote from Brian Roberts from this years NCTA 2013 Cable Show.  Its impressive and I can only hope DirecTV learns from this.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=snjNomkyoaE

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,746 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:44 AM

I hope DirecTV doesn't do this, or at least allows users to opt out and stick with local storage. While I know they probably could take things away from us on our drives, it may be more likely on the cloud. That's why I never buy digital streamed goods like Amazon video, they've taken them away before.

#7 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:55 AM

Well not so much the cloud thing, although that would give you access to recordings on any device with an Internet connection... It's more so the elegance, design and speed of the X2 platform demonstrated. Now granted some of this is due to the ARM based SoC in the Xi3 set top shown, but DirectTV should consider this move to ARM. 1. It's more energy efficient. 2. It's more powerful (at minimum 3 times more powerful). DirecTV's design is nice, but in operation it's slow and clunky. To speed it up and add context in navigation flow, like seen in X2 (and heck like seen in any modern UI since OSX), would be my wish. Perhaps DirecTV could toy with the idea of an in home cloud. A headless 4TB media gateway with 8 tuners handling all the legwork, while ARM based set tops placed at every TV communicate and collaborate using DECA. A genie on steroids if you will. The home server would contain GenieGo as well as potentially link up to DirecTV to authorize playback of DVR material on smartphones and tablets via streaming? An all in one box with expandability.

Edited by cypherx, 12 June 2013 - 11:58 AM.

---
HR24-200
H24-200

spam firewall