Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Odd playback issue on Genie the past two nights

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   carillon

carillon

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:03 PM

Last night and tonight I have recorded the show The Voice on my Genie. Both recordings display stuttering and digital artifacts every so often during playback. These recordings were made during a time where there was no rain in my area. Other DVR'd shows the past two days don't display any of these issues. I didn't watch them live, so I don't know if these glitches happened during the broadcast or not.

Anyone else seeing this?

SlimLine-5 SWM-8-LNB Dish (HD Service / WHDVR)
HR34-700 Genie / Sharp 52LE700UN HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA
C31 Genie RVU Client / Dynex HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA
HR24-500 / Panasonic TC-P54S2 / HDMI / Networked - DECA
H24-700 / Toshiba SDTV / Networked - DECA

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,305 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:05 PM

Have you tried running the Hard Drive BISTs ?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,464 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:15 PM

Are you seeing this directly on the server or on a client?

If on the client, it could be because the path from server to client is a part of that hostile environment the signal has to go through before it is decoded. If the signal was marginal when recorded, (and that is typically not something you would be able to see visually due to error correction), going through the LAN from the HDD to your client might add just enough more deterioration for it to fall off the digital cliff occasionally (there is not enough error correction to correct all of the now-increased level of errors all of the time).

Just one possible thing that could be happening.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#4 OFFLINE   gpg

gpg

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,697 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:38 PM

Last night and tonight I have recorded the show The Voice on my Genie. Both recordings display stuttering and digital artifacts every so often during playback. These recordings were made during a time where there was no rain in my area. Other DVR'd shows the past two days don't display any of these issues. I didn't watch them live, so I don't know if these glitches happened during the broadcast or not.

Anyone else seeing this?

I've had this from time to time on my HR34-700. It only happens to shows that I record on WNBC NY 4, and maybe occurs once or twice a month. I'm guessing one of the tuners on my Genie is maybe a little off for whatever signal that channel has, but since I can't replicate it at will, I've never tried getting a service call on the receiver.
HR24-200,HR23-700,HR21-200, HR21-100, HR34-700,
Sony KDS-R50XBR1,HDMI, LG 37LH40,HDMI Vizio 390-A1,HDMI,Sony KDL-40NX711, HDMI, Vizio VO320E, HDMI, SWM16 with DECA,
Sony STR-DG1000 AV Receiver optical cable connection for HR24-200, GenieGo

#5 OFFLINE   drehrlich

drehrlich

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:04 PM

I've had this from time to time on my HR34-700. It only happens to shows that I record on WNBC NY 4, and maybe occurs once or twice a month. I'm guessing one of the tuners on my Genie is maybe a little off for whatever signal that channel has, but since I can't replicate it at will, I've never tried getting a service call on the receiver.

This has been an ongoing problem for me for a few months with the local NBC channel.  The picture will stutter/pixelate and the audio too.  I am seeing it on the HR34 and the remote H25s too.  Seems to be OK if one watches a live broadcast.  

#6 OFFLINE   ricksigler

ricksigler

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:59 PM

We've had the HR34-700 since December and have had some problems with stutter/pixelate also.  I didn't notice until last week when we recorded AGT on NBC that the problem was really bad on that channel.  All last week I recorded the Tour De France on channel 220.  The shows are 3 to 3 1/2 hours long.  Not one of the shows had the stutter/pixelate problem.  This morning I recorded the show off the local NBC channel and it was painful to watch.  Every couple of minutes I would get the stutter/pixelate problem.  I'm now convinced that the local NBC channel causes the most problems with playback and just can't figure out why the local channels would be so bad.  I do know that the local channels time shift (record and re-broadcast) the channels to account for the difference in mountain time and maybe that contributes to the problem.  I also noted that I didn't see any of the stuttering/pixelate problems during the commercials.  I don't want to replace the receiver unless absolutely neccessary because of all the timers and I'm not sure a new one would be any different.  If anyone comes up with a solution, I'd love to hear it.  BTW- I've done all the diagnostics that people recommend.

#7 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:01 PM

The problems with theHR34 and some NBC local channels have been reported by a few posters. Replacing the HR34 will not help. I know DirecTV is looking into this and if I hear anything I will post it.

#8 OFFLINE   nelsonrl

nelsonrl

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:58 PM

I am having the same issue. Only on NBC. No other networks appear to have this issue. Strange thing is that commercials seem to be fine.

Edited by nelsonrl, 30 July 2013 - 10:04 PM.

• Doug Brott likes this

#9 OFFLINE   Carter

Carter

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationFrisco, TX

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:36 AM

I am having a similar problem but with a different station.  The stuttering / pixelation only occurs on the ABC affiliate here in Dallas during the weekend recording of the transmission of Good Morning America (6am Sat, 7am Sun).  The recordings of both have had the problem for the last 4 weeks.  It it too early to watch them live but will try this weekend.  As others have noted, the problem is on the HR34 itself and all of the clients.  Spoke to the Engineer at the ABC station (also a Directv user) and he had no problem watching it at home but he watched it live.

Never see the problem at any other time on any other channel.  Spoke to Directv and of course they are having no issues.  Station Engineer said could be the extreme Texas heat could cause slight mis-alignment in the cool morning.  I've had the Dish up for 5 yrs with no prior issue.  Also, I watch the same channel live on weekdays with no problems

Does the change in temperature seem like a possible cause?  Could a signal that looks OK live be a problem recorded?

Thanks

#10 OFFLINE   kocheski

kocheski

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:41 PM

I am having the same issue. Only on NBC. No other networks appear to have this issue. Strange thing is that commercials seem to be fine.

Same thing here in NW NJ with the local NY NBC station.  Only the NBC HD station, standard def works fine.  Comes and goes but almost always only happens during shows and not commercials.  Problem occues even if I am watching "live" while the program is being DVR'd.  I have to record the SD version and hope I am home to watch HD version live.  Tech coming out tomorrow to look at but not very hopeful as appears this is a bigger hardware issue.  Only affects 1 station which is the weird part, have called customer service 4 times over past 6 weeks about this and they know it is not a NBC transmission issue.

#11 OFFLINE   nelsonrl

nelsonrl

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:38 AM

Be interesting to see what the tech finds.

#12 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Registered
  • 362 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:06 AM

Same issue for me, on both HR34-700 and HR20-700, only for me it is the local CBS (Philly CBS3). I also had it once or twice on a RSN, channel 662, on which I record a baseball game almost daily. I haven't seen it in a few weeks, but on one of the occurrences I had a recording of Under the Dome that recorded on both boxes, and the stuttering/freezing/pixelization happened on both boxes, in exactly the same places, which was the first half of the program. That rules out a hard drive issue.

#13 OFFLINE   kocheski

kocheski

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:12 AM

Be interesting to see what the tech finds.

Tech came and gave him all the details.  He had not heard of this problem before and talked to his supervisor who only heard of one other simiar case.  There are no cabling, signal or other issues and he (like me) is convinced that this is some inherent problem to the HR34 receiver and the NBC HD signal when ytou DVR the program.  He would have swapped reveivers but I have about 50 hours of recorded shows that I have not seen and did not want to lose them at this time.  He is going to investigate further but said he would anticpate a DTV software patch to fix this in the future.  Of course the more people that bring this to DTV's attention the faster it may get addressed.  I wonder how prevalent this problem is.  I know my parents just got the HR34 and where DVR the late night talk shows on NBC and had the same issue which is what led me to not ask for my receiver to be swapped since I think this is a problem with all HR34 receivers. So weird how it is just one station (NBC HD), only when DVRing and the commercials don't seem to be effected.  Felt bad for the technician because really not uch he can do.  I showed him a DVR of AGT from Tue that was terrible and tried to recreate by recording what was on when he was here but of source the problem did not show up this morning.  Seems like if I want to record something on NBC I have to record the SD version but if I am around I can watch the live HD version.  Hope they remedy this annoying problem soon. 

If you are having this problem definetly call customer service as the more calls they log on this issue the more likely they will speed up the fix.  I am curious how widespread this is and if most people just ignore it thinking it is something temporary or some weather related issue.

#14 OFFLINE   kocheski

kocheski

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:27 AM

Same issue for me, on both HR34-700 and HR20-700, only for me it is the local CBS (Philly CBS3). I also had it once or twice on a RSN, channel 662, on which I record a baseball game almost daily. I haven't seen it in a few weeks, but on one of the occurrences I had a recording of Under the Dome that recorded on both boxes, and the stuttering/freezing/pixelization happened on both boxes, in exactly the same places, which was the first half of the program. That rules out a hard drive issue.

Does this happen often or was this a one time issue (just with that episode of Under the Dome)?  Could have been a weather issue if just the one time on both receivers.  My issue is definitely not weather related.

#15 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Registered
  • 362 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:50 AM

Does this happen often or was this a one time issue (just with that episode of Under the Dome)? Could have been a weather issue if just the one time on both receivers. My issue is definitely not weather related.

It definitely wasn't a weather issue, and I had seen this happen on at least one other recording of Under the Dome previously. That one wasn't recorded on both boxes. We got the HR34 installed in May of this year, and initially we were seeing this issue quite frequently, both on live TV and recordings on the HR34. At that time, it didn't seem to be channel-specific. Recently, I've only seen it on recordings from the local CBS channel, and once on the RSN 662. I rarely watch live TV, but I record a fair amount, and haven't seen this on any other recordings. Come to think of it, I think the only thing I'm recording from CBS at this time of year is Under the Dome, so maybe my sample size is too small.

#16 OFFLINE   kocheski

kocheski

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:29 AM

It definitely wasn't a weather issue, and I had seen this happen on at least one other recording of Under the Dome previously. That one wasn't recorded on both boxes. We got the HR34 installed in May of this year, and initially we were seeing this issue quite frequently, both on live TV and recordings on the HR34. At that time, it didn't seem to be channel-specific. Recently, I've only seen it on recordings from the local CBS channel, and once on the RSN 662. I rarely watch live TV, but I record a fair amount, and haven't seen this on any other recordings. Come to think of it, I think the only thing I'm recording from CBS at this time of year is Under the Dome, so maybe my sample size is too small.

Sounds more and more like this is a HR34 and local HD network station issue, mainly when recording.  Not sure of how many HR34s are currently out in the market but would expect this issue to become more and more prevelant to DTV as long as people call to complain.  Does anyone in this forum work for DTV?

#17 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,235 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:35 AM

Sounds more and more like this is a HR34 and local HD network station issue, mainly when recording. Not sure of how many HR34s are currently out in the market but would expect this issue to become more and more prevelant to DTV as long as people call to complain. Does anyone in this forum work for DTV?

There are some DirecTV employees who frequent the forum, but they have to keep their work separate from their forum life. However, DirecTV does monitor the Issues threads. I would be sure to post about this issue in the appropriate Issues Thread for your DVR and software version so that it does get seen by the appropriate people at DirecTV.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#18 OFFLINE   shermanator

shermanator

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:32 PM

I had a similar issue with my HR34, initially on just one channel (ABC).  Within weeks it had spread to an occasional problem with the local NBC channel.  I was finally able to catch it happening while I was able to watch the live feed at the same time.  Live feed was fine while the recording was stuttering every few minutes.  Once they heard that I got a new box from a technician the next day.

They changed out the HR 34 with a 44 and the problem has not re-appeared.

Of course my HR44 ran smack into the "identifying receiver" issue that has plagued so many this week but it is fine now

#19 OFFLINE   Satmanager

Satmanager

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:23 PM

I have been having this same problem on the history channel with my HR34-700. Directv thought they fixed the problem with the last software upgrade but it didn't fix the problem completely, just lessen the severity of it.

#20 OFFLINE   Lurkin

Lurkin

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:08 AM

Just to add to the support, I have been having this problem intermittently on my HR34 since about June.  Initially it was on the local CW channel, then, thinking it was a dish alignment problem, I had the dish re-aligned, problem went away for a couple weeks and re-appeared on the NBC and occasionally the CBS locals.  I have an open call for another dish alignment, but just found this thread. 

spam firewall