Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

On Demand - painfully slow?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   heddhunter

heddhunter

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:00 PM

Is navigating On Demand on your HD DVR painfully slow?  Mine is.  My wife was trying to find something last night and it took ages just to get the screen to come up, then each button press to go down a page in the listings took 10+ seconds.  That can't be right.  I know there are other ways to find the information (web site, ipad app) but if you've already got the TV on why bother with a second screen?  (Except right now you kinda have to.)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:46 PM

This has been noticed when using channel 1000.  If you know what channel your program is coming from, try putting a "1" in front of the channel (TNT is channel 245, TNT on demand is 1245).  Also, if you notice white triangles on the names of the channels in your guide, highlight the channel name and press select to go to its on demand page.  These pages will navigate much quicker than channel 1000 which houses all of the on demand content.  If you know the name of what you're looking for, just do a smart search for it.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#3 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,710 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:54 AM

What model HD DVR do you have?  Have you tried resetting it?

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,271 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:31 PM

, if you notice white triangles on the names of the channels in your guide, highlight the channel name and press select to go to its on demand page.

IRCC the right key to press is INFO

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:01 PM

When I highlight them, the prompt in the middle of the screen is for "select".  I believe it was the info key prior to the white triangles.  I could be mistaken though as I usually just go straight to the On Demand channel by punching in the number.

My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#6 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,480 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:14 PM

Also it sounds dumb but when picking something from the list, Hit RECORD button, not select then record. Way faster!!!

Unless you want to WATCH NOW!  I find the receiver keeps up faster when doing a "Watch now", Then setting a recording.  Just things I've noticed from my HR34.

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#7 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:16 PM

IRCC the right key to press is INFO

It most definitely is select. If you press info on the triangles it brings up a page telling you what is currently airing on that channel and what will air up to 13 days. Select goes to that chanel's on demand page.

Edited by Volatility, 13 June 2013 - 02:20 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,480 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:17 PM

What model HD DVR do you have?  Have you tried resetting it?

If he has the HR23, its just that slow. Reboot till your blue in the face. Makes no difference!   Reboot may also wipe your ondemand availability for 24 hours too.

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

G15 Internet

#9 OFFLINE   heddhunter

heddhunter

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:19 PM

If he has the HR23, its just that slow. Reboot till your blue in the face. Makes no difference!   Reboot may also wipe your ondemand availability for 24 hours too.

I have an HR22. I'm probably just screwed.

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,271 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:23 PM

It most definitely is select. If you press info on the triangles it brings up a page telling you what is currently airing on that channel and what will air up to 13 days. Select goes to that chanel's on demand page.

Yep, I stand corrected. This must have changed recently.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#11 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,480 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:31 PM

Yes its just that slow!   You can try a reboot, But again I've been through all that a million times.  If you have the Protection plan, you should call directv and see what they can do.  Maybe your equipment is worse then normal.  But It sounds normal to me unfortunately.

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

G15 Internet

#12 OFFLINE   B Newt

B Newt

Icon

• Registered
  • 697 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:27 PM

Is navigating On Demand on your HD DVR painfully slow?  Mine is.  My wife was trying to find something last night and it took ages just to get the screen to come up, then each button press to go down a page in the listings took 10+ seconds.  That can't be right.  I know there are other ways to find the information (web site, ipad app) but if you've already got the TV on why bother with a second screen?  (Except right now you kinda have to.)

Yep I have the same problem with my HR 20-100. Started about 2 months ago for me. Done several resets to no avail.

Edited by B Newt, 13 June 2013 - 05:28 PM.

HR20-100 s/w version 0x192
au9 dish NO multiswitch or diplexers.
Internet connection via WIFI.

#13 OFFLINE   FussyBob

FussyBob

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:17 PM

I have 2, HR22 receivers. I just checked, when I click on "All" On Demand which is max number of listings it takes 22 seconds for the first page list to show up, after that each page list take 1-2 seconds to show up.

I find this quite fast!

#14 OFFLINE   B Newt

B Newt

Icon

• Registered
  • 697 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:35 AM

I have 2, HR22 receivers. I just checked, when I click on "All" On Demand which is max number of listings it takes 22 seconds for the first page list to show up, after that each page list take 1-2 seconds to show up.

I find this quite fast!

I get the same results when I click ALL. When I click animation under interest it takes 58 seconds before the listing pops up and 8 seconds to load next page of listings. 

HR20-100 s/w version 0x192
au9 dish NO multiswitch or diplexers.
Internet connection via WIFI.

#15 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,349 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:45 AM

Also it sounds dumb but when picking something from the list, Hit RECORD button, not select then record. Way faster!!!

Unless you want to WATCH NOW!  I find the receiver keeps up faster when doing a "Watch now", Then setting a recording.  Just things I've noticed from my HR34.

Same with the 24s.

Rich

#16 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,349 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:50 AM

Yup.  Not much you can do about it except getting a better model.  A 24 won't have that problem, but I doubt if that's enough of a problem to get them to send you a 24.  I'd keep calling until one of those calls triggers a truck roll or a call from Case Management.  Be persistent and polite, I know how difficult that can be but it pays off in the end.

Rich

#17 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,349 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:50 AM

Yes its just that slow!   You can try a reboot, But again I've been through all that a million times.  If you have the Protection plan, you should call directv and see what they can do.  Maybe your equipment is worse then normal.  But It sounds normal to me unfortunately.

Yup, sounds normal to me.

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...