Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

I'm getting repeated fraud calls from a company who claims to be Dishnetwork

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   unr1

unr1

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:22 PM

Today I finally decided to do something about it.

The number came from 1-800-830-9729

I've seen it from different numbers too.

The representative claimed to give me a 6 month pay 6 month free deal.

He said his name was Harry Jackson

He said his rep ID number was 7R1

He knew my exact bill total (after taxes) to the cent!

I just got off the phone with dish to complain. They literally told me to file a police report and they can't do anything about it.

Maybe I should chage my number on the dish account.

Edited by unr1, 11 June 2013 - 02:23 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:11 PM

We have a 'twerp' named Brandon going door to door in my area.  He will switch you to Dish if you're on Direct, and he'll put you on Direct if you're on Dish.

His crew isn't real sharp about install quality, and they seem to prefer older clients, and then won't spend any time showing them how their new remote works.

Sad to say, but the industry is acquiring some pretty scuzzy operators.

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,714 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:32 PM

IF it is an authorized Dish retailer/reseller making those calls, then I think Dish would want to get involved to stop that...

IF, however, it is a straight-up scammer not affiliated with Dish...  then you probably would have to report it to the police as Dish wouldn't have any leverage over an outright scammer.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,934 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:32 AM

DISH may want to get involved to see what the scam is. A few years ago they were battling professional hackers and thieves who would either sell FTA equipment hacked to get a DISH signal (until the hack fails) or receivers on a stacked account (one account with multiple receivers in different locations). A non-savvy buyer may not know what their receiver should look like or that their receivers are part of a larger account that DISH will eventually shut down.

Common scams are to get the money and run ... so the seller wants a lot of cash up front for setting up the customer and then they disappear - leaving DISH to explain the con.

The common rule of thumb applies ... if it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

I don't know why DISH would not want to know more about a particular scammer ... perhaps they are overwhelmed by the number of scammers out there. It is a situation of buyer beware. If you can't find the deal you're being offered at the official DISH website ( http://dish.com/ ) be VERY wary. The better the deal the more likely it is that the deal is a fraud.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 830 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:13 AM

If you haven't, you should try to get up the food chain at DISH.  At least a supervisor.  Maybe an email to the CEO's office or ask to speak to the general counsels office.  Someone there cares about this even if a CSR doesn't.  You just have to find them.  I'd file the police report but understand if the calls come from outside the area the local police won't be able to do much.  Also, the fact that they have yout account information is of great concern.  Could be someone inside the company is working with them.

#6 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,748 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:12 PM

This is nothing new, there's always scammers calling pretending to be legitimate companies, Not just Dish side but from every tv provider offering you "sweet deals" just so you can take the bait, It's the bait and switch method, The rule of thumb is if it sounds too good to be true it probably is. If you're not sure is legitimate then call Dish directly and ask about the call you received.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#7 OFFLINE   unr1

unr1

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:25 PM

Got another call today.

From 1-800-790-2641

So they keep changing their number.

Very frustarting.

#8 OFFLINE   unr1

unr1

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:27 PM

Funny, because when I google that number people are complaining that they were calling from AAA asking to renew membership.

Maybe Obama can find out who is behind this. You know, since the NSA knows about everyones calls already.

#9 OFFLINE   unr1

unr1

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:30 PM

lol, sweet. Tried calling dish about it and right after the automated message said "Please hold for the next customer service representitive" I got a dial tone.

I'm not gonna even bother calling back considering last time they told me they can't do **** and to call the cops.

#10 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 918 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:49 PM

If I was you I would go ahead and call the President of the United States of America because like you said they already know all your calls anyway.

#11 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,714 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:51 PM

Let's not take a legitimate problem down the political rabbit hole.  Nothing about this topic warrants political discussion, so please stay on topic.

Thanks!

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#12 OFFLINE   kc1ih

kc1ih

Legend

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:51 PM

Quite possibly they are spoofing the number you see on caller ID.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...