Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR24-100 Volume Problems

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   HolmesCo

HolmesCo

Icon

• Registered
  • 730 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:58 PM

I did some searching on this, but seem to only find discussion from 2007 or so.

I have incredibly low volume on this receiver, hard to isolate exactly. But many if not all shows, need to be turned up quite a bit, some all the way to 100 on my Samsung 56" HD.  I have a direct antenna input (not OTA) and it never needs to be above about 25. I have a PS3 also connected to TV and its volume is fine.

Is this a known thing? As I said, I have found here, and googling, similar problems going back years, on various models of DVRs or just plain receivers.  I have been with them 12 years, never had this problem. Been paying for the protection plan since day one.

They are sending a tech out saturday, but have to wonder if any gurus out there have any ideas, or know that this is a known problem by D* and has been known for years, accdg to some things I have read.

Some examples of worst case, wtching HBO The Day After on saturday, needed volume to 100 just to be listenable. My wife watches, usually records her soap, Bold and Beautiful, on CBS, and it always has to be at 100.  I also find many stations, like MSNBC need to be around 75 or so.  Something is very wrong, and wondered what light anyone here can shed on it.

There are so many well informed people here as I have found many times over the years.

Thanks for any help. 

Live Long and Prosper
HR24-100
Samsung HL-S5687W 56" DLP
HR22-100
Panasonic 50" CRT HD (one heavy dude!)
Slimline 5LNB Dish

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,376 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:02 PM

The receivers do not control volume, they send a line level signal and it is amplified at the next connection ( TV, AVR, etc. )

Are you connected directly to the TV from the receiver ? What type of connection / cable are you using to connect ?

Have you tried resetting the receiver ?

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   HolmesCo

HolmesCo

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 730 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:09 PM

The receivers do not control volume, they send a line level signal and it is amplified at the next connection ( TV, AVR, etc. )

Are you connected directly to the TV from the receiver ? What type of connection / cable are you using to connect ?

Have you tried resetting the receiver ?

Thanks, yes it is directly connected, to Component 1. I have no AV Receiver or anything fancy, just connect directly to the tv.   PS3 and XBox are both connected via HDMI, and they both are fine.  The tv has just two HDMI inputs.

I am curious, if the receiver does not control the volume, why there is variation. IE some channels are somewhat ok, some middlin, some horrible.

Thanks for the response.

Live Long and Prosper
HR24-100
HR22-100
Slimline 5LNB Dish

#4 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,376 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:12 PM

Have you tried removing the X box or PS3 and plugging that cable into the DTV receiver to see what it does with the different connection ?

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#5 OFFLINE   HolmesCo

HolmesCo

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 730 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:18 PM

Have you tried removing the X box or PS3 and plugging that cable into the DTV receiver to see what it does with the different connection ?

I have thought about this, but the equipment is atop a entertainment unit, and at my age, I have a bit of a balance problem. Even a 3 ft ladder is a bit scary to me. I am thinking this is something the tech may try.  

One thing I could do, is get to back of tv and move from component1 to component2. Not sure if that is totally different circutiry or not for the volume.

But if lets say the XBox HDMI did correct the problem for the DVR, I don't believe the xbox has a  component video output, though I am not sure. I don't use the xbox a lot, but would still want it to have correct volume. A bit of a dilemma.

Live Long and Prosper
HR24-100
HR22-100
Slimline 5LNB Dish

#6 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,376 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:23 PM

With a balance problem you definitely do not want to be on a ladder.

You could try changing to Component 2. You could also try another set of red and white audio cables if you have them.

#7 OFFLINE   HolmesCo

HolmesCo

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 730 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:27 PM

I guess I have forgotten, does the component video cable not have audio included? If it is a separate rca type needed, then we would be back to having to climb up there to change them.   I just can't remember if component is simply the RGB cables or it is also has audio as part of it?  Thanks for your help.

Live Long and Prosper
HR24-100
HR22-100
Slimline 5LNB Dish

#8 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,376 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:30 PM

Component Cable set, Red and White for Audio and Red, Blue and Green for Video.

http://www.amazon.co...omponent cables

Composite Cable Set, Red and White for Audio and a Yellow for Video.

Note that this connection only does Standard Definition resolution.

http://www.amazon.co...omposite cables

Edited by jimmie57, 11 June 2013 - 03:32 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   HolmesCo

HolmesCo

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 730 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:34 PM

Ok, well I might give it a shot then, I can get to back of the tv and swap to component2 and see what happens. Otherwise, will have to let the young buck technician handle it.  :biggrin:

Live Long and Prosper
HR24-100
HR22-100
Slimline 5LNB Dish

#10 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,376 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:37 PM

Ok, well I might give it a shot then, I can get to back of the tv and swap to component2 and see what happens. Otherwise, will have to let the young buck technician handle it.  :biggrin:

If you change connections you will need to choose the correct one in the TV menu for the Input.

#11 OFFLINE   HolmesCo

HolmesCo

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 730 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:44 PM

If you change connections you will need to choose the correct one in the TV menu for the Input.

Not sure I follow you. Don't I just use the TV/Input button on the dtv remote to go to comp2 ?

Live Long and Prosper
HR24-100
HR22-100
Slimline 5LNB Dish

#12 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,376 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:50 PM

If that button controls your input on your TV that is fine.

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,183 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:08 PM

The reason why some channels are louder than others is because HD channels that broadcast on DD has a more dynamic range that the SD channels that broadcast on stereo

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#14 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:15 AM

Go to Menu > Settings > Settings > Audio > Dolby Digital

Turn it off if its on and on if its off and then see if the volume level gets better.

You might need to invest in at least a sound bar if you're expecting loud volume as most TV speakers aren't meant to fill a whole room with rich loud sound.

spam firewall